• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handlebar button for garage door opener (DIY farkle)

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
A while ago I ordered a $1.77 handlebar button from ebay with plans to wire it into a spare garage door opener remote I have.
Sorry, I don't have any pics of the *actual* one I made, but since every remote will be different, seeing mine wouldn't help much more.

I ordered this button:
22mm Handlebar Kill Stop Switch Horn Button Universal For Motorcycle Bike ATV AP | eBay
HLRk4fU.jpg
jGYcbsI.jpg

As with everything from China, you have to be prepared to wait. I ordered it on Mar 10, and it arrived on Apr 7th. It comes with a nice long lead with the wires wrapped in a (non-heat shrink) rubber/plastic tube. The black rounded part around the red button on the switch is rubber. I doubt it is very weather proof but it might be a little weather resistant.

This is my remote:
garage_door_opener4.jpg

I opened up the remote and found the contacts that open the door. I cut off the plug from the end of the wires, threw on some heat shrink and soldered them to the contacts. It worked perfect!

I then drilled a hole in the plastic case of the remote control for the wire, heat shrunk around the end and closed it all up. I then used hot glue to seal all the seams and holes (including the remote buttons) and the back of the switch itself to attempt to waterproof it as much as possible. The glue can be removed if I ever need to change the battery.

So, now I just have to put it on my handlebar and mount the remote itself somewhere on the bike out of sight (using double-sided tape, velcro, hot glue, a little silicone adhesive... whatever works).

The switch is cheap and spare remotes are cheap if you need to buy a spare to hack.

...now I just have to put it on my handlebar and mount the remote itself somewhere on the bike out of sight using double-sided tape...

I mounted mine like this using double sided foam tape. I sealed all the seams with black masking tape. This is the third year and the remote is still working, it's fairly well protected from the elements I just throw a plastic bag over it when I wash my bike if I don't my garage doors start to go up and down if water gets inside.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I mounted mine like this using double sided foam tape. I sealed all the seams with black masking tape. This is the third year and the remote is still working, it's fairly well protected from the elements I just throw a plastic bag over it when I wash my bike if I don't my garage doors start to go up and down if water gets inside.

If I walk up and push the button 257 times, you'll have to reprogram the remote to your opener!

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11. . . .

:)

Explanation:
If you are a mile away from your garage and accidentally push the button on the transmitter, the transmitter and receiver are no longer synchronized. The receiver solves this problem by accepting any of the next 256 possible valid codes in the pseudo-random number sequence. This way, you (or your three-year-old child) could "accidentally" push a button on the transmitter up to 256 times and it would be okay -- the receiver would still accept the transmission and perform the requested function. However, if you accidentally push the button 257 times, the receiver will totally ignore your transmitter. It won't work anymore.

Last edited:
I took it one step further and tied mine into the bikes electrical system. All of my remotes run on 12v so it was as simple as soldering leads to the old battery terminals and hooking it to my fuse block. Small push button on the dash under the display and the actual remote is hidden away, deep inside the bike.

Mr Low Tech here....

Grab remote from winter beater '97 Saab 900s (s for super)

Put remote in breast pocket of Aerostich Darien jacket.

Pull up to garage door and tap said breast pocket

Door opens!

;-)

Mr Low Tech here....

Door opens!

;-)

+2 .........my solution as well ........solves the the multiple bike issue too

I have a small Hormann transmitter, but it isn't waterproof either. It's a keychain that is prone to break when it falls on the ground (explodes into pieces).
I did have a tank case on my old bike with the transmitter built in, but I can't use it anymore because the NC700 doesn't have a tanklock placeholder.
I was thinking about enclosing the keyfob with silicone sealant, but that's also a stupid idea because I have to take it apart when it's time to replace the battery.
Also I can't solder anything to it, because it's a 50€ piece.

Easier solution would be to buy universal/programmable key fob remote, either keep with MC key or mount with velcro, usually found online for under $10

Help me understand....

This is a remote that is mounted on your motorcycle that triggers another remote that is also mounted on your motorcycle?
Do you work in Government by any chance ;-)

J/K Your install is very clean and glad it meets your goals.

Easier solution would be to buy universal/programmable key fob remote, either keep with MC key or mount with velcro, usually found online for under $10

Where's the fun in that? Besides, those little key fob remotes are not easy used with gloves and then I wouldn't have a cool red button on my dash! And, this solution cost me $1.77.

Help me understand....

It is just a remotely mounted button that is patched into a button on a remote that is remotely mounted on the bike, yes. And yes, I work for the government JOHN!!!!

... I don't know if his name is John, but wouldn't that freak him out if it was! And I actually work for a bank.

Mr Low Tech here....

Door opens!

;-)
^^THIS^^
I recently got a 2nd bike and the first time I forgot to grab the garage door opener off the other bike, I started carrying it in my jacket pocket too.

I installed mine today. Thank you for the post and the link to the button. It did take a few weeks for the button to arrive after ordering on ebay. I do need to find a better solution to protect the opener than a plastic zip bag but that will be an easy upgrade once I find a small plastic case.

GO 1.jpgGo 2.jpggo 4.jpg

Attachments

• GO 3.jpg
    GO 3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 235
I use the power of Mo-Dor. Buried the transmitter on the bike and stuck the tiny push button in a useful, but not obvious location. Has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years now with regular commuting.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Back