• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many time have you dropped your NC and how ?

How many times have you dropped your NC ?

• 0 times

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • 1-5 times

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • 6-10 times

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • 11+ times

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

rumberobueno

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to be quite creative at dropping my bike. I dropped it 4 times now and each time in a different way ;-) ...

Drop #1: I was at a dirt riding clinic and we were doing the slow "race". Well, I guess I was racing too slow and I dropped it.

Drop #2: After a 2 day camping trip I was filling up (only about 50 miles left to home out of about 750) and I pull into a gas station. There wasn't much space to the left between the bike and the pump so I said cool, I'll dismount on the right side. Left boot caught on my bag which was on the back seat and brought the bike down ... together with my gorgeous self ;-) ... Good thing I had all the gear on. Hitting my head on the cement without the helmet wouldn't have been fun ...

Drop #3: I was motorcycle camping with a friend and his regulator died (he has a 94 VFR ;-)). So I suggested we swap batteries. Obviously my bike won't start with his discharged battery so I try to start it by going down an incline. Trouble is it didn't get enough speed and guess what happened at the bottom of the little hill ?

Drop #4 (yesterday): I was about to continue S on HWY 9 and was ready to make a left turn when I see some cars coming from the right. At that time I stopped but didn't have the presence of spirit to straighten the bike first ;-) ...

The good thing is that my bike has engine guards and Givi boxes so when it gets dropped the only side effects are some scratches on the guards and the appropriate rear box. Love that stuff ...

What are your stories ?

Last edited:
First time was outside cycle gear, dismounted. I had lowered the bike and hadn't gotten the side stand shortened yet, so was using the center stand most of the time. There was enough of a slope that I couldn't get it off the stand mounted, so I got off and tried that way. I got it off the stand, and it toppled over to the right. Four guys suddenly appeared out of nowhere to help the damsel in distress right her steed.
2 & 3 were in Death Valley on a "noob and big bike friendly" road that had been graded gravel when it was scouted. It had rained (flash flooded?) between then and when we rode it, and I had no business riding any motorcycle there, let alone something so big. I was in good company though, and my bike was refreshingly easy to pick up compared to the GSAs on the ride. While I can't say it was fun exactly, I do have fond memories.

Is a drop anytime the bike has been down or only no speed fall overs? If anytime then I've lost count. For no speed fall over:

1) first month I had her I fumbled the clutch at a red light and over to the right she went. I had spectators for that one and had to replace the mirror.
2) 2nd night camping on the COBDR, put her on the centerstand. Right leg sank into the dirt and over to the right she went. I kept her on the sidestand after that.
3) Again on the COBDR, riding at night to make it into Lake City we stopped to clean off the headlights so we could see. Threw my leg over to get back on and lifted her off the side stand only to find my right leg was over a hole. Over to the right she went and I rolled down the embankment for a couple of turns.

Every off I can think of has been to the right except for one.

I dropped mine at the BRC class. I was looping around and expected the rider where I had to stop to move up in line. He didn't and I had to slam the brakes with the wheel cut hard right. It was more of a controlled, "I'll put this right here," rather than a drop, but it still scratched some stuff up.

1) Got it home from the dealer, put it in front of the bicycle rack in the garage, trying to get it straight, handlebars got tangled in the spokes of the bicycles and the bicycle came down on top of me, and the motorcycle went down leaving me under a pile of two wheeled transportation, only scratch was from the bicycle dragging something across the windshield.

2) few months later, my wife wasn't home, my car was parked in the driveway, so I decided to do a U turn in the garage so I could just pull out next time I took the NC out... About halfway through realized I wasn't going to be able to pull this off and came to a stop at a slight angle, put my foot down, and there was sand (probably dragged in from my wife's car over the winter)... Managed to keep it from being a hard fall so no real damage... but still a bit embarrassing.

I now only ride the bike straight into or out of the garage, I turn around in the driveway where sand gets washed away by storms and such, and when I do need to maneuver in the garage I sweep the floor thoroughly first.

Two:
1. At a gas station moving the bike from it from the right side and not realizing I had folded the kickstand. When I leaned it back away from me couldn't hold the weight when the kickstand wasn't there.

2. In very slick mud with street tires about 10 mph.

1/ foot down on cambered gravel
2/ ditto
3/use of front brake on grass carpark
4/u turn on badly cambered road
5/15mph black ice corner
6/u turn on really bad track
7/ new tyres causing grip on a track I normally spin the rear up ..it gripped and I accelerated too fast to make it around the corner eeeooor
8 /various parking on soft ground
9/knocked over whilst parked to upright on a slope
10/parked facing downhill and it......
11/left a disc lock on ....
only scratched bar ends ,bent gear and rear brake pedal and scratched exhaust cover ...result !!!! I have no protective parts fitted at all save barkbusters and a sturdy rear plastic carry tray (which has saved the most damage by far and cost 4 quid)

Probably jinx myself, none so far.

This thing is the tallest bike I've owned and down slopes on the right side have nearly got me a few times.

For me:

1. The first time I dropped NaNCy was when I was parking out on the street. The pavement was uneven and the bike high sided while I was still holding on. I found myself lying across NaNCy and I got a little banged up in the process.

2. I dropped NaNCy back in July 2014 while making a low speed turn and I went down. I later found out that the Metzeler Z8s that were on the bike were cause of the reareand to washout on me. NaNCy took the worst of the beating, I only got me knee ground up through my jeans.

IMG_3414.jpg

Needs to say that I went out and bought myself some Sliders All Season 2 Motorcycle Pants after this incident.

1.) I ran my 2012 out of gas one time to ascertain the usable amount of fuel capacity. I coasted to a stop on a deserted little road and pulled out a piece of paper to write down the mileage. I puttered around with the trip odometers and GPS trip meter a moment then started to get off the bike to get the MSR bottle of gas out of a tool tube. During the time I was messing around with the trip meters I thought I put the kick stand down but I did not. The bike dropped out from under me at zero mph.

This message is to those that have voted that they have not dropped their NC700 yet.

It's just a matter of time before you do. The first time will be the most emotional for you. :(

Once it is over, you'll pick her up and move on down the road.

Last edited:
First time was in my garage. I was installing an accessory (can't remember what) and had gotten on the bike to check something. It needed adjusting and in my hurry to change it, I forgot to lower the side stand.

Second time, I was exiting a gas station onto a side street. I had just started to make my left turn onto the street when I saw a car round the corner from the main street directly in my path. I hit the front brake and since my bars were turned, down I went with the bike on top of my leg. Nothing hurt but my pride.

Once and OCR caught on film and no I will NOT link it :) When doing a U turn, have it in gear.... not neutral.... I felt like a upside down turtle laying there. Bent the shift lever a bit, no other damage.

Obviously my bike won't start with his discharged battery so I try to start it by going down an incline. Trouble is it didn't get enough speed

A point to remember is that if the battery is completely flat you cannot push start it. There has to be at least enough battery to operate the fuel pump and run the ECM/PCM.

"Had to lay er down" when some bright cone decided to block my path , got er stopped just in time

.....actually the wind blew it over

6 or 7 times.
Once in the garage - foot rolled over an extension cord.
Once in the church parking lot - foot slipped off the centerstand.
Once making a u-turn at a rail road crossing.
Once - the big one - crashed into a ditch and totaled it. Had it fixed. Still riding it!
The rest in the yard "practicing" .

1) Decided to let my girlfriend take it out for a ride. She was very nervous seeing as the bike is much taller than her ninja. She got on the bike, got it upright, shifted to first and let go of the clutch while giving it some gas. Off she went.
1 foot later she grabs the biggest handful of brake she can muster and lays it down on its left side. She was startled but a-okay. She would not attempt anymore tries however. Barkbuster was lightly scratched and slightly bent.

2) Several months later...I usually park the bike in the garage on its center stand. While in a hurry I grabbed it from its right side and turned it on and rocked it forward to get it back on two wheels. I walk it out of the garage and down the middle of the driveway to let it warm while I put on my gloves. As I begin to let it down gravity takes the bike away from me and I quickly think "No!TheKicksta...!"
The bike landed in the same exact spot my girlfriend had parked it previously. I pushed myself off of it and look around to see if any neighbors caught me. None, good. Picked it, started it and was on my way. I could feel the redness in my face projecting out of my helmet. Needless to say I always make sure the kickstand is down.

Last edited:
A point to remember is that if the battery is completely flat you cannot push start it. There has to be at least enough battery to operate the fuel pump and run the ECM/PCM.

Interesting point. I guess this is in contrast to carburated bikes which I assume you can push start with a flat battery.

I did manage to push start it the second time when a few people helped push the bike.

Back