• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much should a tire mount cost for a ride in...

nrsheikh

Reaction score
Visit site
Two tire change cost at a shop...ride the bike in. I know removing the wheels are cheaper....but I am not that skilled. I need to know cost for this as I will need this soon and a shop to take it to. I just called RJs in Nashua, NH and was quoted $75 a wheel. Fire away people! I live in NH BTW if any locals on here.....

A couple weeks ago I was charged $30 for a rear tire change, $88 for the tire itself - total after everything just over $120. And that was me taking the bike in and them doing all the work. Of course, the mechanics were members of the same group as I am, so there was a discount for that. Shop around, ask around.

"$75 per wheel" you don't say if that means bring the wheels in yourself or bringing the bike in so I can't comment on if that's a decent price or not. If that is the price with you bringing the wheels in then that seems really high to me, I've never paid that much even when I had the shop take the wheels off.

Last time I used the Ducati shop here (Nebraska) it was $25 per wheel when you brought them in. If you want to bring the bike and have them remove the wheels then it was around $55 for the front and $65 for the rear.

The other shop I use now (a small independent shop) charges $25 per wheel if you bring them in. I can't remember how much more it is if you bring the bike in, maybe +$20 per wheel.

I haven't taken the wheels off my NC yet but on my other bikes it's usually a 10 minute job for each wheel, so usually worth it for me to take them off myself. Then I can drop the wheels off which is much easier than dropping the bike off since I don't need to arrange a two rides for drop off & pick up. But if aren't comfortable using a torque wrench then you should just take the bike in.

if you are handy at all you can spend $25 on a torque wrench, watch some youtube videos on how to use it and save some money.

You should compare the total OTD cost, my independent dealer will price match tires to online prices, with that + their low per wheel charge I end up saving over $100 on a set compared to the Honda dealer.

Take the rim and tire to a tire auto shop. You must remove from bike. Mahine to install tire is the same. Teach the person putting on the tire how to do a motorcycle tire. Make sure direction of rotation is correct. The dot on the tire must be aliened with the tire stem. Motorcycle tires are pre-balanced before they leave the tire factory, that is the dot on the tire. Usual cost about $10.

[..The dot on the tire must be aliened with the tire stem. Motorcycle tires are pre-balanced before they leave the tire factory, that is the dot on the tire.]

Not entirely true. Avons and perhaps some others lack the white dot. And the white dot (light point) is supposed to be aligned with the tire valve (the heavy point).

I've been doing my own tires for the past 10-years and I've never had a tire that didn't require some weight so they're not "pre-balanced" as in not needing weight.

$75.00 per wheel sounds about right, I believe that is what they charge near me.

You say you can't take the wheel off, but I bet you'd be surprised by yourself. I too didn't think I could, and for right now, the only tire I can't mount is the rear wheel of my wife's Gold Wing...I do take the wheel off and the tire, then take the rim and wheel to the shop where they have gone from $25.00 to $35.00 just to mount the wheel.

The local shop will mount and balance for free on tires bought from them and will do the removal and install of the wheels for $30 each. Their tire price for a set of PR4s was slightly less than buying them from Revzilla.

In Fort Smith, AR I buy my tires at Honda and they put them on while I wait. I do get discounts, but the cost is $35 each.

The general rule of thumb at all the bike shops i have worked at are one hour of labor if the wheel is on the bike/half hour of labor if you just bring in the wheel. Obviously the shops labor rate determines the actual price following these guidelines. Some shops offer discounted labor for various reasons such as buying the tires there/regular customer/etc.

SO I found a place in MA that did it for me. $50 a wheel ride in. Dismount and remount. Super nice shop too. Looked like a hole in the wall place, but they were pretty good.

I usually take the wheels off and take them in, but today I bought the tires and had them do everything. $50 per tire In Raleigh, NC and I paid on-line prices for the tires.

wow im lucky then ,my local shop does it for ten quid each tyre whether you buy it off them or not ..that's them doing all the work themselves. A&G motorcycles Dumfries.

I usually take the wheels off and take them in, but today I bought the tires and had them do everything. $50 per tire In Raleigh, NC and I paid on-line prices for the tires.

drdubb, I know a place in Oxford (Ancient Iron) that will mount and balance for $25 per tire when you bring the wheel in. It's mainly a Harley shop, but Roland will work on metrics as long as it's not too indepth.
He loved my VFR's Single sided swing arm. He would let me ride the bike into the shop, and remove the tire and he'd mount it and balance it and watch me put it back on in a couple minutes and just charge me the $25 fee (I brought the new tire with me from an online purchase). I would just bring in the front wheel, since it's quite a bit more involved when I needed to mount a front tire.

BTW I am hoping to get out and ride Saturday for a while. Maybe run up towards Virginia. I just have to get back in time to get a few hours of sleep before heading into work Saturday night. Let me know if you feel like riding Saturday.

Last edited:
The general rule of thumb at all the bike shops i have worked at are one hour of labor if the wheel is on the bike/half hour of labor if you just bring in the wheel. Obviously the shops labor rate determines the actual price following these guidelines. Some shops offer discounted labor for various reasons such as buying the tires there/regular customer/etc.

Yes but its barely a 15 minute job

Two tire change cost at a shop...ride the bike in. I know removing the wheels are cheaper....but I am not that skilled. I need to know cost for this as I will need this soon and a shop to take it to. I just called RJs in Nashua, NH and was quoted $75 a wheel. Fire away people! I live in NH BTW if any locals on here.....

My local independent mechanic charges $80 for both.

How much does a tire change cost?

Obviously, YMMV here. Just wondering how much folks usually pay for a tire change, preferably at Honda dealers, or at other MC shops.

Is there a flat rate time allotted by Honda for this?

How much do they add on for misc fees and taxes?

Might be useful to compare how prices change if you buy the tires elsewhere?

Back