• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Goodbye NC700

Jumbo

Reaction score
Visit site
I was enjoying a scenic ride thru southern Vermont a few weeks ago and came upon a blind corner which turned out to be much sharper than I anticipated. Once entering the corner I discover the road is covered with gravel and pea stones. Long story short, I go down, the bike is totaled, and I am recovering from a broken femur, broken wrist, broken collar bone, broken shoulder, three broken ribs and a collapsed lung. If I had not had on full gear and a full face helmet I would probably not have survived. The insurance company (Progressive) paid off the claim quickly and I hardly lost anything financially. Just wanted to remind everyone to wear all the gear all the time. Sorry if this is brief but it's slow typing with one finger. Stay safe all.

Sorry for your misfortune. It's an event we all hope will not happen. I'm glad you're going to make it, though.

Let's hope that writing about the crash and your gear saving you will convince some bare headed rider out there somewhere to go ATGATT.

Get well.

Greg

Hey, Jumbo!
Wow, man!!! Very sorry to read this, but on the other hand very happy that you have survived the crash!
Heal fast, buddy!

That's terrible about the get off, but glad you had good insurance. You seem to have a good attitude about it and it's good that you're willing to post to let people know about the benefit ATTGAT was in your accident. Hope you get well soon and hope you get back on two wheels. Prayers sent for a quick and complete recovery.

My mother used to tell me that bad things happen for a reason although we dont always understand the reason. I grew up in a religous home and still attend church regualrly. She would say misfortune carries with it benefits that are not always obvious. It will pass but before it passes you should make sure to extract all the benefits that it is giving you.

I appreciate your coming forward about your "Get Off". Yourself and JoshH. Everyone on this forum makes a decision as to how much gear they wear at any given time. Some may not wear much at all. That is thier choice and you have to respect that. Your coming forward and macking the statement about "remind everyone to wear all the gear all the time" could be the thing that finally makes them decide to step it up a bit. We have a tendancy to be reactive and not proactive although most people on this forum take wearing gear serious.

I hope you heal quickly and compleltely and although you have some prettyy severe injuries I am glad things were not worse.

Wow, very sorry to hear that. Sounds like you went pretty fast into that corner and then maybe ran into some trees? Glad to hear Progressive came through efficiently (they are my bike insurance too). It is not just a lesson about gear, but about riding safely. Looking forward to seeing you back and going and eventually back on a bike.

Wow, very sorry to hear that. Sounds like you went pretty fast into that corner and then maybe ran into some trees? Glad to hear Progressive came through efficiently (they are my bike insurance too). It is not just a lesson about gear, but about riding safely. Looking forward to seeing you back and going and eventually back on a bike.

Actually I was 10 mph under the speed limit, it was the inch thick gravel that made me lose traction. I ended up laying in a cornfield for 90 minutes before a passing bicyclist heard my cries for help.

Jumbo, I am sorry your going through a painful recovery. I had a bad get-off myself in June of 2011 but not quite as bad as yours. I broke my clavicle badly and four ribs. I'll never forget that pain. If there was "good" that came of it is I got to stay home from work for nearly three months and really reconnected with the ones that mean the most....Family.

I sincerely hope your recovery is swift and 100%. You are not alone remember that and be sure to do every bit of physical therapy your prescribed. It REALLY helps!!

Actually I was 10 mph under the speed limit, it was the inch thick gravel that made me lose traction. I ended up laying in a cornfield for 90 minutes before a passing bicyclist heard my cries for help.

Geez! This is exactly why I got the SPOT Tracker. You are very fortunate that someone came along and heard you!

So sorry to read about your mishap. You have a lot of broken things to heal up and I hope the recovery progresses well. I'm thinking there should have been a "Loose Gravel" sign on the road to give people adequate warning.

You know just the other day I decided that keeping my mobile phone in the frunk was a bad idea. In the case of a bad get-off, possibly being immobilized and unable to get to the bike, I realize now that the phone would do no good locked up in the frunk. So I make sure I keep it in my jacket pocket now.

Your unfortunate event serves to support that idea. Not to say that the phone will always save the day, but at least gives it a better chance.

Greg

sorry to hear of your off at least you lived to tell the tail..speedy recovery mate.
do stay on here and let us all know your progress oh and don't give up biking!!

sounds like a bad spill, glad to hear it was one that you came away from, Recover well, and stay safe.

Geez! This is exactly why I got the SPOT Tracker. You are very fortunate that someone came along and heard you!

This might be a good reason for me to move the SPOT to a new home in my jacket instead of only being used when I go on trips, or hiking/camping in the middle of no where.

You know just the other day I decided that keeping my mobile phone in the frunk was a bad idea. In the case of a bad get-off, possibly being immobilized and unable to get to the bike, I realize now that the phone would do no good locked up in the frunk. So I make sure I keep it in my jacket pocket now.

Your unfortunate event serves to support that idea. Not to say that the phone will always save the day, but at least gives it a better chance.

Greg

I had my phone in my pocket and was able to get it out but couldn't get a signal.

It does bring up a good point though. My phone is always in the RAM mount. If me and the bike end up in two different locations that could cause a probelm. Especially if I can't move. I had never really though about it.

Back