• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hi from sunny South Africa

Saxeus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello from South Africa!

I've been doing a bit of research on riding motorcycles recently as an alternative for commuting as well as a suitable open-road vehicle with good mileage. What sparked my interest were two things. The increasing price of fuel and everything else that gets driven up with it, and the introduction of good automatic transmissions for bikes.

I'm not a bike rider nor do I own a bike yet, but I have always been interested in two-wheelers. Previously I had dismissed the idea as our roads here are not the safest (the traffic department is a joke, making pitiful efforts to make the roads safer; instead we have little more than an army of speed-trap operators). With the ever-increasing price of fuel and hybrid cars still being prohibitively expensive, I believe the only option for many people is to start biking. I came across the NC700XD while reading about this years local bike-of-the-year award, which was won by the BMW-something-GS, but I also noticed many user-submitted comments singing the praises of the NC700, not least of which was the apparently game-changing technology of its auto dual clutch transmission. I immediately liked the look of the bike as well as the design goals of putting practicality and affordability over performance. With Honda build quality being its legendary self, I was more than a little intrigued.

So I set about doing some more digging for reviews, especially the long-term ones, and general opinions of the machine. That's how I found this forum, coincidently. I only have one friend that's an experienced rider so I've started picking his brains a bit about motorcycling in general and some advice on safety equipment I should consider both for myself and the bike (when I decide to get one, that is). Sadly my late uncle is not around to help me now - he was an avid biker in his youth until he suffered a fairly severe accident. I still have his vintage leather jacket though, complete with a silver-winged "Velocette" pin.

As I've never ridden a bike before, the idea of an automatic transmission seems like pure gold to me, until the skills of counter-steer cornering are confidently mastered. I've also started looking into some necessities apart from the bike itself, most importantly the helmet. I've seen an advert for a UVEX enduro helmet made of carbon-fibre and kevlar weave; extremely light but a little expensive so I'm not sure if it's worth getting that level of protection. I'm not familiar with brands and quality at all so I'm hoping this forum can assist me with this.

Ok, that's enough from me for one post. :p

Welcome from Abu Dhabi. Nice intro.
I cant assist you with your inquiries as I'm a newbie. However I'm sure many folks here would be willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Last edited:
The first thing I would suggest is taking a motorcycle safety course. I'm not familair with South Africa but I would guess you have access to that. That would be the best first step.

Not knowing the road conditions first hand I couldn't tell you if the NC is a good choice. There are several riders on this forum that do a lot of off road riding. Depending on your situation a tire swap may be needed. If it is bought there they may already have it tired for the currect condions.

There are lots of gear brands and choices. Some of it comes down to personal preference and the cost your willing to pay. It's good you have a friend that can help you through that. Best advice is to definitely wear gear. All the time. From the sounds of things you probably really need it there.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on chosing the best bike for you. The NC wouldn't be a bad choice for sure. Great Bike.

Seems that you are doing very good research. I own more than one bike and I have the DCT version. It really is a very easy bike to ride, kind of like a scooter but with full bike capabilities. However, I don't know what the motorcycle licensing requirements are in South Africa. If they let you use your own bike, then great. But if not, you may still have to learn manual first. The frunk is great for hidden storage (unless you are familiar with the bike, you have a no clue it has that much storage inside), which will help in any urban situation. It is light enough for a new rider, but powerful enough for a more experienced one. You would probably be very happy with this bike.

I follow one of your South African motorcycle magazines or television programs (The Bike Show) on You Tube. They do a great job of reviewing numerous motorcycles, presenting riding tips and covering motorcycle events in your county. This is a link Season 3; Honda NC700X DCT and Integra DCT Head-to-Head - YouTube to their review of the NC700X DCT and Integra DCT you might enjoy.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Hi Saxeus. Have you gone the NC700XD route already? I've been riding a KTM duke II since 2007 from Centurion to Sandton and ito safety have not experienced much problems on the highway. You just have to be vigilant and a load pipe also helps. As KTM service intervals are short & service costs high, I changed to the NC 700X in November last year and have had a breeze since. Looking at a mod exhaust at the moment as the stock can is nearly silent!

I've been sold on the NC for some time now but the last I heard was that the dealers here are out of stock and were only offering the new 750's in Jan or Feb. No more 700's. I saw one the other day again, but I see more BMW GS's than you can shake a stick at these days. I've also occasionally been checking the used market but found no DCT's at all. Not a one. Either they're snapped up quickly or those who have them are not selling them. Not that it matters much since I can actually afford a new bike and the fact that Honda offers a free basic riding course with every new bike - something which I was prepared to spend on anyway. That money will now go into better safety gear.

More pressing however, is getting my bike licence, with all the red tape that goes with that particular exercise.

I'll follow up with the local dealer in the few days to see if things have changed.

Back