• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Here's a Thought (With 2015 Versys 650 LT comparison notes)

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
And maybe it's not that original but while out riding yesterday it occurred to me that my NC700x is the street equivalent of a trials bike. We recently added a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT to the stable and Donna and I did some technical touring through the TN hills yesterday to test the LT's performance in the mountain "goat trails". The Versys was proficient but not quite to the proficiency of the NC. The hill country we rode in has extremely steep, twisty roads with all manner of lousy pavement and road debris to dodge. The NC just rips in those types of conditions and while the Versys was completely competent and fun the NC was more, it was a blast.

Both bikes displayed great versatility as we did a short 5 mile stretch on the Interstate where they cruised effortlessly and smoothly at 80 mph and when we got back to the technical stuff both bikes felt secure and planted in the rougher sections. The Versys is more comfortable with a fantastic suspension that is plush yet controlled. My NC has a sportier, more controlled feel with the Cogent stuff and it is a close second for comfort. The fun factor of the firm (not harsh) Cogent suspended NC put a smile on both our faces when we took turns running the bike through technical sections. In the steep stuff you could rev the Versys engine and match the pace of the NC but the relentless, diesel-like torque of the NC made for a more controlled and enjoyable ride. I was able to run away and hide from Donna when she was on the Versys but when we switched bikes she always stayed much closer when she was on the NC.

The Versys has an excellent spread of torque and it is geared to rev but the NC is the peppier hill climber of the two. Up, down, level the NC accelerates at pretty much the same pace. As we were running a section of road that turned to dirt suddenly I decided to run a quick trials-type route through a field and the NC handled it with ease. The Versys would have required a lot more clutch work to pull off the same maneuver and the more top-heavy feel would have made it more difficult and less fun.

When the NC came out I knew it was a serious contender to the Versys and I was intrigued by low revving, torque-rich engine design. After two years of ownership the NC continues to impress me. What I never imagined was how I could match the nimble and quick steering Versys but with the help of the suspension upgrades and some minor geometry adjustments the NC is actually more nimble than the stock Versys. Another NC700 feature advantage is of course the gas mileage. We filled up before our ride with each bike showing 194 miles on their trip meters (following some very sporty mountain riding the day before) and the NC took 2.8 gallons of gas while the Versys took 3.6. The Versys does win the tank range battle due to its 5.5 gallon fuel tank. On tour (our touring is primarily 2 lane stuff) the Versys could probably do just over 300 miles easily where the NC could eke out 250 if ridden conservatively. I am thinking I would like add another Versys LT to the fleet as the idea of us touring on the same make/model of bike with such a great tank range appeals to me. The NC stays because it is so much more fun for how/where I normally ride so the bike I would replace would be the ST1300. My how midsized/small bikes have improved.

Last edited:
I have the Cogent suspension at my house waiting to be installed. Won them in a raffle at the last rally I went to. Waiting for the time I can take it to be done. This isn't something I am going to attempt.

I have the Cogent suspension at my house waiting to be installed. Won them in a raffle at the last rally I went to. Waiting for the time I can take it to be done. This isn't something I am going to attempt.

Did you get the rear shock and front fork DDC/spring kit? That would be a great raffle win! The rear shock is a simple install requiring only loosening and bending up the right side flexible plastic cover to fit a ratchet extension for the 17MM nut as Honda put a hole in the frame just for access. The DDCs/fork springs are as simple as a fork oil change which does require fork removal, a simple task if you have a centerstand.

Just the front kit, but still an awesome win. As for the install, gonna have a mechanic do it - I am not comfortable enough to do something like that.

Just the front kit, but still an awesome win. As for the install, gonna have a mechanic do it - I am not comfortable enough to do something like that.

Easy work for a mechanic but make sure they follow Cogent's instructions on setting the oil level (and preload if you got new springs). I weigh in the 240 range with gear and the front end sag was spot on with the stock springs and spacers installed. I do prefer the feel of the linear rate replacement springs over the progressive stock springs with the DDCs installed.

Back