• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hand Guards

Get what you pay for. That’s for sure
I often find I get less if I pay more, and more value when I pay less. My $40 Cycle Gear hand guards have been great, and they could be installed without removing the stock handlebar weights. No regrets.

I often find I get less if I pay more, and more value when I pay less. My $40 Cycle Gear hand guards have been great, and they could be installed without removing the stock handlebar weights. No regrets.
I bought my $20 cycle gear hand guards years ago. They are for light brush and bugs and more for summer protection and installed without removing weights. Still good after 9 years.

I have Givi HP1111 wind guards. They are a bit narrow vertically and in sub 40 degree weather or very windy weather my hands do get chilled. I'd suggest you look at how tall the guards are when you make your selection.

I have SW Motech Kobra hand guards on my NC700S. They are top notch. I know the OP said they were only looking for wind protection, but I have seen some of the “wind deflector” style get flexy at higher velocities. I’m sure many are fine, but it’s something to keep in mind. Mine were on the bike when I got it, so whether I would spend my OWN money on them is another story, but I do like them.

Side note: I was having a bit of trouble getting them positioned right when adjusting the handlebars for my size. They’re the two-point mount meant for the X, not my S. Anyway, I started thinking that if the inner mounts were flipped over, it might work better. I just tried it, and it worked a treat. After the fact, it occurred to me to go to SW Motech’s site and look at the installation instructions. Turns out the PO put the inner mounts wrong way ‘round!

I have SW Motech Kobra hand guards on my NC700S. They are top notch. I know the OP said they were only looking for wind protection, but I have seen some of the “wind deflector” style get flexy at higher velocities. I’m sure many are fine, but it’s something to keep in mind. Mine were on the bike when I got it, so whether I would spend my OWN money on them is another story, but I do like them.

Side note: I was having a bit of trouble getting them positioned right when adjusting the handlebars for my size. They’re the two-point mount meant for the X, not my S. Anyway, I started thinking that if the inner mounts were flipped over, it might work better. I just tried it, and it worked a treat. After the fact, it occurred to me to go to SW Motech’s site and look at the installation instructions. Turns out the PO put the inner mounts wrong way ‘round!
Ya, no instructions, big deal. How often are any of them for the on-road X model going to save your hands?.................never.

Ya, no instructions, big deal. How often are any of them for the on-road X model going to save your hands?.................never.
Maybe never, but I have a couple of smashed metacarpals from last year that might want to discuss the matter (for the record, it was on a street bike that I would never think to put handguards on).

What should you do when just before crashing, let go of the bars?
People do when they fall, and the hands probably come off if the wheel touches first. In any case, I doubt if any handguards on any road accident have ever saved anyone's hands. I got mine for the wind and that's what they are good for. Great for off road though.

I think we can safely assume that evaluation of handguards is as subjective as the evaluation of seats, tires, suspension, etc.
and windshields, and filters, and oil, and air pressures and chain adjustments and torque specs and... well ANYTHING to do with a motorcycle it seems

Last edited:
I got some very stout handguards on amazon--thick aluminum main bar with black plastic handguards--all of $20--easy to install and the hardware was all decent --had to massage the main aluminum bar a bit in a vise to make the fitment easier but overall they are very nice--bar ends are still there--they were JZY brand and of course Chinese but surprisingly well made. Been on the bike for 2 years now

Back