• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel mileage with and w/o side cases

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed my Shad side cases and took the bike for its first shakedown ride with them in place. The bike is new, about 750 miles on it and up to the time I put the bags on I was averaging about 75 mpg. This is taking it easy on acceleration and cruising speed. Today with the bags my instantaneous readout when cruising indicates I am getting about 10 mpg less traveling at about 65 mph. Around 45 I am still getting good gas mileage. I was surprised to see the addition of the side cases would affect gas mileage as significantly as it has. Granted, I only rode for about 35 miles with them on but the change was duly noted immediately. Have any others have noticed the same affect?

One of the reasons I went for my Hepco & Becker Junior 55 Top Case first, rather than panniers.

The penalty with the Honda saddlebags is lower, but it's still there, at least at high speed.

I took my Kappa 33Ns off for a couple of weeks recently and saw about a 6 mpg increase in mileage. I bet I'd see 10 or more mpg difference on the interstate, but I try to avoid that when possible.

I have the OEM saddlebags and I have never removed them since purchasing the bike (3.5 yrs). My fuel economy hovers around 55 - 65 (depending on time of year) so your quote sounds about right.

As others have pointed out, side bags are a big killer of fuel economy. Mine are a small size but I still mount them only for multi day trips. I'd say mine lop off 5 mpg when installed and running highways. My average is 76.3, but with the bags I'm closer to 70-72.

Last edited:
I have the SW-Motech Blase saddlebags, and when I dont have them unzipped (for more room) they do not effect the mileage (as much). The added weight will effect the mileage for me, more than the aerodynamics of the bags. Until I expand them, and they extend out from my legs. I dont really care, personally. I havent even paid that much attention to mileage any more - I stop every few hours anyway to stretch my legs, and I fill up then, no matter what the gauge is saying.

How do you have an instantamous mpg readout...was that a special option??? By the way....i have the honda cases and when removed them i gained 5 mpg on the first fill up

My best tank 83.6 was with my panniers on, but the speed was 55 mph or less . Comutting 75-80 mph with top case and panniers gets between 48 and 53 mpg.

When I have my Ortlieb dry bags, tailbag, and Honda tall windshield on, my mileage drops 15 to 20 mpg. I don't care about the extra fuel, but it does reduce my cruising range considerably. I live in the PNW and there are pretty constant altitude changes and varying side or head winds. The NC struggles in those conditions, especially around 3000 rpm. Next trip I will be installing a 45T rear sprocket.

How do you have an instantamous mpg readout...was that a special option???

The instantaneous mpg is interesting, especially at the upper/lower thresholds...at a stop light it reads zero and coasting down a hill it reads 99. In between it's kind of fun to play with. I have no clue how accurate it is, but it shows around 68 mpg in 6th gear on flat ground @ 3000 rpms...that seems about right to me.

I liked toying with it to see how my riding translated to rough fuel mileage estimates. Instantaneous is a relative term though. If you're getting on the throttle going up a hill and it estimates 35 mpg, you might be halfway down the other side of the hill or further before it recalculates and displays 99.

It was fun and cool at first, but I don't use it any more. I mostly keep it cycled to the odometer.

Back