• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hearing muffled after a 300 miles 24 hours trip

Wow glad I watched that video. Had bought some foam plugs but only used them once so far and was doing it all wrong. Also got some silicone plugs that seem to not block hearing of normal voices and sounds but supposedly still stop damage from wind noise but not sure if they fit right. And they are harder to get helmet over, seem to nock the right one out of place a lot and then it gets uncomfortable after a while.
Have also used my earbuds some for highway riding, hooked to phone with Pandora on. Bad part of that is losing signal a lot, seem to always listen to half of a song and then it starts a new one, or just goes silent but they still block the wind noise.

i recommend helmet speaker. while wearing earplug. i do it. it works. the earplugs wont block the music

I tried speakers mounted in a helmet but I had to turn the volume up so high to hear the music over ambient riding sounds (with ear plugs) the sound quality was unacceptably distorted. I only tried one type of speaker and perhaps another brand would work better but I can't believe they would work as well as speakers built into earplugs themselves where the ear plug attenuates ambient sounds and allows comfortable volume levels delivered deep into the ear.

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response.

1. I have decided to ride only in town for now, keeping under 40 mph.
2. I am going to try the ear foams for local riding and see if it works for me.
3. Hearing muffle is getting better.
4. If things don't work out, I will most probably get rid of the bike. Although I like the bike and way it rides, its just not worth it and this has nothing to do with nc700x, but motorcycles in general.

I will see what the doctor has to say end of this week.

4. If things don't work out, I will most probably get rid of the bike. Although I like the bike and way it rides, its just not worth it and this has nothing to do with nc700x, but motorcycles in general.

by the way, every bike would be different to everybody ... i got a Yamaha Vino 125. i take it up to 55, and is still very quiet. the NC700 take it up to 55 and it much noisier. the design and aerodynamic of each bike will play diff with every bike.

(my) audiologist will tell you that any constant noise over 85 decibels will permanently damage your hearing. Wind noise typically measures out at ~110 decibels. the medical term of damage hearing like this is tinnitus...and it's not reversible, this little hairs inside your ears don't grow back... so for me anything over 5 minutes, no matter where I'm going gets ear plugs. I also find that I have much less mental fatigue by wearing earplugs...

I always wear ear plugs when riding more than a couple miles. Always. I commute on the highway and freeway ~80 miles round-trip each day. My helmet is not very quiet, but it's the only one that fits me without giving me a headache.

I suggest that you consider wearing hearing protection when you ride. I don't find it objectionable at all, and it saves me from tension headaches, reduced hearing, and fatigue on longer rides.

No one can tell you with complete certainty whether you've done any permanent hearing damage or not. That is, at least in part, a 'game' of chance. I was a farmer for a long time, and I am still a relatively high-volume shooter (thousands of rounds per year of high-powered rifles and some pistols). I have much better-than-average hearing for my age. Did I mention that I wear ear plugs? :)

For me, riding a motorcycle is "normal" and driving/maintaining a car is not normal. It's a different way to
commute and you have to be prepared for that difference with gear and hearing protection, etc. The fun
factor, easier to see around, easier to get around and saving gas are the things that are worth it.

Is it more dangerous? Yes, it is. It is not the thing for everybody. No one here will fault you for doing
what you feel is right for you.

Once a fellow has been married for 50 years, he soon learns the adventages to selective hearing

vat?? ya never at home ya always out playing wive ya bike.

I always wear ear plugs whether short journeys or long'n.
once your ears are buggered there's no turning back so protect what you've got NOW.

Last edited:
you get in a car - wear your seat belt
you get on a bike- wear helmet, jacket, pants, boot, EARPLUGS

is part of the game. wanna ride? it is what it takes

Ear plugs ...

Quality ear plugs rate their effectiveness on the package.
- Poor ones give about -20 dB attenuation.
- Quality ones are -30 dB,
- While the best are -33 dB.

This is a huge range. I would suggest not to buy any plugs under -30 dB.

I have custom molded silicon plugs which are excellent, but they are expensive at around $100. I also have foam plugs which are rated at -33 dB; they are just as quiet, and sell for about $1 each pair.

If you have never worn plugs before, then do realize that you will not be able to hear other vehicles behind/beside you as well. The only serious incident will be that emergency vehicle sirens are less audible. But that should not be an argument for not wearing ear protection. Just recognize that you must rely more on your sight (move your head around).

I too have experienced some reduced hearing for the first few hours after many hours (more than 6) on the saddle. The following are ways to prevent or reduce ear strain:

1) ride slower as the wind noise is less intense,
2) occasionally crouch down below the medium height wind screen where the space is very quiet,
3) invest in a taller wind screen. The quietest will be about as tall as where your ears are,
4) rest a bit longer in silence at each gasoline fillup - 30 minutes would be great, 15 mins is minimum.
5) don't ride for long hours. For me, 6 hours is my limit; over 6 hrs and I can expect some ear strain.
6) ALWAYS WEAR EAR PROTECTION, even at slower city speeds.

Last edited:
I have a custom pair of earplugs from Arizona Al. He attends several rallys or if you are ever near Mesa, AZ where he lives he will make you a custom pair and help you adjust your helmet foam too. Great guy, great service and a great price.

I always wear earplugs,

they are comfortable to wear,

and the ride becomes much more comfortable when wearing earplugs,

A couple things that wear on a rider during a ride, Noise, I wear my earplugs, and sun in your face and Not having a helmet or sunglasses for protection, I have sunglasses and a flip down sun-visor in my helmet.

wind noise is the number one reason for hearing loss for motorcycle riders.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I did a hearing test to make sure everything is okay and the test came out in the normal hearing category. In fact the audiologist was surprised that I am taking a hearing test. She wanted to know what prompted me to take it, given the fact the results were good.
Doctor visual inspection turned out to be fine too, nothing abnormal.

It took about 2 nights after the ride before the hearing muffle disappeared. Something to keep in mind for anyone else who might run into this in the future. Again everyone's body is different, so account for that.

I have been riding the bike with earplugs. So far so good. I think I will keep this bike for sometime. It rides very well controlled and nimble. Not planning on taking it on freeway ever, its going to be my city commute bike.

Thanks again!

I have to come clean here. I am a motorcycle noob, having started riding 2 years ago. I got a cheap HJC CS-R1 helmet and read that I needed to wear earplugs. But when I went for a ride the noise didn't seem to be that bad. So I haven't been wearing earplugs. I assumed that one didn't need earplugs when wearing a full-face helmet!

And it seemed to be working for me. This summer I took a couple of trips and was on the bike at highway speeds most of the day, and I never noticed any hearing problems. I did get tired after riding all day and always had a strong urge to sit quietly (and eat!) but one would expect that in any case - right? I think I got lucky and got a quiet helmet without realizing it.

I spend a lot of my time bent down behind the tall windscreen (the Honda optional one) and it is quiet back there. I can hear the engine/exhaust at 70 mph. My clutch elbow rests on the frunk and it's quite comfy except for my throttle hand. (I only do this when the road is straight and there isn't much traffic - but that's almost everywhere in South Dakota).

I have a pair of custom earplugs for chainsawing, as I can't get the foam ones into my tiny little ear canals. I'll try wearing those and see what the difference is.

I figured out that, when my head is in the wind above the windscreen, the main noise generated by my helmet was the upper edge of the visor - there is a gap between the visor and the helmet and it can kind of whistle. So I filled that in with weatherstripping and it got quieter.

I just need to ask - you're all wearing full face helmets, right?

I always wear them except when i'm offroading 1st and low end 2nd gear work only though.

It's part of my suit-up routine.

Pants, boots, backprotector, (neck cloth if it's cold) coat, secure to pants, ear plugs, helmet, gloves.

I quickly found out, 20 odd years ago, that riding without ear protection is just too much of a strain.

Back