• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

giant loop

Pikes peak is on the list to hit, hope to get to the million dollar highway and some other stuff. Hard to say what/where I can go till I get there.

The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado is the best reference for riding Colorado if you are planning a visit to do some pavement or light dirt roads. The Million Dollar Highway and Pikes are on the list but far from the best of the best. Especially if you hit the Million Dollar Hwy when the RVs are making their way through. Get your two dollar discount coupon for Pikes, that way it will only cost you ten dollars to ride through your National Forest. And be sure to breath deeply.

022_zpsaa3de448.jpg

Drdubb is picking up one of the really good ones out of Gunnison (92) on his trip. The 160 isn't bad after the 285 going West. The 50 is not that great after you go up and down over Monarch.

But it is all good, after all it is Colorado. Have fun.

The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado is the best reference for riding Colorado if you are planning a visit to do some pavement or light dirt roads. The Million Dollar Highway and Pikes are on the list but far from the best of the best. Especially if you hit the Million Dollar Hwy when the RVs are making their way through. Get your two dollar discount coupon for Pikes, that way it will only cost you ten dollars to ride through your National Forest. And be sure to breath deeply.

View attachment 28440

Drdubb is picking up one of the really good ones out of Gunnison (92) on his trip. The 160 isn't bad after the 285 going West. The 50 is not that great after you go up and down over Monarch.

But it is all good, after all it is Colorado. Have fun.

Try parking your bike in front of that sign and see how long it takes the park police to scold you. In my case it was barely enough time to snap a picture!

Don't forget Mt. Evans, highest paved road in North America. It's less commercialized than Pikes Peak.

Last edited:
Trail Ridge Road, highest paved through road. The west side is better than the east side IMO. The ride up to the Mt. Evans turn off isn't bad either coming from either side. Proudre Canyon Road is one of my favorites. The list goes on and on.

There's a part of me that hopes that the wife wants to spend an entire day alone with her son. It might be rough, but I would do that for her ;-)

The Million Dollar Highway and Pikes Peak are both now paved. Nana Chou never ever has a parking problem! When at Pikes Peak a must is to ride the Clog Train! If you got the time, Mount Evans is higher than Pike Peak, and it is now paved most of the way.

[video=youtube;PXAwtt7nJ8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAwtt7nJ8E[/video]

[video=youtube;M3wQ8fsKprg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3wQ8fsKprg[/video]

Pikes Peak.jpg

Last edited:
The road to Mt. Evans is paved the whole way and 670 pointed out it is less commercial than Pikes and, BTW, cheaper. Also at some point in the next few years the Park Service will close it off. If the Rangers are to be believed. Cigar Mike has given you some great suggestions for the Front Range. I'd throw in the Peak to Peak Highway and any of the canyon roads leading off of it.

Sounds like a great trip. Hope you have a blast. We will, of course, be expecting pictures. ;)

Pics, videos, I'll be doing a bit of everything. I'm working on setting up a blog, and will be doing a ride report on here and advrider.

I see you are going across Southern Missouri right by the Arkansas border. You'll probably be within 30 miles of me at some point. S. Central Missouri has some great roads, as N. Central Arkansas does but I tend to be in Missouri more than Arkansas. Even though I live in Arkansas. Let me know when you are coming through. If we can't ride I can tell you some good roads.

I see you are going across Southern Missouri right by the Arkansas border. You'll probably be within 30 miles of me at some point. S. Central Missouri has some great roads, as N. Central Arkansas does but I tend to be in Missouri more than Arkansas. Even though I live in Arkansas. Let me know when you are coming through. If we can't ride I can tell you some good roads.

That would be good, I'd love to meet up with fellow owners on my way.

soooo, I have three work days left before my vacation starts, gives me the weekend to do final prep and we head out on Monday.

The route has changed almost completely, for reasons out of our control, we will be staying out of Colorado. (It's a long story) From home we will be heading to the general Louisiana area. It wont be a straight shot, and there will be a slight detour for the dragon and any BBQ worth eating. Well, any food for that matter. Hopefully I can run into some fellow NCXers while I'm out.

Last day of prep, just changed the oil. My mind is racing trying to figure out if I've forgotten to do/pack anything. Other than cleaning up the homefront some, I think I'm ready.

Important things to pack:
Spare key(s) for the bike
Wallet/money
Tire repair kit and tools
Flashlight (torch)/headlight
Maps/gps/phone
Microfiber towel for face shield/windshield
Out of office reply
Rain gear
Helmet lock
Ear plugs
Eyeglasses and hearing aids (old folks)
Chocolate

Last edited:
Important things to pack:
Spare key(s) for the bike
Wallet/money
Tire repair kit and tools
Maps/gps/phone
Out of office reply
Rain gear
Helmet lock
Ear plugs
Chocolate

Chocolate and I have not been friends here lately, I'm not sure why though. I haven't figured out the best solution yet with the spare key, everything else is taken care of though.

I wanted to pack my camouflage pants but I can't find them. :rolleyes:

You might as well leave now, if you are like me, I can never sleep before leaving on a big trip. Like a kid on Christmas Eve LOL

I slept well, until 5am. After that I was pretty much done with sleeping.

It's a bright sunny day in Strasburg, VA...it's not raining for a change, but it's cold (45F) and windy. We are tying up loose ends around the house before we take off. So far though, we are on schedule.

My plan is to check in throughout the day during our stops, and do a ride report at the end of the day. Of course, all of that is dependent on having cell/wifi signal. Our first stop is the Knoxville/Gatlinburg/tail of the dragon area, so depending on where we camp, that could be an issue. I've never had service on the NC side of things.

Well, I'm off to finish up and head out.

Day 1, escape from VA

Word of the day: wind.

Finally got to leave the house around 10am, took a quick pic of my odometer

The main goal of today was to reach Gatlinburg as fast as we could, unfortunately, that ment the interstate. I81 is its own special suck, sometimes it's pretty, but traffic and the like is never fun.

When we hit the road the temps were in the mid 50's where it pretty much stayed. The wind though, was a kicker. Fighting a strong crops wind at 75 mph for hours on end had a way of draining you.

We stopped at a bbq joint outside of Roanoke, va called the three little pigs. Their pulled pork sandwiches, ketchup based sauce or the nc one, was very good. The key lime pie was awesome as well... the art on the walls were... interesting.

After hitting Gatlinburg, we decided to hotel it for tonight. Cold, wind, and a cold nite forced us in... having a Jacuzzi tub in the room helped.

A quick beer and a pretty dang good hamburger at the back street bar and is about time to hit the bed.

Tomorrow starts the real adventure, a slower pace, and more pics.

Last edited:
Back