• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Rotor options

maxwellian

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, has anyone tried any of the aftermarket options for a front rotor? Mine has 0.3mm of wear left, so I've ordered one to keep on hand for my next pad change.

The only options I found were

• OEM (Sunstar) - MSRP $400+ :eek: - Best price I've found $272 & Free shipping at Procaliber
  • TRW/Lucas - Seen on fleaBay for ~$140 & $22 Shipping from UK --> US, Lots of holes and slots.
  • Brembo - Best price from Carpimoto for ~$75 & $19 Shipping from IT --> US

Anyone else making a rotor for our bikes? Anyone find a better deal on the OEM rotor? Seems like a pretty penny for one flat piece of metal with some holes drilled in it.

I've ordered the Brembo. I'll report back on how it works out.

I've got a little over 11k. I wasn't using much rear brake for most of that (ergonomics were bad with drop pegs), but I moved things, and I'm using it more now. I expect to change the rotor and current pads some time between 15 and 20k.

I've got some OEM pads that will go on next. Currently using Galfer organics, so far so good. previous EBCs wore out crazy fast.

Max..........are you using a micrometer to measure the rotor thickness ? What is your current rotor thickness ?

The reason I ask:

New rotor thickness is 4.8 - 5.2 mm

At 9000 miles mine measures 4.90 mm

Service limit is 4.00 mm

Last edited:
[..I expect to change the rotor and current pads some time between 15 and 20k.]

Obviously your stop & go frequencies are much higher than where I live in rural OH! :p

My bike is new w/only 6.4 miles on the clock w/a rotor thickness of 4.9mm (.193").

The ABS brakes (XA/XD bikes) are linked; operating the rear brake pedal applies the rear brake and a portion of the front brake; front brake lever, only front brake applied.

After a spirited ride years ago, over some winding roads, I would get off my bike and touch the rotors of mine and co-riders bikes and said, 'Oh, mine are the coolest!'.
A co-rider, following me off a mountain road commented at the bottom, 'you don't use your brakes much, do you?' I don't. Braking uses up grip; setting up a turn correctly, using the least amount of braking is best.

I've been able to squeeze a lot of life from a set of brake pads and can't imagine needing a new rotor before 50K miles. :mad: :D

Are you sure that's how the brake linking works?

Most linked brakes work the opposite. Front brake lever applies both brakes, while using the rear ONLY applies the rear.

I have no idea on the NC, since I don't have an ABS model, but it definitely seems backwards to me....

He's right. That's correct. Rear brake applies to both. That's the reason why many NC user use mostly the pedal to brake. According to me, it's a rather dangerous habit.

Well that's silly and Honda should reverse that.

Linked braking should occur when using the front lever, not rear pedal.

That's silly. And different than most manufacturers.

Oh well, I have a manual and use both :)

Last edited:
Well that's silly and Honda should reverse that.

Linked braking should occur when using the front lever, not rear pedal.

That's silly. And different than most manufacturers.

Oh well, I have a manual and use both :)

It's has been that way from 1983 Goldwing.......the first bike (Honda) with linked brakes.

[Linked braking should occur when using the front lever, not rear pedal.]

A huge majority of people in the US know how to drive cars and none of the cars have a hand-operated brake for normal braking. Yes, the parking brake can be hand-operated but it's not used for stopping. So if most people who are potential motorcycle customers know and feel familiar with the foot brake on a car, it'd greatly increase the likelihood of more accidents if a manufacturer relied on a linked system triggered by the front brake.

I followed a Harley rider one day and for several stops, he never used his front brake.

Last edited:
BMW's are linked front to rear. The safety issue is non existent.

And people using rear only brake the majority of the time also need some remedial training.

I'll use the rear brake to scrub off the last bit of speed when approaching a stop light and won't be on the front at that point, but any motorcyclist linked or not should be using their front brake first, and rear brake As a supplement. Sometimes road conditions change that, but in general speaking.

FYI, according to WikiPedia, Hondas "CBS" system is applied both with the front brake lever ANDY rear brake lever. If that's correct, that makes MORE sense than ONLY rear brake lever activating it -- but I still think the rear should be solo.

According to WikiPedia: When you apply the rear brake it's master cylinder activates the front caliper also. When you apply the front brake lever, it applies front brake and activates a secondary valve which ALSO applies the rear brake.

Info: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_braking_system

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are many different Honda linked braking system over many models and years. Some very simple, some very complex, some mixed with ABS, some without ABS.

Back