• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help! Should I buy this used Honda Blackbird for a song?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hello friends,
Can you help me make up my mind?

1997 carb-operated CBR1100XX (aka Blackbird outside USA).
55,000km.
Titan silver. Looks very clean and well kept.
Very cheap (2 previous owners).
Buying from a known biker friend in my biking group in Switzerland.

Does anyone know of any problems or hidden issues with this model (1997)?

Can you convince me it is ok to buy this bike even if my biking time is very little?

:confused:

The blackbird is definitely not a beginner bike. It is fairly heavy with tons of power. In its day it was the fastest bike available until Suzuki brought out the hayabusa. Story I heard was hayabusa in Japanese means peregrine falcon. Peregrine falcon's diet consists largely of blackbirds.

The blackbird is definitely not a beginner bike. It is fairly heavy with tons of power. In its day it was the fastest bike available until Suzuki brought out the hayabusa. Story I heard was hayabusa in Japanese means peregrine falcon. Peregrine falcon's diet consists largely of blackbirds.

I am not a beginner. I just sound like one....
:p

Used bikes in Switzerland are so.....value for money.
The riders seldom ride and they usually put them under sheltered (indoor) garages.
Hmm...I am very tempted coz I like to go from Zurich to Munich under 2hours. This would be the right tool.

Last edited:
Excellent reliable and fast bike. Much more comfortable if heli bars fitted. Only down side is the running cost especially for tyres. Otherwise this is an excellent buy. FI version better than carb version
My only concern would be if you say you found the Crossrunner a bit too heavy with more power than wanted then you will find the Blackbird heavier with a great deal more power

Last edited:
What are the penalties in your country for exceeding 273 kph? I haven't the self discipline not to go out now and then and see if it goes as fast as it did the last time.

Excellent reliable and fast bike. Much more comfortable if heli bars fitted. Only down side is the running cost especially for tyres. Otherwise this is an excellent buy. FI version better than carb version
My only concern would be if you say you found the Crossrunner a bit too heavy with more power than wanted then you will find the Blackbird heavier with a great deal more power

Weight is a concern for me if it was my only ride.
A BB is not a Crossrunner. I was comparing CR to NCX.

For this BB, I will make the effort to "tame" it. The acceleration and speed makes it "worthwhile".
I am no stranger to big heavy bikes.
Thank you for your comment.

Last edited:
What are the penalties in your country for exceeding 273 kph? I haven't the self discipline not to go out now and then and see if it goes as fast as it did the last time.

Recently Switzerland introduced harsher penalties for speedsters. I am no speedster.
I only do the speed on DE autobahns.
:D

Hi Happy,
I have a 07 XX with 50'000km in New Zealand. Very good bike, need a few mods. Suspension front and rear + full exhaust system on mine. Very good brakes and stable. Good range with 24L tank (injected). No problems with it all this time.

Zapf

Hi Happy,
I have a 07 XX with 50'000km in New Zealand. Very good bike, need a few mods. Suspension front and rear + full exhaust system on mine. Very good brakes and stable. Good range with 24L tank (injected). No problems with it all this time.

Zapf

This one is carb-operated.
It looks very well maintained and the price is unbelieveable, 3000chf o.n.o.
I am still undecided coz my riding time is very limited and it could become a white elephant in the stable.
:p

Back