• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has DCT technology changed much over the last few years?

colty31

Reaction score
Visit site
I am very interested in getting a NC700 DCT bike. There are a couple 2012 models near me for a decent price. Has Honda's DCT technology changed very much since 2012?

If I bought a 2012 would I be purchasing an inferior product to what is available now?

Pretty much the same DCT in the NC700 since 2012. Two more sport modes were added in 2016, but that's not enough reason to shy away from a 2012-2015. If the 2012s are a good price, get one!

Pretty much the same DCT in the NC700 since 2012. Two more sport modes were added in 2016, but that's not enough reason to shy away from a 2012-2015. If the 2012s are a good price, get one!

I agree. The addition of two additional Sport modes is really not that exciting, if not confusing.
Seems like they added them 'just because'. but I am sure they tweaked other
software codes to make the engine and gearing smoother.

Watch some youtube reviews. They will give you a better idea. Several say it's a big improvement but don't take my word for it.
*edit* Actually, that's probably the overseas 750 version so... apples and oranges.

Are those bikes new or used, and define decent price.

Dealers have new 2014 DCTs listed for as little as $5300 (MI) and a lot of years are listed at just under $6000 all over.
New manuals start at $4300 if you don't mind travel to MD.
2016's are kinda pricey at the moment, but once the 2017s are out and there are some factory incentives, it should bring prices down around $6500 if you have any negotiation skills.

Last edited:
I am very interested in getting a NC700 DCT bike. There are a couple 2012 models near me for a decent price. Has Honda's DCT technology changed very much since 2012?

If I bought a 2012 would I be purchasing an inferior product to what is available now?

The bike has remain essentially unchanged. You'll pay a premium for the new style. (I did.)
Most of the differences are software and cosmetic.

You'll also have to wait a bit for accessories that have any interaction with the body plastics (screen, bags, frunk) as most of the manufacturers haven't updated their products for 2016.

I own a 2015 DCT bike. I use the manual mode 90% of the time. Having more auto options would be nice, but not worth the extra cash. The manual mode works very well and I never have to worry about the clutch. Hopes this helps you make your decision.

I own the 2012 NC700 DCT and have had a 2015 NC750 DCT as a loaner. There is a stark difference between the old and the newer DCT, they programmed the new DCT to slip the clutch a lot more in both 1st and 2nd gear, which makes low speed maneuvers a lot smoother and easier to handle but also makes for a bit more disconnected ride. As far as I could tell, the DCTs were identical from 3rd gear up. You don't have the NC750 in the states but if the latest NC700 is delivered with the additional sport modus selection, I'm sure it has the same slipping programmed in. I'd say the newer DCT is definitely programmed better than the older ones, but I'm not sure if they actually changed anything in the hardware. It takes a bit to get used to how the older DCT handles low speed riding and I would definitely prefer having it slip the clutches a bit more, but all in all it's not something that I think is a real detriment to my bike and if you get a good deal on a second hand or late-year DCT model, I think it would be worth the trade-off unless you plan to spend a lot of time in heavy traffic (where the newer DCT shines). The extra S-modes are nice to have but for spirited riding the singular S-mode of the older DCT is just fine, and when you're really in attack mode you'll end up shifting manually most of the time anyway because the DCT can't look in front of you and see that hairpin coming up. Track riding is great fun in manual mode!

Agreed, the 2016 NC700 is probably programmed better/smoother with the additional sport modes, but the 2012-2015 Nc700s are the same in the US. I don't think the brand new one is worth the 8-9k premium over buying a used 2012/2013.

Watch some youtube reviews. They will give you a better idea. Several say it's a big improvement but don't take my word for it.
*edit* Actually, that's probably the overseas 750 version so... apples and oranges.

Are those bikes new or used, and define decent price.

Dealers have new 2014 DCTs listed for as little as $5300 (MI) and a lot of years are listed at just under $6000 all over.
New manuals start at $4300 if you don't mind travel to MD.
2016's are kinda pricey at the moment, but once the 2017s are out and there are some factory incentives, it should bring prices down around $6500 if you have any negotiation skills.

I'm currently in Portland Maine and they're doesn't seem to be a very good selection on DCT bikes. The best deal I've found so far is a 2012 model on Craiglist with an asking price of $5200, but I could probably talk it down to under $4800. I don't really have the money right now so I'm just looking.

Back