• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Illinois - Canada Trip Questions

Hollaway21

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I would like to ask you all your opinion on a trip that I have planned. I take a trip with family friends to Ontario Canada each summer and will be doing the same in June. We pull a boat via truck and that is where I would usually be riding the 16 hr long trip. As I just purchased my first bike (2015 NC700x) in November, I got the amazing idea to ride this to our destination. The truck is still going on the trip and I would be able to put the majority of my luggage for the trip (except what I will need for the excursion to Ontario).

My plan is to leave a day earlier than usual and use Google Maps to map out a route that avoids Interstates. I would ride (6-8 hrs/day) and find somewhere to camp after the first night. On the second day I would ride the remaining portion and meet the other guys at a hotel that we always stay at, just a few miles south of the border.

On the way home I would split the trip into 2-3 days and ride the same (6-8 hrs/day) with stopping to camp 1 night if not 2 nights (depending how I am feeling).

I also plan on taking some mild (4-5hr) rides with camping prior to the trip to determine the gear and belongings I will need.

I am also concerned with crossing the US-Canada border. Would riding a motorcycle require any additional documentation or pre-requisites? I am familiar with the procedure of crossing the border in a truck and was wondering if it would be any different.

I am a 22 year old male and find this to be a wonderful trip.
I would love to hear everyone's input if this sounds like something I could/should accomplish.

All feedback is appreciated, Thank you in advance! :D

All you need to cross the border is a passport, whether you're crossing in a car or bike... no difference. As far as the other stuff, not sure really specifically what you're asking... sounds like you're planning a few day trip on a bike... definitely doable.

You need a bottle of maple syrup as an offering for the border agent. You will also need the password... hint: it is "sorry, eh". Otherwise, it is exactly the same as your truck.

When I travel to Canada I call my insurance carrier and have them send me a Canadian insurance card. In my case they have to snail mail it to me so I allow extra time to get it before the trip.

That and a passport should get you there and back.

Surely you ride wearing a helmet, so helmet laws should not be an issue.

Last edited:
All feedback is appreciated

I think it could be a lot of fun and quite the experience!

Couple of questions if you don't mind...

How many total miles are you planning to ride?
How many days (and nights) camping are you planning on?
It sounds like you will be traveling alone, and not with the support truck, is that correct?
Have you motorcycle camped with your NC before?
Have you ever ridden your NC for 8 hours/day? If so, how did you feel the next morning?

Are you prepared for a week or so of rain?
Will you be eating on the road, packing your own food or a combination of both?
Do you have Canadian vehicle insurance?

Motorcycle camping can be a lot of fun or it can be completely miserable (ask me how I know). A lot depends (ok, most) depends on your attitude and expectations. For an adventure, it would be hard to beat. Even if it rains for a week ;-)

I camp with a super light, super quick setup Apache two-man tent Home
Packs pretty small, and most important it goes up in about three minutes, including rain fly. Take down is about four.

For eats I use a Jet Boil stove http://www.jetboil.com/Zip-Cooking-System-Carbon/
Again, super light and boils water in what seems like seconds..Grab yourself some tasty freeze dried dinners and chow down after a long ride.

My mattress is a Thermarest backpacker...super light and comfortable. Packs to the size of about half a loaf of bread Therm-a-Rest

That should get you started. Make sure to leave your Glock at home :)

biggest thing is make sure you have your *** calluses before you attempt this trip!!!
I rode from Ga to Canada, and it was a wonderful time, but it was not my first bike, and I was
already quite comfortable with riding long hours. get you some good ear plugs, they will help
reduce road/wind noise that can wear you out quickly
plan to stop every 2-3 hours for gas, rehydrate, rest.
ENJOY!

I've heard of people trying to do all sorts of things in a big way without doing those same sorts of things many times in smaller ways while working up to doing it in a big way. Usually the big event does not go as well as imagined if the work up to it was not done. If easily riding 5 hours and 250-300 miles is not in your tackle box then start doing it every weekend until riding 8 or 12 hours is nothing. In the meantime you'll learn what modifications you want to do to your bike and what personal gear you'll need. I easily did an 8 day 3500 mile trip on my first NX700 right after I got it - stock seat and all, just the Showkey mod - and had a great time. However I had done other trips like that before and knew the bike and I was up to it.

I have no doubt that you can do this ride and have a great time

A good formula for me has been 350-400 miles per day. Get on the road about 8 am. Do your first hundred miles, then stop for breakfast. Do another hundred, then stop for a break/snack for 20-30 minutes. Another hundred, then a nice leisurely lunch. After that, put another 50-100 and call it a day. If the weather is nice, camp. If the weather is nasty, find a hotel with bar and relax for the evenining. Maybe wash your clothes, take a shower/shave, clean up your gear.

The next day, wash/rinse/repeat.

In additon what others said, call your credit card agency, tell them that you are traveling to Canada and bring the chain lube.

I've heard of people trying to do all sorts of things in a big way without doing those same sorts of things many times in smaller ways while working up to doing it in a big way. Usually the big event does not go as well as imagined if the work up to it was not done.

I have no doubt that you can do this ride and have a great time

^^^^^^^This is sage advice! ^^^^^^^
Overloading your bike with stuff you think you can't survive a night camping without is common with everyone. Less is more fun. Rain gear that works is most important, (Frogg Toggs?) a small cheap $30 tent (that always leaks, but expendable) with a ground cloth to throw over the top as a rain fly. Try to find the least to carry by spending the nite in your backyard a couple of times, unpacking the gear from your bike.

M/C camping trips are great fun (unless you meet some 'Wild Hogs' toasting marshmallows) if you can keep the weight down.

IMG_0253.jpg

(BTW, I can't!)

Ray

Last edited:
Overloading your bike with stuff you think you can't survive a night camping is common with everyone. Less is more fun. Rain gear that works is most important, (Frogg Toggs?) a small cheap $30 tent (that always leaks, but expendable) with a ground cloth to throw over the top as a rain fly. Try to find the least to carry by spending the nite in your backyard a couple of times, unpacking the gear from your bike.

M/C camping trips are great fun (unless you meet some 'Wild Hogs' toasting marshmallows) if you can keep the weight down.

(BTW, I can't!)

Ray
Along with Ray's thoughts and advice when I started motocamping a veteran told me when I got home from the first trip to sort everything into three piles. One pile was the stuff I used on the trip, the second pile was stuff I might use next time, the third pile was stuff that was not used and probably would not use every trip. Secondarily if I needed third pile items they were available on the road at a store or shop somewhere. After a few trips the first and second piles were much smaller and everything pretty much fit in two panniers and a top case or tailbag.

In additon what others said, call your credit card agency, tell them that you are traveling to Canada and bring the chain lube.

^ Excellent advice here ^

Make certain you do both before leaving. Never go on a trip without chain lube.

And honestly, I'd take 2 of my credit cards just in case as well. Maybe $100 cash in your pocket too. From my experience, pretty much any business in Ontario accepts US currency. If you're not a lazy *** like me, you could even go to your bank or a currency exchange and get $100 Canadian before going.

The last thing you want to be in is a situation where you don't have access to funds in a foreign country, even Canada. Two credit cards and $100 in your pocket and you're gold.

Don't forget that chain lube either!!!!

Back