• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet fogging after installing Madstad

SuppressedShooter

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a 24" Madstad windscreen to help with wind noise. It did help, but now my helmet (Schuberth S2) drop down sun visor is fogging up. I'm guessing because of the lack of airflow now with the Madstad. I have the windscreen lowered all the way down. It maybe the temps I've been riding in too low 50's F? The clear shield with the pinlock has been fogging a little too but I can deal with that just by opening it at low speeds. I'm a very new rider so any input would be great. I really don't like the bright sunlight so I may just get a dark face shield.

Fog city makes a stick on piece that goes inside the helmet on your visor that eliminates fogging. It's about $20

Sent from my Moto X Pure using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm referring to the drop down dark sun visor on the Schuberth S2 that is attached by cable and has a lever on the side of the helmet.

My fault, I read too quickly...doh In addition to what Beemerphile said I hear Johnsons Baby Shampoo is supposed to help. I would hear about it all the time from the hockey players. I would think anything that would work for a hockey visor would also work for the sun shade.

You have to read some of the reviews on this stuff. LOL. This is one taken from the site.

This is the only anti-fog that has worked for me. I have no idea how this stuff works, but if putting cat poo in it is wrong, I don't wanna be right;)
(There is no cat poo in this stuff, I was just trying to be funny)
(Actually, I have no idea if there is poo in it, so disregard the previous comment)

Fogging is unfortunately a frequent result of a good screen. There are many anti fog products available. However one that works for me is to put some undiluted washing up liquid on a piece of soft tissue paper or a spectacle lens cleaner, and apply it to the inside of the visor, wiping in a circular motion until the screen dries completely. That has worked for a reasonable period for me. I have also seen folks do the same with some of their own saliva.

option1 -Does your Shuberth have a Breath Deflector or Breath box installed. I have the same issue with my glasses when its humid - but i ride down to 33 degrees.

Also open your chin vent for sure just to help cool temps inside and get your breath out.

option 2 - tinted lens with anti fog coating. HJC makes one that works better than pinlock imo, not sure about your Shuberth

option 3 - get a madstad windshield mount so you can angle the windshield down when necessary (great to do in rain too)

Unfortunately, I've never had a *perfect* fog free visor, pinlock, or witch's brew of obscure ingredients applied to a visor, that has worked 100% of the time. Some don't work at all, some a little bit, some made things worse, and very few worked ok for a while, or only under a certain set of circumstances. If there is enough of a differential in temperatures or sheer amount of moisture/humidity in the air, it overwhelms the abilities of nearly all the anti-fog methods available, sooner or later.

Best results have been pinlocks or fog city laminates, second best Hydron coated visors that came OEM on some helmets I've purchased decades ago. Often, venting is the only real option, and as you have discovered, take away that via lack of air flow or a sealed visor, and it's tough to do anything that lasts for more than a few miles.

I've never had a bike with a substantial windscreen, let alone a large one that blocked airflow, but I do live in a very humid environment. My observations may not line up with many other parts of the world riding conditions, so do note that. Don't give up, lol.

There is always the nuclear solution of one of those devices that route the airflow from respiration to the outside of the helmet. One such from sunny England is the Respro Foggy. I have a balaclava with a breath exchange port on it that you can leave outside or tuck into your jacket to pre-warm the air. Be careful tucking it in if you use a one piece winter suit and are dealing with a bout of flatulence.

You may try a product like that:

Defog It
Moto Solutions

I've tested only the second because the first wasn't available at E.U.

It's working great on my glasses but after some time (about an hour or two) saturation removes the coating. You've to clean the glass and reapply...

But I think the best is to try to play with the airflow...

I live in Seattle and ride all year, even on those rare occasions when the temps dip down into the teens. We get a lot of drizzling rain, so perfect conditions for fogging face shields when you add a big windshield.

Like so many others, I've tried many products and by far the best is the pinlock shield insert. Regretably they don't make pinlocks for sun visors or glasses. :( So my method to avoid fogging those is to not breath heavily when I'm cruising along and getting some small amount of airflow around those big windshields. When I slow down, I make it a point to not breath out my nose and curl my upper lip over my lower lip to direct airflow downward. Works pretty good.

When I stop, I'll raise the face shield to stop fogging unless it's raining. Raising the face shield (with pinlock insert) when it's raining causes rain to get on the inside of the faceshield and muck up the pinlock, making it hard to see. The pinlock doesn't get hurt when wet - it just looks "smeary" (highly technical term ;) ) until it dries.

Last edited:
Back