• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Good karma or bad karma?

Windwalker

Reaction score
Visit site
For years I have carried a tubeless tire plug kit and a small electric air pump just in case I get a flat. I have never needed to use it, but always carried it. I just decided to start carrying it with the new bike. I figured out how to get to the battery (made sure I actually had a tool kit that had the tools to remove the screws to get to the battery) made sure the air pump still worked and the plug kit still looked functional. Yes, you guessed it, the very next morning I pick up a screw in the back tire and get a flat. I only had one flat tire in 17 years on the old bike and I get my first one on the NC700 in less than 500 miles. I am trying to figure out if I was psychic or the universe is getting even with me for lack of faith. It took me 4 or 5 tries, but I finally did get the plug installed and the tire pumped back up. The plug is holding, but I will replace the tire when the bike goes in for the 600 mile service. The universe has a very strange sense of humor.

;)

If the tire is in good condition, the puncture clean and not too close from the edge, I put the plug in and ride. I had many thousand miles with plugged tires with no issue. Not that I advise it but with modern tires used on road at reasonable speed, I do not see a significant risk.

Been there, done that. Then rode home, pulled the wheel and had the shop put in a vulcanized patch. I'm not a fan of riding on plugs too long.

Having said that, in 1978 I got a small nail in a tube tire. Fix-a-Flat to the rescue. I was still three days from home. I rode even more back roads home to keep my speed down. I had to top off the air pressure each morning but all was good.

Now being older (retired) with a lot more time and money I would never ride three days with that sort of fix. Off to the nearest shop for sure.

Just bad luck. I would never replace a tyre with only 600 miles on it unless the damage was severe. I have a good degree of confidence in the plug repair system that I use. However I would keep the speeds reasonable. Either that or a vulcanised patch as described by Jimmy.

If the puncture is in the middle of the tread I'd put a patch over the plug and think you'd be good for the life of the tire.

I still wonder if there's something about new tires that attracts nails and screws and little sharp pieces of metal.
My 2 last punctures were on new Power Pilots, with less than 1,000 miles. Both rear tire. One had a thin metal strip, like a big staple, that I still managed to ride on for about 800 miles, losing only about 1 psi/ week. Changed the tire with the next chain replacement.

If it is on the rear tire ride unless you are losing air or planning on going on a long trip far from home. Stopping at a dealer on the road will cost you more in the long run. I plugged a Goldwing tire when it had only 2000 miles on it and rode for another 6000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back