• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handlebars and "numb" arm

calfinm

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive done some long rides over the last 3 weeks and am finding my throttle forearm has been getting seriously aggravated/numb.
This bikes so smooth compared to other bikes Ive owned so I'm loath to think its vibrations doing it. (Ive owned a KTM640E so Ive had the effect of vibes before. everything goes numb!).

What it "feels" like to me is the handlebars seem very swept back so all the pressure is being put on the outside of my palm, maybe accentuated by the fact my gloves have palm sliders on them. Does that make sense? I'm seriously wondering if i need a different bar that's a little flatter.

You shouldn't have pressure on your hands at all. If you do, your riding posture is incorrect. You hold your torso up with your core (back/gut/sides; mid-section). The handlebars are merely a hand-rest. When I rest torso weight on the bars (and thus on my hands), I'll get numbness in my hands or arms, even up to my shoulders. When I sit the bike properly, this doesn't happen (well, unless I have too many layers on under my jacket and circulation is being restricted :p ).

Okay, prating over. ;) I agree that there's a touch too much sweep-back to the bars, at least for my taste. The bars are also just a touch too far forward from the factory, and the foot pegs are far too high (or the seat too low). I'm just a skosh taller than the 'average' American at 5'11", so it's not that I'm too short.

I don't have any decent suggestions for you, unfortunately, unless posture can help or fix it for you.

You shouldn't have pressure on your hands at all...
You've just reminded me reading your reply what bugged me when I tested this bike back to back with the CB500X. I felt I was being pushed forward on the 700x. So there's definitely an element of posture, longer trips as I get more fatigued I probably am giving up fighting the slope to the front of the bike. Just researching and I think some rox risers and the seat mod might be a good place to start. cheers

You've just reminded me reading your reply what bugged me when I tested this bike back to back with the CB500X. I felt I was being pushed forward on the 700x. So there's definitely an element of posture, longer trips as I get more fatigued I probably am giving up fighting the slope to the front of the bike. Just researching and I think some rox risers and the seat mod might be a good place to start. cheers

2.jpg

You are correct. A set of Rox 2" risers and a Cramp Buster on your throttle will most likely eliminate your problem.

SmileyCowboyThumbsUP.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
You could try and adjust your handlebars slightly, by either moving them slightly away from you, or slightly towards you which ever is more comfortable. I would try that first before considering spending any money.

I just posted on the same issue on the Triumph forum. I have two bikes that have high frequency vibration not too dissimilar to each other. They are a Honda Dominator and a KTM 690. Both are singles and if anything, the Honda is a little smoother. Yet the Honda causes me numbness in both hands while the KTM does not. When I get off the Honda and straight on to the KTM, the bars on the KTM immediately feel more natural and comfortable by comparison. Accordingly there has to be something in the angle of the bars that is causing me discomfort. I will not be doing anything about the Honda as it is totally original and used mostly for short Classic events, so I can live with it. I suggest however that you experiment with various bars, concentrating on the angle of the grip area in relation to your wrists, as suggested also above.

Some might call it overkill or unsafe but I have three things to help with my carpal tunnel. I have Rox Riser, a Crampbuster, and a Throttle Lock. Having the two devices on the right grip may seem a bit cluttered but it is not. I never find myself catching my hand on one or the other while manipulating the brake lever or twisting the throttle.

I know it is not safe to ride one handed but being able to take my hand off the throttle for 30 seconds and shake it out is a life saver. This is how I combat the numbness.

What it "feels" like to me is the handlebars seem very swept back so all the pressure is being put on the outside of my palm, maybe accentuated by the fact my gloves have palm sliders on them. Does that make sense? I'm seriously wondering if i need a different bar that's a little flatter.

I would have to agree with that. I get the same numbness/pain... I'm just getting used to it. I think if the grip part of the handlebars was bent back toward the rider this wouldn't be as bad.

I've considered Rox Risers, but it doesn't make sense to me that they would help. It would be the same wrist angle problem, only higher.
Wonder what would have to change on the hand controls if I got someone to bend the bar ends back..just a little?

I would have to agree with that. I get the same numbness/pain... I'm just getting used to it. I think if the grip part of the handlebars was bent back toward the rider this wouldn't be as bad.

I've considered Rox Risers, but it doesn't make sense to me that they would help. It would be the same wrist angle problem, only higher.
Wonder what would have to change on the hand controls if I got someone to bend the bar ends back..just a little?
The rox riser does push the handlebars back towards the rider. It's not only a lift of 2”. As a matter of fact it really isn't raising them 2". Since my bars are slightly angled toward me I am probably gaining an inch in height and an inch closing the gap between myself and the bars. They are very adjustable. I immediately noticed a difference in my reach forward. I also wondered why I waited so long.

I count myself lucky I fit the bikes I own without having to change bars, grips, or pegs and can ride long periods without discomfort but something posted by MZ5 resonates with me ....namely that there is no need to call those things on the ends of the bars "grips". Resting ones hands lightly on the bars or "hand rests" prevents some discomfort and possibly numbness while allowing maximum feedback from the front tire. An exercise that helps me maintain a relaxed posture is "flap" or shake my arms from the shoulders down while keeping a light grip on the bars. In stressful situations I involuntarily tighten up my upper body and shaking my elbows up and down forces me to relax.

I too find the stock bars are swept back at the grip a bit. Sometimes it puts a bit of pressure the outside of my palm and causes discomfort and numbness. My last bike had it too. So, I agree with you on that. I'm going to install the Rox 2" risers and already have replaced the seat. If I still have a problem, I'll check out some different bars. It probably isn't a problem to 99% of owners. But I have carpel tunnel and arthritis in both hands. So that is mainly the problem at my end. I think the risers and seat upgrade might work for you. Let us know how it all works out.

I think there is some confusion about what people mean by 'swept back' There is a discussion going on the UK forum relevant to the 750X which has more vibration at 3000rpm than the 700X and therefore is causing more numbness and pins and needles.
I spent a bit of time sitting on my 750X then getting off and sitting on my Triumph Rocket 3 (which doesn't give me numb hands despite being much more vibey than the Honda). The Rocket grips are what I would call more swept back than the Honda's. If zero sweep back is (say) a completely rod straight bar at right angles to the bikes, and 100% sweep back is like a butcher's boys bike where the handgrips are parallely with the wheels of the bike, then I would say the Rocket has 40% sweepback (and is very very comfortable) and the Honda has 25% sweepback.

The Honda is putting an unnatural angle between my hand and forearm, and I can't see that moving the bars up our down, backwards or forwards would solve the problem.
Mike

I've also experienced the numbness on various bikes and it's usually my fault.
Google "Master Yoda Riding Position" for information on using your core to support yourself on the bike and not have all your weight on the bars.

I also find myself gripping the grips too tightly; usually on high performance bikes. Of course the NC700 can be very high performance for a new rider and this would still apply. Gotta consciously remind myself to relax.

Another great option I use is to add thicker grips or sleeves ontop of the factory grips. I've used Johar foam grips on previous bikes and also Grip Puppies foam sleeves that slip ontop of most grips (regretably, their small size is still too large to fit over the factory NC700 heated grips). What I did install on the NC is a set of Grip Buddies:
Original Grip Buddies The increased diameter makes it easier to twist the grip and hold it in position. Plus the neoprene isolates your hand from vibration. And the heated grips still work through the neoprene, although there's a slight delay in heat delivery.

I've also experienced the numbness on various bikes and it's usually my fault.
Google "Master Yoda Riding Position" for information on using your core to support yourself on the bike and not have all your weight on the bars.

I also find myself gripping the grips too tightly; usually on high performance bikes. Of course the NC700 can be very high performance for a new rider and this would still apply. Gotta consciously remind myself to relax.

Another great option I use is to add thicker grips or sleeves ontop of the factory grips. I've used Johar foam grips on previous bikes and also Grip Puppies foam sleeves that slip ontop of most grips (regretably, their small size is still too large to fit over the factory NC700 heated grips). What I did install on the NC is a set of Grip Buddies:
Original Grip Buddies The increased diameter makes it easier to twist the grip and hold it in position. Plus the neoprene isolates your hand from vibration. And the heated grips still work through the neoprene, although there's a slight delay in heat delivery.

Harald - I agree about the rather surprising fact that the heated grips still work (eventually) through the foam or neoprene. But I am fairly sure I have got GripPuppies on my factory fit Honda heated grips and they fit just fine.
Mike

Back