• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question How did I get away with it?

retroman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks:

Just got back from a ride where I was going 10mph over the speed limit in a speed trap. There were plenty of officers around as well as a few cars pulled over. Question is: Are our speedometers accurate or ,like my ST are they deliberately set above the actual speed of the bike? When it says 55......is the NC going 55? Can't imagine why I wasn't pulled over when my speedometer said I was going 65 in a 55 zone.

Bob

Every speedo on my bikes (Honda, Kawasaki, BMW) has indicated a couple MPH greater than actual. Sounds like you were lucky in any case.

Hey Folks:

Just got back from a ride where I was going 10mph over the speed limit in a speed trap. There were plenty of officers around as well as a few cars pulled over. Question is: Are our speedometers accurate or ,like my ST are they deliberately set above the actual speed of the bike? When it says 55......is the NC going 55? Can't imagine why I wasn't pulled over when my speedometer said I was going 65 in a 55 zone.

Bob
My 2012 NC700X speedometer is very accurate, the best I've had since a 1982 Suzuki. Compare to a GPS if you want to know about yours. Different country markets seem to have intentionally different speedometer calibrations. My CRF250 and GL1800 Hondas are 5% off (so I since added speedo correction devices), but the NC is nearly dead on.

Speeding is so common wherever I travel in the USA, I assume enforcement of the traffic laws is near non existent. Seems if you don't travel 10 over the limit, you're considered a obstruction to traffic flow.

Last edited:
Canadian model. GPS 100 km/h = Speedometer ~95 km/h. My ST1300 was exactly the same.

Euro model is about 8kph optimistic at 100kph indicated.

OP resides in the US (North Carolina, I assume). While we have discussed in the past that at least early NCXs had large speedometer error in some country markets, users here reported very good accuracy on USA models. As I said before, the OP needs to check the accuracy on their personal NC. What experience everyone else may have doesn’t really matter.

Presuming the speedometer was accurate, it is relatively unlikely that an operator would get pulled over for 10 over; especially true if radar without axis vs laser were being used to measure speed. If you were traveling 65 in a 55, and the onset angle of measurement was 20 degrees, your speed would register at right about 60 MPH. Though radar measurement is not the only observation required to stop an operator for speeding, you’d very likely need to be traveling way above that for a stop.

Radar with axis are capable of calibrating for angle but are not allowed to be used in all states.

10 over will definitly get you pulled over here in Ohio. I once got a ticket for 30 in a 25 in my Honda Civic. Besides the local leo's which are eager, the Ohio Highway Patrol have a saying "Over 9, you're mine". I won't go more than 7 over on the freeway and 5 over on the back roads here.

Last edited:
I have a system for avoiding speeding tickets that has worked well for over 45 years. I simply obey the posted speed limit. It probably ticks off a lot of other drivers, but it works. What’s the hurry? If I was running late for something, I figure I should have left earlier.

I've got a theory. A lot depends on whether the alleged speeder is faster than most traffic or speeding to keep up with prevailing traffic. Five MPH over the speed limit and 10 MPH over with prevailing traffic will get you a ticket whereas 10 MPH over the speed but 5 MPH over prevailing traffic will get overlooked. I catch myself slowing when I feel like I'm passing somebody too quickly, especially any type of trailers.

Mine's a couple MPH optimistic but closer than most bikes. Download a free speedo app on your phone to check your speed. Mine's called "Speedometer" (original, right?) and it has a large display I can easily see while riding.

Hey Folks:

Bob

My 2018 Nc750x DCT shows 75 when my GPS says I'm doing 70.
What's this about speedo correction devices? Is this possible?

My 2018 Nc750x DCT shows 75 when my GPS says I'm doing 70.
What's this about speedo correction devices? Is this possible?

I have speed correctors on two of my motorcycles called SpeedoDRD, by a company called 12 O’clock Labs. The device allows speedometer correction down to tenths of a percent, if I remember right. I had at one time in the past also installed one on my NC700X, but only because of a tire and sprocket size swap. Their site lists the 700X but not the 750X, although that’s not to say it’s not compatible. I don’t know about availability in the UK.

Hey Folks :

I don't make a habit of going over the speed limit but in my case I was cruising down a divided 4-lane where the posted limit was 65. I was admiring the scenery and did not notice that the 4-lane was no longer divided but had a 5th turn lane. The limit went down to 55. I was legally speeding at that point ....along with everyone else ( most of whom were passing me).

Back