• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas

Or you can just stick the nozzle in all the way,(notice the hole in the splash plate). Squeeze the handle and let the fuel flow. It will autostop about 1/4 gallon from full. Then just slightly squeeze for the top off. Done.

I never fill unattended, and on the motorcycles I never take my hand off the fuel handle.

I was at the pump next to a fellow in Canada with a motorhome a few week ago. He put the gas nozzle into the motorhome, then went into the grocery store. The pump shut off did not work. So, the entire gas station was now filled up with gas. Had the fire department, police department, and I believe every official in the town there before it was over. Was not a fun situation for anyone.

Be careful when putting gas into any vehicle, and do not trust the auto shut off. I'd imagine that fellows insurance company was not real happy when they got that gas bill !3.jpg

smileyafraid.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
It is such a quick fill at 3.7 gallons..and most people fuel when the reserve light comes on so it's more like 3 gallons. That's probably a minute or two tops to fill.. so stay with it and avoid any issues with overflow!
smileygas.jpg

Seems to be the pump handle as the spillage culprit, the ones you can "squeeze" and keep the gas flow rate at a trickle I love, the ones that you squeeze and all of a sudden come on pretty much full rate I splash gas all over my NC. Third pump from the left at the Hess station works great...

There is definitely an art to filling this tank. I played around with the angle I had the nozzle pointed until I found the sweet spot. I don't splash near as much now. I have never put in over 2.9 gallons and I take her to almost 200 miles each tank.

Last edited:
Seems to be the pump handle as the spillage culprit, the ones you can "squeeze" and keep the gas flow rate at a trickle I love, the ones that you squeeze and all of a sudden come on pretty much full rate I splash gas all over my NC. Third pump from the left at the Hess station works great...

If I recall my new york state trip correctly, none of the gas stations there even had the option for locking the handle in place for an unattended fill.
I found that to be incredibly strange being from the midwest.

Anyone live in a state that requires an attendant to fill the tank for you? How does that even work on a motorcycle? Can you push them out of the way to fill the tank yourself in situations like the NC where filling the tank requires a bit of knowledge about the particular machine?

Most stations in Ontario Canada don't have the handle lock. Too many people left them unattended and they had spill over. I find that if the other nozzle at the pump I am using is in use and kicks off while I am filling, I get some back pressure or a hammer situation. That often results in some splash over. I always try and use a pump with no one else at it to avoid this. And I do fill slowly. 14L doesn't take that long and let's be honest, it isn't like filling a 135L pickup truck in the dead of winter when it is -20deg outside.

Yes /\ /\ /\ what van said ..... some pumps can give you a "trickle" fill .... others not so much ....so like van - if I can I go to the known "trickle" pumps

Last edited:
If I'm at a station I know, I'll push the nozzle all the way in and set the lock. It shuts off with about a half to quarter gallon to go, and then I hold it up so the end of the nozzle is just under the splash guard and do the rest manually on full blast. It usually shuts off when the gas hits the end of the nozzle, and if not, I let go of the handle as soon as I see the gas bubbling up. The hose drains and brings it up the rest of the way.
Anyone live in a state that requires an attendant to fill the tank for you? How does that even work on a motorcycle? Can you push them out of the way to fill the tank yourself in situations like the NC where filling the tank requires a bit of knowledge about the particular machine?

Only Oregon and New Jersey do this. In Oregon the attendant swipes your card, selects grade, and hands you the nozzle. You're supposed to hand it back to them so they can put it away. They get surprised when you open up the back seat, and even more so when you say 'regular'. Apparently Jersey is the same way, but I wasn't riding when I lived there.

The problem I have is when first moving the nozzle to the tank - seems that sometimes there is a little bit of fuel in the nozzle, and when I point that nozzle down to the tank, out comes the left over gas hanging out in the nozzle - all over where ever it wants to go, even before I insert it into the tank. Joy...

But I fill with nozzle all the way in, and as it get to over 2 gallons, I pull the nozzle a bit out so I can see the gas reach the top of the tank, then I'm done. Avoids the auto shut off which seems to happen way to soon. 9 out of 10 times no spillage at all, maybe a few splash drops here and there.

The problem I have is when first moving the nozzle to the tank - seems that sometimes there is a little bit of fuel in the nozzle, and when I point that nozzle down to the tank, out comes the left over gas hanging out in the nozzle - all over where ever it wants to go, even before I insert it into the tank. Joy...

I have had this happen when filling up my cars and the fuel runs down the side of the vehicle. The trick here is to always assume there is fuel in the spout and do not tip it until over the filler hole. This happens more in the hot weather I think because even a little leftover gas in the spout expands by the time the next person uses it.

Fortunately where I live we are not afflicted with these goofy things which I assume some of you are experiencing which make it difficult to aim the tip of the spout properly before tipping it in. They are also spring loaded so you can't get the tip of the spout as far into the tank as you can with a plain spout. As with filling portable gas cans it helps to know what your starting level is and if you watch the pump meter you should be able to tell when you are getting to the top. In hot weather that will happen much faster. When removing the spout always assume it will drip so tilt over before moving away from the filler hole and you will never drip onto your seat.

Emco_A4005_VapRecovNozzle.jpg

It is a little bit shameful...

but the other day I did overfilled the tank and wasted about a 0.4 gallon of gas. I did not leave it unattended, but I did take my hand of the handle to put my phone away. I was distracted and like most of you said it DOES not take very long to fill the tank all the way. By the time I reacted I had already lost some gas. I felt horrible, first time this happens to me! Ever since I am extremely careful and alert. Also most of the time I get stuck on 2.4 gallons, because the auto shut off switch come on.

Tony

It is a little bit shameful...

but the other day I did overfilled the tank and wasted about a 0.4 gallon of gas. I did not leave it unattended, but I did take my hand of the handle to put my phone away. I was distracted and like most of you said it DOES not take very long to fill the tank all the way. By the time I reacted I had already lost some gas. I felt horrible, first time this happens to me! Ever since I am extremely careful and alert. Also most of the time I get stuck on 2.4 gallons, because the auto shut off switch come on.Tony

I'm curious of where the gas went when it spilled over. I can see the rubber containment area around the filler hole but I can't tell where it drains to since it is surrounded by plastic.

Whether you are squeezing the handle or using the lock, it still pays to watch carefully in case the auto-stop fails. Then pull out part way and fill to the desired height. Couple tips:
1) If you're filling a near-empty tank, watch the gas meter until you hit the 2-gallon mark, then be a bit more careful in managing the handle.
2) Take a couple of windshield wipes (or carry your own) to hold under the nozzle going to and from the tank to catch any drips still in the nozzle.
3) If it's a hot day, and your going to immediately park the bike for awhile, don't try to top off, gas expands and might overflow.
4) Best time to buy gas is first thing in the morning when it's cold - you get more gas for your money. NOT! This is basically a myth, here's some details:
Is it true that the best time to fill up your tank is after dusk and fill up for best mileage results? - Yahoo! Answers

Back