• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

full face vs modular vs adventure helmets

My favorite type of helmet is

• full face

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • modular

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • adventure

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I did a two thousand mile trip in 2014 with my Arai that was about 50/50 off road and highway. You can tell that the visor is there, just dip your head a little and not a problem. However, I didn't spend all day at 80mph. The Arai is a nice helmet, but pricy. It also a little noisy at speed. Big Dog of Big Dog adventures likes his fly trekker and that man covers some miles each year. I would consider that a pretty good recommendation. The purpose of the design of the Adventure helmet is that off road you are working harder and breathing harder, thus some space is created for all of that hot air.

If you are trying to choose between adventure or modular for JUST on road riding, I'd go with the modular. Someone out there does make a helmet that does both, but the manufacturer escapes my weak memory. A little searching high turn it up.

Had a Caberg Tourmax for three days before some enterprising passerby with a set of bolt cutters stole it off my bike at the supermarket, so don't really remember how stable it was at speed.

Replaced it with a Bell Revolver Evo modular because it was economical and available off the shelf locally, it's big and heavy (xl-xxl head) but does the job. I added a 'super-visor' http://www.super-visor.com to the shield on this though, which is great for blocking sun/glare and I hardly notice it's there on the highway (it's noisy but the helmet was already any way).

Thought about replacing it with a cheaper full face Bell for touring recently but the ones I tried on were really glasses-unfriendly with their padding and I can't afford a Shoei, and these were the only ones in the store that fit my head, so not every manufacturer caters for the bespectacled in their full-face designs.

I use a Scorpion 900 modular which has the drop down sun visor which I love. I had previously only used the full face shield helmets which are lighter. The modular is suppose to be just as safe if they have the metal locking jaws. I got one for the extra face safety and all my riding is on roads, gravel or hard surface, no wood runs. The Modular is heavier but after a while I got use to it or built up neck muscles, one or the other. In the summer the modular is some hotter but it has several air transfer scoops and you can always flip the visor up some. In winter it will fog easily because it's so tight. I just crack the visor a tad along with the lower air intake which handles this issue.

I really like Modular Helmets. I flip mine open fairly often. Especially in the summer. If I am sitting at a long light, I flip in open to allow the breeze to cool my head. When I get fuel at the gas station I might flip in open. I can give a number of instances where I open the helmet. It is much easier to put on and take off. I used to wear full face helmets but I doubt I go back.

The discussion of their safety could be a concern but I look at it this way. It is a similar idea behind if you should wear a one piece or two piece suit. A one piece will protect you better since the jacket cannot roll up when you slide across the pavement but most of us choose to wear a two piece. It is a matter of preference.

Tim's helmet.jpg
I really like Modular Helmets. I flip mine open fairly often. Especially in the summer. If I am sitting at a long light, I flip in open to allow the breeze to cool my head. When I get fuel at the gas station I might flip in open. I can give a number of instances where I open the helmet. It is much easier to put on and take off. I used to wear full face helmets but I doubt I go back.

The discussion of their safety could be a concern but I look at it this way. It is a similar idea behind if you should wear a one piece or two piece suit. A one piece will protect you better since the jacket cannot roll up when you slide across the pavement but most of us choose to wear a two piece. It is a matter of preference.
My buddy Tim hit a deer two weeks ago. He was going 77 mph on his ST1300 and tumbled on the pavement about 200 feet after hitting the deer. He was wearing a Shoei Multitec and suffered a concussion along with a broken leg. He was back at work a week later. The helmet took a blow on the left temple that broke the chin bar hinge on that side but although losing integrity on that side the chin bar remained attached on the right side and more or less in place and protected his face. In the picture you can see how heavily abraded the shell is above where the ear would be. Anecdotal evidence like this proves nothing in regard to full face vs modular design but I am OK with the risk I take vs a FF.

Last edited:
I wish I had a choice. I really like the idea of a modular, and it would certainly help when I'm riding in the summer here, and need a drink every several minutes to avoid dehydration. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make a modular in a looong oval shape. Only Arai's Signet-Q (or the older Profile) fits me properly, such that I don't have a headache when riding on a long ride.

A thing I truly wish:
That helmet manufacturers would make their modulars, and their helmets with internal sun shields, equally safe as their 'plain' full-face helmets. At least most of them make sacrifices for those features. Regardless how protective the full-face offerings are, I wish they'd make the modulars and sunshade-equipped ones equally protective

I have been riding with a Shark Evoline Series 3 modular helmet for several years and through 2 accidents. It is certified in both full face and "jet" (chin bar flipped up and over the helmet by DOT and ECE 2205.

A quote from Revzilla:

The Shark Evoline 3 ST breaks new ground, picking up where previous Evoline helmets have left off and continuing to lead the way in modular helmet design. Shark's innovative Auto-Up system allows riders to rotate the chinbar of the Evoline 3 ST completely around to the back of the helmet and lock it in place, transforming from full face helmet to DOT/ECE 22.05 approved open-face helmet in just seconds.

An integrated drop-down internal sun visor, Sharktooth integration and Shark's Easy Fit system for eyeglasses just add to the Evoline 3 ST's already stellar reputation for being a bear in the modular helmet market. Great for long distance riding, inner city commuting and anything in between, the Shark Evoline 3 ST offers riders an unrivaled level of comfort, protection and freedom.

For my type of riding it has worked quite well for me on both highway and off road.

I wish I had a choice. I really like the idea of a modular, and it would certainly help when I'm riding in the summer here, and need a drink every several minutes to avoid dehydration. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make a modular in a looong oval shape. Only Arai's Signet-Q (or the older Profile) fits me properly, such that I don't have a headache when riding on a long ride.

A thing I truly wish:
That helmet manufacturers would make their modulars, and their helmets with internal sun shields, equally safe as their 'plain' full-face helmets. At least most of them make sacrifices for those features. Regardless how protective the full-face offerings are, I wish they'd make the modulars and sunshade-equipped ones equally protective

I use a camelbak & can snake the tube up into my full face Qwest for a drink on the road..

Do the helmets with the pull down sun visors work well when riding into the sun when it is low in the shy? I use the DS style helmet because I love having the visor. It is really the only reason I wear that type. I have many helmets but that is always the one I pick.

The shade on my Neotec reaches almost to my cheeks when fully extended, covers about 90% of my view range.

Do the helmets with the pull down sun visors work well when riding into the sun when it is low in the shy? I use the DS style helmet because I love having the visor. It is really the only reason I wear that type. I have many helmets but that is always the one I pick.

I love the flip down (or slide down I should say) internal visor. I have a bad habit of keeping the clear visor up and rising with only the sun visor. If I start feeling debris flying on the tires of a car I'll flip the clear visor down but I do enjoy the tinted visor. It works well for me. About as good as a pair of sunglasses do when your looking directly into the sun. It isn't perfect but good enough. I'm old school where you used to wear sunglasses with a full face but not anymore. Never again. I always look for the internal sun visor when purchasing new helmets. I won't buy one without it.

I have come to love a drop down sun visor. I wear bifocals and always had to carry my glasses and prescription sunglasses on rides depending on expected lighting. Riding in an area of rapidly changing sun and shade conditions like a canopied road the sun visor is up or down as needed and I no longer have to stop and change glasses. I'll never go back to a helmet without one. Shoei's version is infinitely adjustable to amount of drop-down and it is very dark like good sunglasses.

A strip of black electrical tape applied to the top edge of the visor when fully down, trimmed to taper to the outside edges, functions great to block the sun when it's low on the horizon. It's invisible in appearance and always there when needed.

I like my modular helmet because it can be a full face helmet or a open face helmet, and has a sunvisor. My helmet also lets me take pictures and videos in front of me, above me, and behind me. But most of all I like my AFX FX-140 because it FITS.

However, I believe that there needs to be a federal law that all modular helmets must have stainless steel latches. Most have plastic latches, and on impact the front section flys open.

Last edited:
At Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, Pa. a couple of years ago my wife and I talked to the people manning the Bell Helmets trailer.

They told us the modular helmets are not Snell approved due to there is no guarantee the chin bar will be down during an accident.

This came directly from the Bell employee.

God bless!!

Michael

At Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, Pa. a couple of years ago my wife and I talked to the people manning the Bell Helmets trailer.

They told us the modular helmets are not Snell approved due to there is no guarantee the chin bar will be down during an accident.

This came directly from the Bell employee.

God bless!!

Michael
I call BS on that.

It sounds like the Bell rep is placing the blame on the user instead of the Bell modular helmet. That's like saying no helmet can be certified safe because there is no guarantee that the rider would have fastened the chin strap. As I posted earlier, two modular helmets are Snell 2010 certified. The question of latching the chin bar doesn't sound like the issue.

There are open face helmets that are Snell certified but they obviously don't need to pass a chin bar test. I believe modular helmets are required to pass the same chin bar test as a full face.

Helmets with built in sun shades don't seem to be commonly Snell certified. I can only guess that the helmet simply won't pass the test, but I need to investigate that more.

Last edited:
I call BS on that.

It sounds like the Bell rep is placing the blame on the user instead of the Bell modular helmet. That's like saying no helmet can be certified safe because there is no guarantee that the rider would have fastened the chin strap. As I posted earlier, two modular helmets are Snell 2010 certified. The question of latching the chin bar doesn't sound like the issue.

There are open face helmets that are Snell certified but they obviously don't need to pass a chin bar test. I believe modular helmets are required to pass the same chin bar test as a full face.

Helmets with built in sun shades don't seem to be commonly Snell certified. I can only guess that the helmet simply won't pass the test, but I need to investigate that more.

I believe that is because the shell 'dome' is potentially compromised over the slot where the shades retract into. Not as much padding there in order to make room for the visor.
Looking at my $600 Shoei Neotec, there seems to be a 'brow' of extra outer shell material over this area, whereas on my $100 GM54 helmet there is not.

Also there's no guarantee that the hinge and latch mechanism isn't going to bust and flip the helmet open in a chin-down crash.
The latch on the Shoei Neotec is thinner than a tin can and the chin guard isn't that beefy. You can flex both of them with your fingers.

I'm not a big fan of the 'Adventure' (Arai style etc...) helmets for highway riding as the wind tends to catch the bill and wants to rip your head off when you're checking blind spots at 70mph.

I use a camelbak & can snake the tube up into my full face Qwest for a drink on the road..

I ran a Camelback attached to the armor I wore when I used to ride dirt bikes. It is NOT pleasant here to have ANYTHING more than my gear pressed against or hanging off of my person during the summer. Also, my Arai helmet fits very close to the chin, so hanging more crap off of it and trying to add the Camelback tube up to my mouth is... difficult.

I just got my first Modular, a Scorpion exo-gt920. So far I like it, isn't any heavier than my exo-500, is quite with the vents closed (not so much with them open). I don't know how well it will do in a crash, but with any luck, I'll never find out.

So it's about that time where I start to look at buying a new helmet. So far in all my years of riding, around 8 years, I have only used full faced helmets. I've been looking at some of the other styles and can't quite make up my mind. I like the look of the adventure helmets and I think the visor would be useful, but could also cause some issues. Modular have some perks, but I don't know how often I would actually use the flip chin bar. I also use a Bluetooth headset with a boom mic so I'm not sure how it might interfere.

So what do you use? what are the pros and cons?
Do you wear glasses? if you do, you will use the flip chin bar everytime (no removing of glasses to put helmet on required when modular is in the up position).

Back