• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Disc side shock leaking

Don

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a massive leaking shock this spring when I took my NC750x out of hibernation this spring. The shock oil came out so much that it was pooling in the rim and overflowing onto the floor. No problem noticed at the end of the 2016 riding season. I was quite surprised as the bike only had like 20,000 km on it. Anyway I had the shocks rebuilt this May at the beginning of this riding season at the local Honda dealer. Gulp ... and even with Honda Plus extra warranty Honda would not cover the cost.

... and so now with only 6,000 more km (and it's been leaking for a while) here we are again. I know watch out for loss of brakes. I wrapped a paper shop towel around a tie wrap to catch the oil. Also ... I've tried that thing about using 35mm film to hook out debris that might be caught in the seal.

... So I took it to the dealer again yesterday to see what they are going to do and it sounds like they are going to charge me mainly for parts to rebuild the one shock again. (not both this time)

Once I'm sure it's properly fixed, I might put some new brake pads on as the front brakes are not working as great as I think they should. They stop okay and always end in a little squeakish kind of sound. I'm not positive I could actually get the ABS to engage unless I was on gravel.

So waiting for parts but still driving and have that diaper around the shock to catch oil before it gets to my brake.

any thoughts?

Don

If you are riding in dirt (dried mud will tear up a seal quickly) much then it happens and I would suggest fork covers. I like the classic accordion style. If you are street only then it makes me wonder if you have a scratch/nick in the chrome tube part. That can tear the seal. Dealership should have checked for a scratch.

^^^^ what he said. I would add that I use the fork covers even though I ride on the pavement only because of getting small chips on my forks from little rocks. I had to file down the burrs and rebuild my shocks with about 50,000 miles on it.

If you're mainly on pavement check this thread out:
Fork Seal Protectors??

Another thing to think about is a fender extender to protect your radiator from damage.
I forgot about the fender extender, I put one on also. Good buy, it also saves your valve cover from getting so many dings and possibly your radiator

I did the fenda extenda upgrade.
The biggest thing I see on my shock tubes is the dead mosquitos that collect on it but I clean them off fairly often.
I'm not sure if mosquito guts would damage the seals but it probably would be a good idea to find something to cover up the shock tubes.

After I mounted the seal protectors I went to the largest motorcycle dealer around and checked out the bikes. Pretty much all of them had something in front of the tubes to protect the seals. I can only think Honda cheaped out by not doing the same.

After I mounted the seal protectors I went to the largest motorcycle dealer around and checked out the bikes. Pretty much all of them had something in front of the tubes to protect the seals. I can only think Honda cheaped out by not doing the same.
The protection you saw isn't for the seals - they are recessed down into the sliders. The protection is for the fork stanchions (tubes) and the 'protection' would have to be as tall as the total travel of the suspension to protect the fork tubes from nicks or other damage that would swipe against the seals during full compression. What other bikes have these? A few but not ADV bikes unless a full gaiter.

FWIW I've had bikes with and without protection and empirically there isn't a difference in seal life from my POV. I prefer not to have covers over the tubes. Down here it rains alot and is humid most all year round. Anything that holds moisture against metal encourages corrosion and it's those pits on the stanchions that tear the seals. Full covers like gaiters cause more corrosion than they prevent nicks.

Sometimes when a bike is left lying up for a long period the seal will deform causing the leak when the bike is used again. I am told that even new bikes on shop floors have had this happen.

When ever I get seals replaced I also have the bushings checked and replaced if there is any significant wear on them. I do this in addition to the other points mentioned above because if a bushing is worn to the extent that it causes a seal to fail then it will do it again. I also have both sides done as a pair.

Back