• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much could you realistically modify a nc750x?

After reading your general description I believe you might find that the Africa Twin would check all he boxes. Especially being 6 5 you would probably like the seat in high position and a small tank bag to replace the forward trunk. I had both a 750 and an AT and in the end I stick with the 750 and sold the AT to a guy who was about your height.l am only 6’ tall and the 750 is the perfect fir. Go with the AT in whatever flavor you like and you will be supremely satisfied.
Thanks for the input man.

Unfortunately not a fan of adventure bikes, I just don't get on with wheels over 17inch

Over the last few weeks I have test ridden quite a few bikes

Ninja 1000sx - I love it. The engine is amazing, I am just not used to cornering on a more sports focussed bike. It did not feel small or uncomfortable, but seeing a photo of my on it I look a tad ridiculous. Went out for 2 hours, no back or shoulder pain just pure fun. Could do with slipper clutch though.

Suzuki GSX 1000 GT - the direct competitor to the Ninja.. felt a LOT more aggressive, probably due to the higher rev range. Even with traction and all controls fully on the front wheel was coming up slightly. Didn't like the brakes as much and the bike had so much more vibration than the ninja. Same comments regarding ergonomics as above

BMW S1000XR - I was really excited about this, but alas, I hated everything about it other than the power. Could trail brake in corners on it, didn't like the engine. Plastics felt a bit cheap.

KTM 890 SMT - the new super motor tourer. Never ridded a KTM before, made sure all the controls were on for the test ride. Very manoeuvrable, seat was comfortable. Enough power, brakes good. Things I didn't like were actually sitting quite high on a bike and the quick shifter was terrible. Also no used about for sale so would be at least £12500 plus touring gear.. plus £850 if you want to keep all the electronic goodies after 1500 miles.

Tracer 9 GT + - went out on this on Saturday for 2 hours. Took it on the same twisty route as the Ninja. I have to say, whilst there is a bit of vibration I do love the CP3 engine. The sound is awesome, third gear on that bike is amazing. It had the comfort seat on, which wasn't as comfortable as it could have been, but there's things you can do about that. Love the slipper clutch and rev matching going down through the gears. The only thing which put me off slightly, was the slightly jittery feel coming from the front wheel; when approaching top speed (on private closed road of course :) ) but I think that can be resolved by getting rid of the hand guards and a proper suspension set up putting more weight on the front wheel. The new TFT screen is very smart.

Not sure I would go for a GT + unless I find a good deal on a used one in Jan / Feb when I am looking to change bikes, as you are paying quite a bit more for a nice screen, adaptive cruise control with radar (which I am not really bothered about) and apparently a newer quick shifter which lets you change up when decelerating and change down when accelerating.

So it's between the Tracer 9 GT and Ninja 1000sx really I think.

The Tracer 9 GT is definitely easier to throw around in the corners, and does pretty much have enough power, electronic suspension is good too.. although there is something about the inline 4 on the Ninja and the racier riding position.

Decisions decisions..

The Triumph Tiger lineup is impressive but many have 19" wheels. I am a taller rider, 6' 02", 34" inseam and It fits me just about perfectly right off the showroom floor. The 1200 line is screaming fast.

Back