• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

hard or soft bags which would you choose?

fumanii

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Trying to decide whether to get a soft tail bag and soft saddlebags or just save up and get the hard luggage. What are everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Mike

I went OEM hard. Water proof, easy on and off, secure, uses ignition key, and mounting hardware doesn't stick out with the bags removed:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2000-bagoffbagon.jpg

The OEM stuff isn't a large as the aftermarket stuff though.

WGW

Hard luggage would be my choice. I commute daily on my bike and will often stop on the way home to pick up something at Costco. So I want something waterproof and lockable.

Chris

Depends on your use. For my use, hard (and large) sidebags with a soft bags on the rack (camping gear) is the best bet.

Hard luggage works for me the best. Beemer has a point about the rack instead of a top case.
Some things wont fit in the top case ya know.

motorcycle flatbed.jpg

I wanted hard luggage, and I have the Honda saddlebags. Where I live, rain really isn't an issue, but lockable and more securely-mounted than a couple bungees or nylon straps (for anti-theft) is a priority. Soft tank & tail bags was all I had on my last bike, and while that was most assuredly better than no bags or storage whatsoever, it was a major pain sometimes when I needed to make a stop or two on the way home.

I agree with the posts which say "depends on your requirements".
If this is for touring (long distances), perhaps hard lockable bags are needed.
If you are touring short distances in "friendly" areas (no thieves, like in Switzerland), soft bags or duffel-bags (those divers waterproof ones) are cheap and practical.
All you need are some good solid bungie cords.

Having said all that, hard fixed luggage is always a good investment.
For me, however, a topcase is all I need.
:p
~Joe

Back