• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

has anyone changed a CB500x for a NC750x???

peanuts017

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a CB500X for 3 years now (14,000 km) and i'm thinking about switching to the NC750X...
I don't feel comfortable on the highway with my CBX. It feels too light and the wind bothers me even though I bought a tall windshield. I think I also would like a little more power.

I like the seating position of the CBX that's why my first thought is to look at the NCX.

I'm a 5'2'" woman with 29.5" and I've been riding for 5 years.

The NCX is higher so I would have to lower it a little. I only sat on it in the showroom (I couldn't test drive it :( ) it feels bigger/heavier than the CBX but it doesn't feel out of my league.

Has anyone changed a CBX for a NCX? Any vertically challenged people driving a NC750X?

I would appreciate your opinion!

There's this one on Youtube- YouTube
I have the 750 DCT (heavier) and have a 30" inseam (I'm 5' 6"). I also always wear heavy soled construction boots while riding. I can get both balls of the feet on the ground with stock suspension, and have used an air cushion on the seat for longer rides (adds another 3/4" to seat height). You'll probably need to bring the bars back a bit with risers (I haven't, but am probably just on the edge). Aside from that a larger windscreen might be needed.

I'm 6"2 and I flat foot on the NC. But when it starts leaning, there's no way I can hold the weight, I can just slow down the drop. I'd advise against tip-toeing with a bike that heavy... Last year I rode between Yuma and San Diego, and there were strong wind gusts, I can tell you that you'll probably have the same hard time with the NC in wind gusts than with the CB, although heavier is better I guess I was still a PITA to handle the gusts... but maybe it's the case with all adventure bikes vs. sport bikes...?

I've tried in vain to find it, but I thought there was a recent thread from a woman that had an NC700X and was looking for other options, including the CB500X. I think her reason was that the ergoes of the NC just were not working for her. I can surmise it may be because the NC series bike has a rather long reach from the seat to the bars. Even as a 5'8" male, I can see where that's coming from, as I found the CB500X better, ergonomically, than my NC700X.

It's not the reach to the ground that's the issue, rather it's the reach to the bars, or the seating position that reach forces you in to.

Last edited:
I would suggest the original poster use the comparison feature on Motorcycle Ergonomics to compare her current CB500x to the NC750x. The right hand side has an options feature which includes 'put feet on the ground'. Good luck!

I'm 5'7", ~30" inseam. I can put one foot flat if I slide off to one side, otherwise I tip-toe. It's not too bad as long as you don't let it past 18-20 degrees, after that it's pretty much impossible to keep it from falling unless you have room to run and give it the gas.

Picking it up is easy with proper technique, though it doesn't hurt to have a bit of muscle (125lbs here, all muscle :p ).

I've had a CB500X for 3 years now (14,000 km) and i'm thinking about switching to the NC750X...
I don't feel comfortable on the highway with my CBX. It feels too light and the wind bothers me even though I bought a tall windshield. I think I also would like a little more power.

I like the seating position of the CBX that's why my first thought is to look at the NCX.

I'm a 5'2'" woman with 29.5" and I've been riding for 5 years.

The NCX is higher so I would have to lower it a little. I only sat on it in the showroom (I couldn't test drive it :( ) it feels bigger/heavier than the CBX but it doesn't feel out of my league.

Has anyone changed a CBX for a NCX? Any vertically challenged people driving a NC750X?

Being Canadian you have access to the S model. See if you can sit on one of those as the seat is lower. Happy hunting :)

My inseam is 28.5, I can toe and am comfortable with that. I had to put 2"rox risers on the handlebars.

...Has anyone changed a CBX for a NCX?...

I did, but I'm a pretty average height so I can't comment on the sizing issue.

I did it for the engine characteristics mainly, the 750 lopes along while I was always looking for 7th gear on the CB. Also for the fact that it's a different, more thoughtful approach to motorcycle design and I wanted to support that.

You've already noted the difference in size and weight, and that doesn't go away - nearly two years on the NC and I still find myself wishing it wasn't quite so heavy at times. Not an issue once I'm underway though, although at slow speeds I do find myself having to make frequent adjustments to stay on track, but then I usually ride with a full luggage set on the back.

So size/weight issues aside, if you want a relaxed, laid back kind of ride go for the NC, but if you like your bikes 'peppy' then stick with the CB.

Peanuts:

I have a 28 inch inseam and I feel very comfortable with it.
It feels heavy sitting on it for the first time but you will adjust to it and it should not bother you.
I have back problems and so it is not like I have a 28 inch inseam but have all this power to off set it.
Like others I can very comfortably toe the NC and with a little lean, and not enough to feel it is going over, I can flat foot one side.
Some thoughts.

God bless and ride safe!!

Michael

Rode both today back to back. 500 was a used model. 750 a new one, and dct.

Impression is
The 500 I can flat foot with 30" inseam. I can do ball of the feet (better than tiptoe) on the 750. Also flatfoot one side with the other on the rear brake.
Both are light bikes in my experience from previous bikes Ive owned.

You will need to do a test ride to determine your comfort level. I'd bet you will adapt easily to the 750.

... Any vertically challenged people driving a NC750X?

Not me, but my wife. My wife has a 2016 NC700x, which is dimensionally identical to the NC750x.

Bought a "Soupys" lowering kit and lowered the rear as far as it would go. Dropped the front about 1" too. She can not 'flat foot' the bike even with the lowering but its much better for her now. Her biggest problem is backing it up if there is any sort of slope. She can flat foot 1 side and ball of foot the other side.

CB 500x to NC 750x

peanuts017,

I did exactly what you are talking about. Last may, (2018), I bought a 2017 CB500x that had been siting on the showroom floor for a year.

Here in SC I could not find a dealer that would let me ride one so I bought mine without having ridden it. Bad idea, but there was no other choice for me. At first I thought I had bought the right bike for me. I am 5'8" tall with a 29" inseam, and weigh 235 pounds but with my hectic schedule I could not ride much initially. When I did get out of the city limits and first hit 50mph it scared me to death. Never had I experienced such buffeting and noise. And the front end felt like I was riding on ice, which I have accidentally done before.

The shop would not take the bike back so I began a search for another bike and decided on the NC. Again I had to buy it without a test ride. I had to ride to a shop about 100 miles away, damn near gave them the CB500x, and then got on an even taller bike with an automatic transmission.

Somehow I did not kill myself or anybody else and got the bike home safely. On the way back the bike started to remind me of my VFR. Half the horsepower, but much of the fun. The front feels much more planted and the transmission always seems to pick the perfect gear. Usually I ride in sport 1.

Yes it is heavier that the CB but the weight feels much lower, and I don't seem to be searching for a 7th gear the way I was with the CB.

As someone mentioned, you can go to Motorcycle Ergonomics to see how they compare height wise. I have put 'Soupys Lowering Links' on mine and can now comfortably put the balls of my feet on the ground. I can't put both feet flat on the ground but I am happy for now. If your inseam is 29.5 it should be a bit easier for you.

Forgot to mention that I just turned 68, and prior to buying the CB I had not ridden in almost exactly 20 years.

Good luck,
Slo_Rider

Last edited:
The trouble with lowering any bike is that you change the frame geometry and the damping ratios. For that reason I would purchase a lower bike or wear thicker soles or get a lower seat before I would lower the suspension on any bike. Just my view for what its worth.

That apart the question to be addressed is the change from a CB500X to a NC 700/750X. I have ridden both and most recently the 2019 CB500X. Tbh I found the smaller bike a delight to ride and my mind is made up that there will be one in my future. Having said that, my X-Adv (a derivative of the NC750) would have to go to make room for the CB and I am not ready to make that change just yet because the X-Adv is such a delight to own and ride.

My advice (given your personal dimensions), is to think long and hard before making the change to the larger and heavier bike. It is one thing to ride a light bike that is a little tall for you, but it can be more intimidating to ride a heavier bike that is a little tall for You. The reason being that if the light bike gets a little off centre coming to a stop or at low speed then you stand a good chance of saving it from a fall. However a heavier one may overcome your ability to hold it in the same situation. I say this from experience. I am now 68 and not as strong as I used to be. As such I had started to struggle with the weight of one of my bikes (Triumph 1200 Explorer). On several occasions I came close to dropping it when maneuvering at low speeds. The last time I called a halt and reluctantly swapped it for something lighter and lower (V Strom 1000). I am now much happier with my new ride.

Lastly, I am finding of late that smaller lighter bikes are an absolute delight to ride. Over the years I had gradually gone more powerful and heavier. Now that is changing in the opposite direction and it is much more fun than I ever expected it to be. Am I being left behind ? Unless on a motorway, absolutely not, and even then I am not too far behind unless speed limits are being well broken :).

The trouble with lowering any bike is that you change the frame geometry and the damping ratios. For that reason I would purchase a lower bike or wear thicker soles or get a lower seat before I would lower the suspension on any bike. Just my view for what its worth.

That apart the question to be addressed is the change from a CB500X to a NC 700/750X. I have ridden both and most recently the 2019 CB500X. Tbh I found the smaller bike a delight to ride and my mind is made up that there will be one in my future. Having said that, my X-Adv (a derivative of the NC750) would have to go to make room for the CB and I am not ready to make that change just yet because the X-Adv is such a delight to own and ride.

My advice (given your personal dimensions), is to think long and hard before making the change to the larger and heavier bike. It is one thing to ride a light bike that is a little tall for you, but it can be more intimidating to ride a heavier bike that is a little tall for You. The reason being that if the light bike gets a little off centre coming to a stop or at low speed then you stand a good chance of saving it from a fall. However a heavier one may overcome your ability to hold it in the same situation. I say this from experience. I am now 68 and not as strong as I used to be. As such I had started to struggle with the weight of one of my bikes (Triumph 1200 Explorer). On several occasions I came close to dropping it when maneuvering at low speeds. The last time I called a halt and reluctantly swapped it for something lighter and lower (V Strom 1000). I am now much happier with my new ride.

Lastly, I am finding of late that smaller lighter bikes are an absolute delight to ride. Over the years I had gradually gone more powerful and heavier. Now that is changing in the opposite direction and it is much more fun than I ever expected it to be. Am I being left behind ? Unless on a motorway, absolutely not, and even then I am not too far behind unless speed limits are being well broken :).

Well said. My experience has also been the same. Over my riding career I always had been looking for that bigger bike. After my crash with my heavily modified FZ1 and some painful broken ribs my trend has been to go with smaller and more capable bikes. I think my next step may be the CB500 when I'm done with my NC750. I also own a KLX250 with the big bore 351 kit and it's an amazing fun ride.

Back