• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Good news or Bad news?

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last year, my team has outgrown its office space so the gods that be are moving us to a different facility. My current commute is about 45 miles a day and between 2 and 2 1/2 hours. My new commute will be about 6 miles and between 15 and 30 minutes a day. I don't know if my NC can handle being that idle. On the upside, I won't be riding very much. :) On the downside, I won't be riding very much. :(

the good news is you don't have that aggravation going TO work, and the good news is you can always take the long way home ......

I don't commute to work on the bike at all but I ride plenty. Make the time for pleasure rides.

A real biker would get out a map and find a 45 minute route to new office, hopefully with some twisters thrown in. Not reasonable for employer to move office and cut out your ride time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3 mile ride to work and still ride to work. Since I work 3rd it is perfect riding time at 630 am.sometimes it can take me 30 min to an hour to get home.look at it this way, you will get home sooner and more time for free time riding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I had a 10 minute commute when I bought my CBR600F4 in 2000. I would leave work and just head for the hills! When I started my new job with a 30+ mile (one way) commute, I was so tired and sore I never wanted to go for a pleasure ride. I was rarely able to commute on my bike since I fear driving in the rain with cagers. :) Enjoy it while you can!

You just might have to find the longer way to work so you can keep riding everyday. :) Well, any time you can avoid the 405, it's good news.

That's definitely good news, it gives YOU more time to do as you please.

I dunno about anyone else here but I find that working for a living takes up FAR TOO MUCH of my time.

I don't commute at all now since working for myself.
ten pace's and I'm in my work shop.
my bike is for pleasure these days hence low mileage!!

Personally I would not take out the NC for a 6 mile commute. If I was that close to work I would cycle on a bicycle. Take the change as an ideal opportunity to either get fit or keep fit, and keep the NC for the longer runs. My reasoning is that (especially in cold weather) the engine does not get hot enough to heat the impurities from the oil. Also most engine wear occurs when the engine is cold. These are just my views for what they are worth.

I have an 8.1 mile commute. It can take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. I always ride except for ice. Fire and go... the engine is warm in the first half mile. Prolly not good for any engine but my motorcycles are cheaper than a car and more fun to work on so... Have done this for 20 years. Bicycle is not safe because most of my route there's no shoulder and all of it caters are insane. Riding eight miles each way every day does not dissuade me from weekend jaunts.

Three miles you could walk

Sent from my candlestick phone using tapafinger

Same with me webmost. Our city is not very bicycle friendly. I only have 7 miles and would ride my bicycle most days if there were shoulders on the road.

4-5 mile commute here, I could bicycle it, but the last leg of the trip would either require going through some extra stoplights to get to a path, or riding on a road with poor visibility and a 45 mph speed limit that most people read as 55-60 mph. Also at least one stoplight only reads the motorcycle most of the time, the bicycle probably wouldn't trip it at all.

The hard part about short commutes is the gear.
It takes me almost as long to get ATGATT as the actual commute does.

On the plus side I do take the long way home, especially after "long" days at work. I also get the joy of taking the bike through the traffic circle we have right by work, short right, long left, short right, not exactly the switch backs that I'm sure some of you are riding all the time in the mountains, but it's better than most of the flat straight roads in the plains.

I try to take the NC when ever the opportunity presents itself usually with out regard for where I'm going... I probably should take the bicycle more on short trips, but the roads aren't always kind to non-motorized traffic.

Back