• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frame Sliders?

ncjwt

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been doing some research looking for the best option for frame sliders or even engine guards. Nothing has seemed reasonable or worth it yet. Any thoughts out there?

Don't care for the way those mount. Really mess up your day to crack your engine case because you had a spill.

Have to agree with that. Two of those three bolts are 6mm bolts with very low torque spec into the threaded engine case. I am not a fan of frame sliders on street bikes (especially if they plan to travel on unpaved roads), but there was another one being discussed here that had a much better method of attachment

None of them are worth it until you need them. At that moment, the expensive ones are cheap.

Hi Lee, what is your wisdom on the frame slider deal? This is the first I have heard of them. They obviously don't do what the engine guard bars do, correct?

Good looking sato frame sliders. I wish could see a picture of the entire bike with the sliders on, as they would also be used as your highway pegs also. This would solve two problems at once.

Have to agree with that. Two of those three bolts are 6mm bolts with very low torque spec into the threaded engine case. I am not a fan of frame sliders on street bikes (especially if they plan to travel on unpaved roads), but there was another one being discussed here that had a much better method of attachment

I agree as well. I haven't seen an engine guard that impresses me either. Recommendations?

I agree as well. I haven't seen an engine guard that impresses me either. Recommendations?

If I look at the times that a bike could not be driven away from a slide-out, it was normally a generator or clutch cover grinding through to oil. Sometimes it is a shift lever, though I have personally ridden out with a pair of vice grips for a shifter arm and no left footpeg so work-arounds are possible. Look for something that protects the lower half of the engine. Most people focus on saving the plastic. With Dale's bash plate, folding lever, and a good set of Barkbusters or ProBends you could probably ride away from any reasonable slide that did not include a loud bang at the end.

I have the Givi bars and I like them, but I do not think they are adequate by themselves unless you are just looking for protection from parking lot tip-overs..

If I look at the times that a bike could not be driven away from a slide-out, it was normally a generator or clutch cover grinding through to oil. Sometimes it is a shift lever, though I have personally ridden out with a pair of vice grips for a shifter arm and no left footpeg so work-arounds are possible. Look for something that protects the lower half of the engine. Most people focus on saving the plastic. With Dale's bash plate, folding lever, and a good set of Barkbusters or ProBends you could probably ride away from any reasonable slide that did not include a loud bang at the end.

I have the Givi bars and I like them, but I do not think they are adequate by themselves unless you are just looking for protection from parking lot tip-overs..

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Do you have a link to Dales bash plate?
I've heard several people talking about it but I have never actually seen one (that I can remember). And, since I'm on the subject, I'm guessing that we can speak to the rigidity of the product but do we have a weight measurement for it? It is a NEEDED addition but I'm just hoping that it isn't 15lbs or more. LOL

See:

Need a Skid Plate for Alaska trip.

I just for some reason do not like the cosmetic look of the Hepco & Becker Skid Plate .

AltRider will not have their skid plate out until September.

HONDABIKEPRO is out of stock, and won't make another until this winter.

DanWill gives a great picture of the only thing currently on the market on page two. At this time it is Hepco & Becker Skid Plate. Dan took care of the cosmetic issue by powder coating black.

Back