• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting ready for 2-week trip, from Iowa to California

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
First, if the thread is not inside the correct category, feel free to move it.

Six of us plan to make a 2-week trip in June, from Iowa to California. My original plan is to take my ST1100, but it's for the moment in the shop. Gas/coolant issue. To be sure that this is not going to stop me riding, I just bought 2013 NC700x. If everything's ok, I'll still take ST. Otherwise, it's NC who's going to dip the rubber into Pacific. :D
So, since I don't have any experience with the NC, I need help to get the bike ready. What I need, what would be good to have, what to bring...

Thanks for any tip.

I rode my NC from NC to Utah/Colorado last June. Did 6500 miles.
Needs....windscreen - Madstad,
saddle, I used Seat Concepts Low with a Bead Rider
Heated grips, outlet for heated Vest.
Luggage - I used GIVI
Dales Rear rack, replaces rear seat. Allows you to strap down luggage and still fill the tank.
Highway Pegs - I bolted some to a Givi Crash bars.

DSCN5150-XL.jpg

20160613_064053_zpsa41jbvwn-XL.jpg

Last edited:
How many miles on your bike? Check your chain out. Need to clean your chain every 500 to 800 miles. Get a grunge brush, I use simple green for a solvent then rinse then run around the block to dry chain then spray maxima chain was on it. This is easy to do if you have a center stand. Stock chains are known to have a shorter life than good aftermarket chains. Valves need to be checked at 8000 miles. I had two that were tight on mine. Excellent how to thread on the forum. A quick seat fix if you are short on funds is on the forum. You raise the front slightly. If you have the tall OEM windshield that is pretty good. Crash bars would be on my list. Heated grips or bark busters for hand protection.
My daughter rode hers stock, tall windshield and trunk doing long days total of 4000 miles just fine except I saw her standing on the pegs a lot. Seat would be high on my priority. Power outlet in the frunk is awesome to keep phone charged if using it for navigation.
Welcome...I am near Rockford Illinois. 2007 ST in the corral. Hope everything goes well for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Need to clean your chain every 500 to 800 miles.

You only really need to lube it every 500 miles, especially if you're on the freeway all day, but cleaning is not necessary. Just make sure you have some chain lube or gear oil, or whatever goop you prefer but, like I said, you do not have to clean it this often. But don't leave home without lube, mark my words. Having a center stand, as has been said, will make this (and possibly other issues) exponentially easier to deal with.

Other than that, a seat. I chose Seat Concepts and it took me from southern Michigan to Wyoming and back in perfect comfort. Had zero rump discomfort day in, day out.

Something larger than the stock windshield will also save you from hours of discomfort and regret.

Beyond that, depending on what your plans are for lodging, you might want to throw in a cheap eBay 12v/USB charger. The one I have is wired directly to the battery and has an on/off switch so it doesn't cause battery draw. If you're not staying at a hotel or pay type campground, this will be nice to charge your phone.

Hard locking trunk/saddle bags are super nice, but not mandatory... you can strap/lash duffels/backpacks/etc., but hard locking stuff sure is nice.

But mandatory items... seat, center stand, windshield. Those are the big 3.

On both my NCs I replaced the windshield with something bigger and added handguards for wind protection. Madstad is the bomb on the NC, it transforms it into a tourer. A 12v outlet and heated grips came soon after -though I'm not sure if you'll need the grips for a summer trip unless you spend a lot of time at elevation in the Rockies. For seating at least do the Showkey mod and raise the front of the seat 5/8" to 1" to level the seating area. I did a lot of traveling the first year with just a dry bag on the pillion seat and a 46 liter Givi top box. The second season I added 36 liter Givi side cases. I took a small 12v Slime tire pump and removed the plastic shell so that it fits under the rear seat wrapped in a cloth. Tire plugging tools in the bottom of the frunk. On trips I just wipe my chain down daily with WD40 sprayed on a paper towel, I quit using all manner of spray lubes and waxes on O-ring chains. For travel a little can of WD40 stuffed in a baggy with a few folded towels and latex gloves fits lots of places. Some like tank bags, I made a slim map holder for the top of the frunk.

If you use Maxima Chain Wax you will have to clean a lot more often -- which is why I stopped using it ; }

A clean X/0-ring chain needs so little help, especially when not doing much dusty or muddy off-pavement stuff. I'm getting good chain and sprocket life with 500-1000 mile applications of Dupont Chain-Saver With Teflon, but I've seen plenty of reports from road/sports bike guys who don't use anything or just do WD-40 (which I'm sure mainly cleans and then spins off/dissipates).

How many miles on your bike? Check your chain out. Need to clean your chain every 500 to 800 miles. Get a grunge brush, I use simple green for a solvent then rinse then run around the block to dry chain then spray maxima chain was on it. This is easy to do if you have a center stand. Stock chains are known to have a shorter life than good aftermarket chains. Valves need to be checked at 8000 miles. I had two that were tight on mine. Excellent how to thread on the forum. A quick seat fix if you are short on funds is on the forum. You raise the front slightly. If you have the tall OEM windshield that is pretty good. Crash bars would be on my list. Heated grips or bark busters for hand protection.
My daughter rode hers stock, tall windshield and trunk doing long days total of 4000 miles just fine except I saw her standing on the pegs a lot. Seat would be high on my priority. Power outlet in the frunk is awesome to keep phone charged if using it for navigation.
Welcome...I am near Rockford Illinois. 2007 ST in the corral. Hope everything goes well for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bough couple weeks ago with only 4K miles (2013). Still original chain and sprocket so I plan to visit my Honda dealer this weekend to replace the sprocket and chain - I know it can/should last couple more thousand miles but the trip is going to be about 5.5K miles in total and I don't want to spend a day (or two) looking for a Honda dealer and wait to do it during the trip. Never did the chain replacement by myself so to do it first time on a trip it's not good idea either. :D
Valves would wait until I come home. :)
Crash bars - check
Bark busters - check
MadStad windshield - ordered
Seat - with my Air-Hawk I almost don't need to do it, don't have any issues. But didn't sprend 8 hours in the seat either, so I'll do it before I leave
Power outlet (frunk and/or handlebar, I bought THIS ONE) is bought, will be installed before I leave.

Thanks WG :)

Last edited:
You only really need to lube it every 500 miles, especially if you're on the freeway all day, but cleaning is not necessary. Just make sure you have some chain lube or gear oil, or whatever goop you prefer but, like I said, you do not have to clean it this often. But don't leave home without lube, mark my words. Having a center stand, as has been said, will make this (and possibly other issues) exponentially easier to deal with.

Other than that, a seat. I chose Seat Concepts and it took me from southern Michigan to Wyoming and back in perfect comfort. Had zero rump discomfort day in, day out.

Something larger than the stock windshield will also save you from hours of discomfort and regret.

Beyond that, depending on what your plans are for lodging, you might want to throw in a cheap eBay 12v/USB charger. The one I have is wired directly to the battery and has an on/off switch so it doesn't cause battery draw. If you're not staying at a hotel or pay type campground, this will be nice to charge your phone.

Hard locking trunk/saddle bags are super nice, but not mandatory... you can strap/lash duffels/backpacks/etc., but hard locking stuff sure is nice.

But mandatory items... seat, center stand, windshield. Those are the big 3.

WD40 - check
12v/USB charger - bought, ready to be installed
top and side cases - check
center stand - CHECK :)
seat - check, some additional modification are i order

Thanks OG!
:)

Last edited:
I bough couple weeks ago with only 4K miles (2013). Still original chain and sprocket so I plan to visit my Honda dealer this weekend to replace the sprocket and chain - I know it can/should last couple more thousand miles but the trip is going to be about 5.5K miles in total and I don't want to spend a day (or two) looking for a Honda dealer and wait to do it during the trip. Never did the chain replacement by myself so to do it first time on a trip it's not good idea either. :D
Valves would wait until I come home. :)
Crash bars - check
Bark busters - check
Seat - with my Air-Hawk I almost don't need to do it, don't have any issues. But didn't sprend 8 hours in the seat either, so I'll do it before I leave
Power outlet (frunk and/or handlebar, I bought THIS ONE) is bought, will be installed before I leave.

Thanks WG :)

I guess you wouldn't know how the previous owner treated the chain, but my stock chain lasted 17,000 miles and I'm still on original sprockets at 32,000 with no visible wear. 4K seems young. Having said that, I wouldn't want to be to blame if your chain fails.

That is nothing short of amazing Greg. My stock chains were done by 8,000 miles which is not unusual for this forum.

I do ride 45 mph very ride it's just I keep accelerating well beyond...... :)

Tire plugger, air compressor, chain lube, battery jump pack.

1 reason I ride Hondas is that I never need to pull out a tool bag or tool kit. A Leatherman-type multi tool is all I carry for tools. Like 670cc above I consider necessary a tire compressor and plugging kit and something for chain maintenance. In my case that is a few folded shop paper towels, a small spray can of WD40, and a few vinyl gloves.

Maybe the tools needed to tighten the chain. I usually carry spare levers in case i drop it in a parking lot an break a lever.

AMA membership for towing and a credit card is all you need.

for what it's worth, here is my NC loaded for camping (or long distance travel). [HERE]

If you haven't put on a much bigger wind screen, that would be first for me.
Are you using the stock seat? Maybe a new seat if you are.

If you start out with new tires and chain, then you could go as far as 5,000 miles without even adjusting the chain.
Bring some tools, (I carry wrenches 8mm to 14mm), but I've never had to use them on the road.

1 reason I ride Hondas is that I never need to pull out a tool bag or tool kit...
I read once one guy sayin' "The moment I bought flat tire fix kit - never had flat tire again. But it was worth it..." :D
That's the only reason to bring some wrenches and screwdrivers with... :D

Maybe the tools needed to tighten the chain. I usually carry spare levers in case i drop it in a parking lot an break a lever.

AMA membership for towing and a credit card is all you need.

Chain maintenance tool - check
AMA membership card - check
Credit card - check, check, check... :D

for what it's worth, here is my NC loaded for camping (or long distance travel). [HERE]
Images of the loaded NC are AWESOME! Already sent to some BMTroubleyou people! :D

If you haven't put on a much bigger wind screen, that would be first for me.
Are you using the stock seat? Maybe a new seat if you are.
MadStad 22" - ordered

If you start out with new tires and chain, then you could go as far as 5,000 miles without even adjusting the chain.
Bring some tools, (I carry wrenches 8mm to 14mm), but I've never had to use them on the road.
Rear tire is brand new.
Front one is original, BATTLAX BTO23F, 4K miles. Even if it last 9K at the end of the trip (the route is about 5K) it would be in bad condition so I plan to put new Pilot Road 4.
The same thing with the chain, first one, original - replace it. Eventually front sprocket too - have to consult with the mechanics at Honda dealership.
8mm & 14mm on the list

Back