• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting ready for 2-week trip, from Iowa to California

I read once one guy sayin' "The moment I bought flat tire fix kit - never had flat tire again. But it was worth it..." :D
That's the only reason to bring some wrenches and screwdrivers with... :D

I carried one for four years without a flat. Woke up one morning at hotel to find a flat rear with small cotter pin in it. Started going through options on how to get to work and where to get tire away from home. Took me over 10 minutes to remember I had the kit. 15 minutes after that on way to work only slightly late.

MadStad 22" - ordered.
Looks like you're almost ready. You acquired a nice low mileage NC700X and getting ready to let it stretch its legs for the first time, ohh what a feeling!

New tires, chain, and sprockets are a great start. An oil change now would make sense because you're going past its scheduled change at 6k while on your trip. Tell the mechanic you're prepping for a trip and ask for a safety check, nuts and bolts checked for tightness.

Taking the minimum tools necessary to loosen the rear wheel and adjusting your chain tension is probably overkill for such a short trip. Like previously stated, a leatherman type multi-tool is probably enough, if you have AAA or some other insurance that covers a tow if needed.

Get the new chain and sprockets on and ride it a few miles and be sure it doesn't need adjustments prior to the trip. With the type of tires you're mounting, it doesn't make me think your planning much time off-road and won't have to carry the tools necessary to go into survival mode. If you have a breakdown it won't be something easily fixed, so you won't need tools to attempt it.

Get your power plug installed, take along a charged auxiliary battery (to be sure your phone is able to keep charged while calling AAA), take your tire plugging kit, compressor, and chain lube.

Don't overthink, enjoy the ride!

Ray

P.S. Be careful of those flaming marshmallows as you and your 'Wild Hog' friends are enjoying the trip!

Last edited:
My last really long ride (my butt burner 1000 in 17 hours): I had with me some wrenches, air compressor (always in a side bag), tire plug kit), rain gear. Since I was staying for 5 days at the end of ride in Florida, I had a small sport bag with a couple change of clothes (washing machine at location where I stayed for 5 days). At the time, I didn't even have the wrench to loosen the rear axle (which I always carry now); cell phone, ama card, credit cards is what I would depend on if necessary. Packing lite is a good thing.
On the way back from the Florida location, I did shorter route and did 800 miles in 13 hours.
At the Kickstand lodge last year, I had to adjust my chain once, and I think that is all I have ever had to do on this machine while out on multiday rides away from home.

I like these it has compressor and puncture kit in a compact case
dc3c05d32dfc2adbdba2dd8108226c42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My new wndshield just arrived! Yeey! :)

... New tires, chain, and sprockets are a great start...
I put new tire but when I asked the mechanic to replace the chain and front sprocket he said they are ok, in great condition. I told him I was thinking to replace them because they are "original" ones and I plan to ride 5K miles in couple days he said again they are just good, they will do good job.
Should I trust him or I should replace them regardless? :(

... An oil change now would make sense because you're going past its scheduled change at 6k while on your trip...
I planed to do that. This morning I found that I HAVE to do that - found some oil leak under the bike. It was coming from the oil filter. Maybe double gasket, or not tight enough, or... New oil is coming tomorrow (I LOVE AMAZON!!! :D)

... if you have AAA or some other insurance that covers a tow if needed.
AMA Card - check :)

... With the type of tires you're mounting, it doesn't make me think your planning much time off-road and won't have to carry the tools necessary to go into survival mode...
Nope. I would like to, but BMW and GoldWing people are definitely against it... :D

... Get your power plug installed, take along a charged auxiliary battery (to be sure your phone is able to keep charged while calling AAA), take your tire plugging kit, compressor, and chain lube.
Check, check, check, check...

... Don't overthink, enjoy the ride!
Ray
Thanks Ray, I'll definitely enjoy! :)

... P.S. Be careful of those flaming marshmallows as you and your 'Wild Hog' friends are enjoying the trip!
HA HA HA HA HA...

i carried one for four years without a flat. Woke up one morning at hotel to find a flat rear with small cotter pin in it. Started going through options on how to get to work and where to get tire away from home. Took me over 10 minutes to remember i had the kit. 15 minutes after that on way to work only slightly late.

:d :d :d :d

When are you leaving? We will be leaving Rockford Illinois around June 10th

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This Friday, May 26th. Should be home back on June 11th.
Which route you're gonna ride? We supposed to go West to Kearney, NE, than South through Kansas to Denver, CO. Than Grand Junction, CO, Moab, UT... etc.

More questions... I plan t bring some more extra gas with me. 99.99% I'm not gonna need it, but there is long stretch on US-50, "the Loneliest Highway", I think around 200 miles w/o gas station (maybe I read an very old book?!?)
So, I bought 2 of these at Harbor Freight store.
I have two stainless water bottles like THIS - are they ok as gas canisters? They fit ok (a bit tight, I hope plastic expands more than metal on heat :D), and MSR canisters are around $15. I know they have "pressure release valve" or something like that, but is it really "necessary"? :(

Also, anybody tried to carry "regular", red 1 gal plastic tank like THIS? Any good way to hook it up to the bike? I don't want to put it in a frunk or top case...

More questions... I plan t bring some more extra gas with me. 99.99% I'm not gonna need it, but there is long stretch on US-50, "the Loneliest Highway", I think around 200 miles w/o gas station (maybe I read an very old book?!?)
So, I bought 2 of these at Harbor Freight store.
I have two stainless water bottles like THIS - are they ok as gas canisters? They fit ok (a bit tight, I hope plastic expands more than metal on heat :D), and MSR canisters are around $15. I know they have "pressure release valve" or something like that, but is it really "necessary"? :(

Also, anybody tried to carry "regular", red 1 gal plastic tank like THIS? Any good way to hook it up to the bike? I don't want to put it in a frunk or top case...

I could only recommend the use of MSR fuel bottles or Rotopax fuel containers. Anything else that's not approved for gasoline is unsafe. Why risk it for $15?

I could only recommend the use of MSR fuel bottles or Rotopax fuel containers. Anything else that's not approved for gasoline is unsafe. Why risk it for $15?
It's actually 2 bottles, $30.
But it's true...

I asked the mechanic to replace the chain and front sprocket he said they are ok, in great condition. I told him I was thinking to replace them because they are "original" ones and I plan to ride 5K miles in couple days he said again they are just good, they will do good job.

Should I trust him or I should replace them regardless?

Ask your mechanic if he will guarantee the chain will last 5k miles and if it doesn't he'll pay your expenses for a breakdown (although unlikely)? Personally, I would trust his judgement for the front sprocket, but I would change the chain (as for me, even after putting on a new chain, I bring a spare with). Changing the chain, you are knowledgeable of its maintenance history, because you did it.

AMA Card - check.

Be sure to have the phone number you need to call already in your phone contact list.

Plus +1. Listen to Greg...he's got college!

Those red gas cans are bad news on a m/c. I used to carry one, but won't anymore. Sitting in warm sunlight, strapped onto the bike somewhere, the thin plastic starts to look like a balloon as the gas and air gets warm and expands! Better safe than sorry with the proper MSR fuel containers (or Rotopax).

Moab, UT... etc.

MOAB...be prepared to be awesomely impressed by riding through that scenery!

Have a wonderful trip, don't worry if you forgot something, there are Walmarts everywhere!

Ray

Last edited:
Back