• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fly Screen for NC700X

pismocycleguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for some ideas, and/or photos, of fly screens for the NC700X.
Need to have something smaller for the warmer weather, and still obtain "some" wind protection and "reduction" of buffeting and noise. Not looking for Gold Wing comfort. Just smoother/quieter wind flow.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, comments, and photos.

A Honda touring screen cut down to the stock screen size is my summer hot weather screen :cool:

This allows quick change and better mount.

I'm thinking about making one. You're looking for smaller than stock, right?

I have made several (more than three), all big, but making a smallish one from an 18x24 piece of Lexan (Home depot) kwouldn't be too tough.

Here's some unrequested advice:
1) use Lexan (not plexiglass). Lexan is much stronger
2) use Dale's nut plates to secure it... no matter how big it is, the nut plate is better engineering than stock. You can order those from Dale here on the boards.

Love to see photos of the finished item!
mywindscreen.jpg

The easy way to do a small fly screen is to use a helmet face shield and cut it to the shape you want and drill holes to match the stock shield mounts. You can also look on the thread titled Windshield Science Project 2 in this section of the forum. There is a picture that shows a black inner deflector behind a National Cycle Deflector Shield. It may be about the size you have in mind. It's just a piece of acrylic cut to the basic shape of the stock shield, but shorter.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4977-windshield-science-project-2-deflector-shield.html
Bob

Last edited:
P1010007.jpgP1010010.jpg

Face shield trimmed to match some of the lines on the NC and painted black on the back. I tried several heights and if they move the air flow to close to the bottom of the helmet I find they make noise.

Art

Last edited:
I have made several (more than three), all big, but making a smallish one from an 18x24 piece of Lexan (Home depot) kwouldn't be too tough.

Here's some unrequested advice:
1) use Lexan (not plexiglass). Lexan is much stronger
2) use Dale's nut plates to secure it

I have Dale's nut plates already, and I have some sample templates from when I was experimenting with the National Cycle Deflector screen when working with dduelin.
Any suggestions on the actual height of the fly screen needed to smooth air flow without directing the flow into the helmet area?

Face shield trimmed to match some of the lines on the NC and painted black on the back. I tried several heights and if they move the air flow to close to the bottom of the helmet I find they make noise.
Art
Which height of your shield did you find produced the quietest air flow? How high above the top of the instrument cluster,
Or the top windscreen mounting holes in the instrument cluster?
And what is your height? Trying to get a rough idea on where to start on the fly screen height.
Thanks

shields

Which height of your shield did you find produced the quietest air flow? How high above the top of the instrument cluster,
Or the top windscreen mounting holes in the instrument cluster?
And what is your height? Trying to get a rough idea on where to start on the fly screen height.
Thanks
We all seem to have different tolerances or what ever you want to call it to noise. I prefer a "naked motorcycle". I'm 6' 1" in height to answer one of the questions. I started by taking off the stock shield and seeing what the air flow noise for the NC was like, and have to say the forward beak and body part are not as quiet as the S-model NC probably is with the instrument cluster closer to the rider, just my guess as the S-NC is not sold in the US. I stuck an old face shield on just to see how it would work and the air flow hit me about the nipple line on the chest and seemed pretty good. Next I bought a piece of plastic from the hardware store and made a couple shields. Kind of a pain to get the curve right and found that the best I could do had a different curve than the face shield, and if the height was only a couple inches above the instrument cluster the air flow was right under the helmet and made for some loud roaring at highway speed. So I went back to the face shield plastic. HJC CL-15 model though I'm pretty sure the sizes are all pretty close. I found the top to bottom height just covers the mounting brackets, which makes that part easy to line up and just a matter of centering the shield over the holes. The curve is a real close match. The shield had a nice line on each side for the side trimming, and a person can trim the corners to what they feel looks good.

Art

We all seem to have different tolerances or what ever you want to call it to noise. I prefer a "naked motorcycle". I'm 6' 1" in height to answer one of the questions. I started by taking off the stock shield and seeing what the air flow noise for the NC was like, and have to say the forward beak and body part are not as quiet as the S-model NC probably is with the instrument cluster closer to the rider, just my guess as the S-NC is not sold in the US. I stuck an old face shield on just to see how it would work and the air flow hit me about the nipple line on the chest and seemed pretty good. Next I bought a piece of plastic from the hardware store and made a couple shields. Kind of a pain to get the curve right and found that the best I could do had a different curve than the face shield, and if the height was only a couple inches above the instrument cluster the air flow was right under the helmet and made for some loud roaring at highway speed. So I went back to the face shield plastic. HJC CL-15 model though I'm pretty sure the sizes are all pretty close. I found the top to bottom height just covers the mounting brackets, which makes that part easy to line up and just a matter of centering the shield over the holes. The curve is a real close match. The shield had a nice line on each side for the side trimming, and a person can trim the corners to what they feel looks good.
Art
Art,
Thanks for your input about the sizing of the fly screen and increased or decreased wind noise from same.
I have a couple of shorty wind blockers that I used when I was experimenting with the Deflector screen that I am going to test out tomorrow without the large Deflector screen. I believe you are on the right tract with minimal fly screens just to quiet the wind stream over the instrument cluster. I'm also going to make a couple more each a little bit taller to see if I can find a sweet spot.

The easy way to do a small fly screen is to use a helmet face shield and cut it to the shape you want and drill holes to match the stock shield mounts....

Thanks for the idea, and the pictures, Oldenuf

I'll definitely try the visor first, I've got a couple scuffed ones.

So I tried the visor, decided I wanted something to keep a bit more blast off my chest. Made a screen about 2" shorter than the stock one.
y8ysunu4.jpg

Just enough airflow to the chest when I leave my stitch zipped to the sternum. Not so much to lean against, helmet is in fairly clean airflow.

I can make a template if anyone wants one.

I can make a template if anyone wants one.
maxwellian,
I would be very happy to get a template of your approx. 2" shorter screen. How and what are you making the template from?
Paper that could be folded to mail? Cardboard that would take a large envelope? Do you want me to send some money via PayPal to cover your expense and postage? Let me know your plans and any costs you need to recover.
Thanks,
PCG

I made it from acrylic from McMaster Carr. Traced a shape from the stock screen, cut on the bandsaw, then heat and bent over the side of a tamale pot.

I was thinking a PDF template.

Max,
The PDF template should work fine if I can print it out on my printer. Are you going to email to me, or post on this thread?
Thanks

Here's a dropbox folder link

https://db.tt/gvFy3WLl

One on a big Super A3 page, or tiled on two legal sized pages.

McMaster-Carr
And a link to the plastic I used. I had other stuff to order from them though. I picked acrylic because i don't really care about impact resistance, and it's more scratch and UV resistant than polycarbonate.

Last edited:
Here's a dropbox folder link

https://db.tt/gvFy3WLl

One on a big Super A3 page, or tiled on two legal sized pages.

McMaster-Carr
And a link to the plastic I used. I had other stuff to order from them though. I picked acrylic because i don't really care about impact resistance, and it's more scratch and UV resistant than polycarbonate.
Max
I printed out a copy of your drawing. I then measured the height of the screen. It seems to measure about 12" from top to bottom. Is that correct. I believe that the stock OEM screen measures about 13" from top to bottom.
Would you confirm my measurements as I may have screwed up the print out.
What is the physical measurement (top to bottom) of the screen in your photo?
Thanks for your efforts.

You guys crack me up, it seems that one minute you're all fitting barn doors as screens and the next you're cutting em down to smaller than stock. ;)

I'm happy with my stock sized stock screen, I would however, like to have an MRA type spoiler to fit it, I can't find one smaller enough for the stock screen though. :confused:

Back