• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

High cost at the dealer

bode61

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about due for a set of sprockets and chain for my 2012 DCT. I replaced them once already but it was at an independent shop in Colorado where I was on a Moto vacation a few years ago. Today I called my local Honda dealer and was quoted over $300 just for the sprockets and chain. That doesn't include labor. I can't find my invoice from the last time but this seems excessively high. Sticker shock just hit me. Might think about looking into aftermarket for sure now. I know many have used JT from Sprocket Center. Like or not?

I like it. Has been working great for me so far, only about 700 miles on them yet.

I am no mechanic, never even changed the oil in my car (nor bike, yet) and I was able to do the sprockets and chain. Had a buddy (who's done plenty of chains) come assist, but he just mainly watched while I did the work.

$112 (for the parts) and about 30 minutes (for me) to do the work.

I haven't tried the JT I got the D.I.D. Set but sprocket centers customer service was great. P.S. I would recommend getting one if those cheap
alignment tools. Their like fifteen bucks and well worth it

Last edited:
Today I called my local Honda dealer and was quoted over $300 just for the sprockets and chain. That doesn't include labor. I can't find my invoice from the last time but this seems excessively high.

That's crazy high. The OEM sprockets cost about $35 each from most online parts stores. I don't know about the OEM chain, because once I went DID I never went back. The DID costs $70 on Amazon, so you can get all the parts you need for around $150. And if they're gouging you on parts, you know you won't be getting any deals from them on labor. Go elsewhere or give it a try yourself.

I use the Superlite sprockets and DID VX2 chain, but I am sure the JT sprockets are fine. The Superlite RS7 rear will likely go several chains. I have no personal history with JT. I always change the front with a chain - regardless. Having the right tool for the master link and knowing how to install them is critical. If it is your first attempt, you might get an extra master link in case you have to declare a Mulligan on the first attempt.

If you are getting an extra master link anyway. Consider getting one that is a different color then the chain. Using a different color master link makes it easy to tell if you have completely lubricated your chain.

I was distinctly _not_ impressed with my JT chain. It 'stretched' (wore) more and significantly faster than any chain I've used in a good long while. I am aware that others' experience here has not really mirrored mine, which leads me to believe that the supplier JT is using _may_ have the same issues that some of the Chinese bearing manufacturers had several years ago when agricultural bearing suppliers were switching over-- Sometimes the steel is 'no good,' so even if the bearing or chain itself is made well, the poor quality base material results in premature failure.

Maybe that's not what's going on, but my experience suggests this to me rather strongly.

Why don't you try my web site? Just click on south bound Honda logo at top of page, you can look and price all parts and order on line.. Dale Hondabikepro

Back