• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hmmm...Sporadic phfttt..phfttt. noise at freeway speed.

d'milan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all

Been riding my 2016 DCT700 a bit more these days.
1,600 miles now

In fact, for the first time ever, I whacked it wide open in Sport mode the other day and let it do its thing all the way up to 85 mph with-out backing off the go stick. Pleasantly surprised at how hard it pulls, and the excellent shift quality.

Anyway

Usually, I wear a helmet.. sometimes not.
Without helmet, (or ear plugs) when at freeway speeds, say 60- 75 mph, there seems to be a non rhythmic, fairly steady, but sporadic phfttt...phftt......phfttt noise from the right front of the bike.
I almost want to guess that it sounds like an air leak.. but it has a slightly metallic edge to it.
Bike runs great...
Just sort of caught my attention..
Strange
Anybody else notice such a thing, or better yet, know what it is?

Thanks

when I open my visor I can hear my front tire more. but it is rhythmic . check and see if somethings loose. vibrations can really loosen fasteners. I get some funny sounds in the car when a leaf of pineneedles are caught somewhere .

When accelerating hard on my former NCX there was an almost metallic rhythmical whistling sound of air coming from the front of the bike. It was of course the air intake to the air filter box just behind the steering stem. I have the same motor in my X-Adv and the airbox is in the same position and again I hear the same familiar sound under acceleration on occasions. Perhaps that is what You are hearing also ?

I groan like a performing jazzman who groans, to cover up all the sounds one can obsess over ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
When accelerating hard on my former NCX there was an almost metallic rhythmical whistling sound of air coming from the front of the bike. It was of course the air intake to the air filter box just behind the steering stem. I have the same motor in my X-Adv and the airbox is in the same position and again I hear the same familiar sound under acceleration on occasions. Perhaps that is what You are hearing also ?

Mehbe...
I like this answer best so far...

My "sound" is random, not really rhythmic, and is present at steady throttle, 60 mph+, not when accelerating hard.

Originally, I was thinking loose exhaust header bolts..
On some bikes, break-in services instruct you to check them at the first service...
I didn't.

Thanks

Last edited:
Usually, I wear a helmet.. sometimes not.
Without helmet, (or ear plugs) when at freeway speeds, say 60- 75 mph, there seems to be a non rhythmic, fairly steady, but sporadic phfttt...phftt......phfttt noise from the right front of the bike.

The beginnings of tinnitus?

The beginnings of tinnitus?

no, that's not it

I'm already well into tinnitus...

Think Led Zeppelin, at the Richfield Coliseum.

APR
Led Zeppelin Setlist
at Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, OH, USA t
Setlist

The Song Remains the Same
Sick Again
Nobody's Fault but Mine
(Blind Willie Johnson cover)
In My Time of Dying
(Blind Willie Johnson cover)
Since I've Been Loving You
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone
The Battle of Evermore
Going to California
Black Country Woman
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
White Summer/Black Mountain Side
Kashmir
Moby Dick
Guitar Solo
Achilles Last Stand
Stairway to Heaven
Encore:
Rock and Roll
Trampled Under Foot

I like to blame everything on the chain so tension check? Different sounds if it is too tight versus too loose.

Yah.. I thought of that
Had the dealer do it when it was there for winter storage...
I sorta eyeballed it... looked okay

Maybe worth a closer inspection though
Could be flappin' around and occasionally hitting sumthin' or nuther

Noise sounds like it's coming from the front / R side though

Thanks

You might take your cell phone and hold it down low and forward while you ride to see if you can video anything that might help. The audio won't be good because of the wind but you might spot some movement of a part. A cheap selfie stick would help.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about a phftt phftt sound wafting about. Those to worry about are the metallic tack-tack clank-clank sort of noises.

I wouldn't worry too much about a phftt phftt sound wafting about. Those to worry about are the metallic tack-tack clank-clank sort of noises.
I'm going to throw in clunk-clunks and thump-thumps. I had a thump-thump do some damage once. You can usually ignore anything that sounds like it came from an AAMCO comercial. [emoji3]

Team

These have been some good thoughts and suggestions (for the most part, always must expect a little humor, grumps, and jokers)
All good...

I was hoping that someone might chime in with...Oh yah.. mine did the exact same thing... It's the __________!

This weekend, I'll check the chain tension and the exhaust bolts...
Meantime, thanks for the feedback.

Back