• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I got Gas... and for the first time... (no pun intended)

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy everyone,
I am loving my NC and had to get gas for the first time today. Question... is there any advantage in filling with premium? What is the average gas mileage per tank (I have the DCT)? Your help is appreciated.

Darin

In my experience, the best thing to do to get the best mileage is to keep tires at the proper pressure, and to control the right wrist :D

Your manual states up to 10% ethanol fuel with minimum octane rating of 86 may be used.

Run the 87 most states have and be happy you are not wasting your money. Do try to find top tier fuel stations.

As for average mileage per tank that is highly dependent on your right hand and riding conditions. For my own rule of thumb 180 miles guaranteed no mater how I ride and what I'm riding in/on.

For my work commute I know 200 miles before the light starts blinking.

One thing is for sure, we will never get that mileage those old school manual shifting guys get. I've never gotten higher than 70.1mpg. I average 64mpg

Look at fuelly.com LINK for the bell curves. *take note imperial and US gallons are different in volume than US gallons.

One advantage can be in some states or areas some premium does not have ethanol...............and in that case it is usually clearly labeled....... no ethanol.

I agree with OriginalRocket, I get about the same results. Premium does get better mileage because of the higher octane, but not really worth the money. On a motorcycle you will notice which local gas stations you fill up at get the best mileage. You could never see this difference in the car, but it does stand out on your bike. Soon you will see that there is no logic to the whole thing. Some of the high price brands get the worst mileage, while some of the low price brands get the best mileage. Got to try them all to figure where you will purchase regularly.

It's been said many times here before. The manual states to use (R+M)/2 octane 86 or higher. There is no benefit to using a higher octane gasoline on this bike. Strictly based on octane rating, your mileage will not improve with higher octane. The octane rating is not a measure of the fuel's energy content.

Range on a tank and MPG is based on several factors: throttle opening, road speed, engine speed, wind resistance, rolling resistance, stop and go vs. steady speed. Keep steady speeds when possible and minimize all the other factors and you'll get the most range/mileage. Vehicle speed seems to play a major role.

I run 87 in all my engines (about 20). "Works fine, lasts a long time". "Doesn't rust, bust, or collect dust".

Greg

Last edited:
Since I've doing the 100+ mile daily commute I have come to some conclusions. I have tried the non ethanol gas and found it less beneficial than is espoused on many threads. My mileage was worse than the ethanol regular. I really agree with the comments on controlling your speed. I have a 6 speed manual and I am regularly getting over 70mpg IF I KEEP THE SPEED UNDER 70 MPH. Over 70mph will affect your mileage, period.

It's been said many times here before. The manual states to use (R+M)/2 octane 86 or higher. There is no benefit to using a higher octane on this bike. Strictly based on octane rating, your mileage will not improve with higher octane. The octane rating is not a measure of the fuel's energy content.

Range on a tank and MPG is based on several factors: throttle opening, road speed, engine speed, wind resistance, stop and go vs steady speed. Keep steady speeds when possible and minimize all the other factors and you'll get the most range/mileage. Vehicle speed seems to play a major role.

I run 87 in all my engines (about 20). "Works fine, lasts a long time". "Doesn't rust, bust, or collect dust".

Greg

You can't argue with the King of MPG's. I use premium when its the only octane without ethanol. I generally use 87 octane because I can get it without ethanol.
I have filled up 48 times and my best mileage is without ethanol on a long ride without frequent stops. 670cc is at the top of the food chain in fuel mileage, so if you want the best mileage, follow his lead.
I will beat his record someday but will probably have to push my NC a few miles to beat him.

I have been really happy with my NC, I have a high of 81 mpg (60-65 mph flat back roads to Ajo and back) and low of 69 (80 mph going up the Black Canyon highway to Flagstaff at 80). My bike has the Honda bags and medium CalSci windscreen.

Technically speaking I would think that there would NOT be a big difference in gas mileage between the manual and DCT versions. The DCT is a manual transmission with automatic actuation. In most car transmissions there is a torque converter, a pump to keep up line pressure in the ATF, these create frictional losses resulting in lower MPG's. That's why the engineers designed lock-up converters to help offset the losses, also 6 speeds or more.

ed

I really have no idea why the DCT is rated, and does get lower miles per gallon. My current theory is the hydrolics, always pumping, so you have frictional loss.

coz I own one and riding two up worst mpg is 66 with spirited riding(mostly sport mode) any where up to 100mph!
best so far is 76mpg. 186 miles using 10.95 litres = 16.98 x 4.5 = 76.43mpg.

Back