• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Four DCT Bikes in the USA: NC700XD + CTX700D + Africa Twin DCT + The New VFR1200XD

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now the USA has four DCT bikes with the newly released to the USA VFR1200X that is also available now with an updated dual clutch transmission. Shaft drive, V-4, tubeless spoked wheels and a 5.68 gallon tank. The Honda Powersport site doesn't list the weight but the seat height is 33.6 inches compared to the AT at Standard position 34.3/Low position 33.5 inches. I think I'm more likely to get a sit-on on the VFR than I will on an AT.

I just wish they'd introduce a normal street bike with DCT in the ~80 to 100hp class. I'd like some more power but as nice as the Africa Twin is, I really don't count on doing enough offroad to justify giving up a proper street suspension for it. I know the AT has a way better setup than the NC700 but it would be even better if they made it a real sport tourer or big naked instead. The VFR1200 is nice and all but way too big/powerful/expensive for my tastes

There are 5 models if you consider the CTX700 comes in the naked and faired versions. I've seen wet weight for the DCT Crosstourer VFR1200X at 633 lbs.

What about the NM4/ Voltus? I test rode one in the US last year. It had a DCT. Is it still a current model?

I just wish they'd introduce a normal street bike with DCT in the ~80 to 100hp class. I'd like some more power but as nice as the Africa Twin is, I really don't count on doing enough offroad to justify giving up a proper street suspension for it. I know the AT has a way better setup than the NC700 but it would be even better if they made it a real sport tourer or big naked instead. The VFR1200 is nice and all but way too big/powerful/expensive for my tastes
I'd like a NC1000X if you don't mind. The more I read about the AT I see it as less desirable for my use. It is an awesome motorcycle but I'm seeing it now as just too much off road focused for me. Not to take away from those that bought one or are waiting for one. Part of my frame of reference is I still have a sport tourer in the garage to temper the desire for more power and I just don't do soft dirt.

I'd like a NC1000X if you don't mind. The more I read about the AT I see it as less desirable for my use. It is an awesome motorcycle but I'm seeing it now as just too much off road focused for me. Not to take away from those that bought one or are waiting for one. Part of my frame of reference is I still have a sport tourer in the garage to temper the desire for more power and I just don't do soft dirt.

yep - at DCT equivalent of the 1200RT or FJR1300 would be very enticing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I predict that soon you will see a super motard styled DCT equipped motorcycle from Honda based on the AT. Too much $$ tied up in that platform's R&D and manufacturing to keep the technology unique to only that one model.

Bump the hp to an even 100 and put a set of 17 inch Marchesini bling-bling rims wrapped with Pirelli Diablos.....done ;-)

Last edited:

I agree. I have a standing order in at my local BMW dealer that as soon as an R1200RT-DCT is available here in the USA, to put me #1 on the list.
I really loved my R1200RT but simply got tired of the constant shifting and stop'n'go here in SoCal.

Thank you LBS Sorry to be so dense! While here; my dream bike is something that looks like the last iteration Honda Magna with a Mustang saddle and a first class light bar. This powered by the 2016 DCT ABS tech. Wait! Wait! - maybe something that looks like the 1978 CB 750s. I like sitting like I'm in a chair all 90 degree angles. I don't really like legs back weight tilted forward as on NCs nor do I like legs forward as on the CTX700 especially while going over RR tracks and serious pot holes.

VFR1200x

I just got a new VFR1200x for long distance and dirt roads. It has a much improved dct shift points, then my 2014 nc700xd. If you get the chance to ride one do not pass it up. When you put it in gear and drive away, you will not believe how light the steering is, and the linked abs, in the dirt works very well. The adjustable windshield also work well even at 6.3. Very impressed with it. Just finished make trax bag mount, to install the bags, sw-motech has them but will take to long to get here, also making a skid plate. But may nc is still my hard core off road bike. If I can get caught up, just have to lace my new spoke wheels, in a 17 17 size, to me a 19 on the front is not a choice, way to long a wheel base, and raising the front end has to be matched on the rear, totally effecting the handling, and swing arm angle. Dale

Yeah, I agree. An NC750RT.

I took delivery of my 2016 NC700DCT last week.
I've been accustomed to BMWs for the last 10-15 yeras... R1200GSs, RTs and K1200GTs, all pruned a bit to enhance wind and weather protection.
In that time I've had a few V-Strom 650s as well... GIVI Airflow windscreens work magic on those bikes in providing a level of wind and weather protection that I desire.

The first ride, ~200 miles, on the NC was a shocker.
Temps were supposed to be in the upper 70s...., wore a mesh jacket.
Temps turned out in the low to mid 70s... I became nearly hypothermic.
Even with earplugs, the wind noise was terrible. Probably would have been better to remover the screen altogether than let it concentrate airflow right at my face shield.
The wind roared up the bottom of my full face helmet at the left strap side...stopped at gas station and grabbed a wad of paper towels to stuff up in that area of the helmet... helped a little...
Not a kid anymore, I was beaten by the time I got home.

Ordered a Calsci screen.. there's nothing else available at this time for the 2016 NC. Don't much like the looks of it, I'm sure it'll help some though. Tried Calsci on my various BMWs.. didn't really cut it for me. They are too flat... no flip on the top to direct air up and over my face shield. Probably gonna have to buy a spoiler for the top as well.

Last edited:

There is a "clutchless" version of the FJR available outside the US - the AS -http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/fjr1300as.aspx

It used to be sold here in the US too - but it was called the AE here
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE: MD Ride Review « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

OK...I am going to be the weirdo here and say: I currently have a CRF250L and an NC700XD (DCT) BUT I want/wish for a CRF250L with DCT.

(((Actually if I am wishing, I want a CRF350L with DCT...AND while I am wishing...I want it to weight around/less than 250Lbs and with a 3.5gallon tank. That is all!)))

OK...I am going to be the weirdo here and say: I currently have a CRF250L and an NC700XD (DCT) BUT I want/wish for a CRF250L with DCT.

(((Actually if I am wishing, I want a CRF350L with DCT...AND while I am wishing...I want it to weight around/less than 250Lbs and with a 3.5gallon tank. That is all!)))

LOL. Thats exactly what i ride now as well. Sold my 2013 CBR500r 2 months ago... wishing I kept it !!! I agree with your thoughts on a CRF350...actually I am surprized Honda isn't using the CBR300 motor in the CRF platform yet. AND a bigger tank would be welcome !! LOL

I test rode the VFR 1200 while waiting on service on my nc. Very nice bike, feels a lot like the nc700 dct except roomier and lots more power.

I think they are missing out by not making a small beginner bike with dct, like a 300f or a 500x.
We who ride motorcycles forget that almost no one has a manual shift car anymore, and they may not want to shift.

The NC 700 weighs 475. A little one at about 350 pounds would be fun.

Last edited:
I think they are missing out by not making a small beginner bike with dct, like a 300f or a 500x.
They call them scooters and Honda (and many others) make a bunch of them with CVTs, absolutely no need for an expensive DCT beginner bike.

Back