• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk Camping

anglachel

Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided to take the NC camping.
She is presently stock, no trunk, no saddle bags, no soft bags, no hard luggage.
I afforded myself a camel back for the ride (and holding water at camp) and set off to see if I could go camping with just the frunk. Goal was one night out, two "meals" (dinner and a hot breakfast).

Started with packing up the frunk:
20130823_123123.jpg
Start with a hammock
20130823_123129.jpg
A tarp
20130823_123141.jpg
Pillow
20130823_123301.jpg
Stove and fuel
20130823_123309.jpg
Pot and measuring cup
20130823_123517.jpg
And what meal would be complete without some food.
20130823_123522.jpg
And it closes!

I also loaded up the camel back with all my rain gear, some bug spray, and a water purifier (not photo'd, and not used on this trip):
20130823_181050.jpg

Took a nice ~210 mile trip up to northern Minnesota and visited one of our state parks. Campsite was kind of interesting that it was up stairs from the parking for that site:
20130823_180700.jpg
Unloaded everything:
20130823_180706.jpg

Next up on my list was to get the hammock and tarp up, forecast had 30% chance of rain/T-storms (though we got none, still everything under the tarp came out damp because of the humidity:
20130823_181021.jpg
Hammock
20130824_063011.jpg
Tarp half pitched
20130823_181825.jpg
Tarp pitched ready for a storm

Dinner was a mountain house food packet. It was terrible. The last time I had one of these was after a 10 mile hike with a 2,000 ft change in altitude carrying a 30 lbs pack... It was the best thing ever then, this time after the motorcycle did most of the work in moving me the 200 miles... not so good. If I were to do it again, maybe just some mac and cheese with powdered milk?
20130823_182351.jpg
All setup to "Cook"
20130823_183958.jpg
I assure you it is exactly as tasty as it look.

After a less than fantastic dinner it was off to bed:
20130824_054408.jpg

Breakfast however turned out exactly like I expected it to:
20130824_061528.jpg

This was also my first time riding on anything other than pavement... pulling into the campsite, I was grateful for the 5 mph speed limit (which I broke on the pavement as I idled a lot at 8-10mph) to be my excuse for moving so slowly... the next day when I left I felt fairly confident on the dirt/gravel/sand road (not all three mixed more of an ever changing gradient)

Sadly because of the short walk to the campsite most of my pics are NCless... but here is a few to prove it was at least some where with out pavement:
20130824_061132.jpg
20130824_061125.jpg
20130823_180723.jpg

Ride home was pretty decent until I got to the highway where I turned south and went from 55 mph - 60 mph to a speed limit of 70mph, and traffic generally doing 75-80 mph.... with a 10-20 mph head wind... I managed to keep up with traffic most of the time, I did have a few occasions when I had the throttle all the way open trying to pass some one, and the bike seemed to simply refuse to go much faster, either a down shift, or leaning down behind the windshield usually took care of the problem. I think a new windscreen is called for, because I don't appear to be aerodynamic enough to accelerate at highway speeds with a headwind (as good a reason as any right?)

Also on the trip home with the food gone, my rain gear and water purifier moved to the frunk.

Downshifting may be necessary no matter what windshield you mount. There's only so much 50 hp can do at 80-90 mph.

Very interesting post! Not a camper myself but if I did, I would have to reread your post again for the information. Also, you could have strapped an Orteib duffle on the back for some additional room but you probably didn't need it anyway.

Great thread ;)

Myself, camping last week, chose to fill the frunk with something else, lol:

DSCF0894.jpg

Not shown, but there was still a ton of room for other stuff I crammed in there.

I also took some Mountain House meals, but picked the chili and mac and the spaghetti, both of which I always really enjoy. I have never tried the stroganoff, and don't think I will, either.

Great camping post! What is the tarp you're using? I've been intrigued with tarp and hammock camping for a while and saw a similar setup at the HU event in NC.

I also took some Mountain House meals, but picked the chili and mac and the spaghetti, both of which I always really enjoy. I have never tried the stroganoff, and don't think I will, either.

The chilli mac is what I had at the top of the mountain in Yellowstone after that 10 mile hike... it was literally the best food I had eaten up to that point in my life, but that might have had more to do with how poorly the hike went.

Great camping post! What is the tarp you're using? I've been intrigued with tarp and hammock camping for a while and saw a similar setup at the HU event in NC.

It is the warbonnet superfly. It is massive, it's a 4 season tarp (doors on either side pull closed with a few cords you provide).
It's kind of a pain to setup compared to smaller tarps, but I wanted something that I could use for just about any situation.

Hammock was the $30 cheapy from woot.com a month or two ago, nothing fancy.

Thanks for the detailed account of your adventure. It's amazing how little we really need to enjoy a night out in the wild. If you had a Top Box and side cases you could probably go for six months!!

I'm impressed with your packing ability! I did a similar ride a few weeks back, overnight on the Oregon coast, as a test for future longer weekend trips. I didn't have a backpack, but I sure did fill up my Givi's. It was my first time hammock camping and I've got a few changes to make for next time. I'm headed toward using a Warbonnet Superfly like yours, glad to see it in your setup. Laughing with you on the food. I too went with Mountain House food, after a long ride in the drizzle I thoroughly enjoyed the warm dinner, but couldn't take more than two bites of the breakfast. I think I'll stick with the oatmeal for future rides! Great shots, thanks for sharing.

No toothbrush?
How did you like the hammock? I got that same one but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Keep in mind that 80mph with a 10-20mph head wind is basically 90-100mph so you are pushing the top speed of the bike.

No toothbrush?
How did you like the hammock? I got that same one but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Keep in mind that 80mph with a 10-20mph head wind is basically 90-100mph so you are pushing the top speed of the bike.

Hammock works great, I retied the ends (when I got it the cords at the ends seemed like they really wouldn't hold up to much).
Also pulled off the carabiners that came with it and put on ring buckles.

And I got rid of the stretchy rope that came with it and used the yellow stuff you see in the photo as a ridge line to make set up a little easier.

Nice, but no sleeping bag? seems like you would have plenty of room for it on the rear seat.

When I left the heat index was in the mid 90's, and low was supposed to be something like 73... I took a chance with out a sleeping bag.
I did actually get a little cold not because of the temp, but because the hammock is made out of a quick dry material that will wick moisture away, and moisture built up under the tarp... then wicked away from the hammock where it was warmest place (my ***) and then the evaporation made everything really cold... but my top side was mostly fine (I did end up wearing my boots to stay warm, you can see that in the photo).

Great pics and trip bro. I think all us NC peeps are cowboys or indians at heart. Long day on the trail, nature's beauty at night, and a Jack's finest drink around the campfire. Make me happy just thinking about it.

D

It never occurred to me until reading this that I could probably go for two-three days easily with just the frunk, a big Camelbak and my twisted throttle dryspec D66 luggage, no sidebags necessary. Note: I do not own a NC yet because I have been trying to sell a BMW F650 for the last two months. I have given up and will just go trade it.

Back