• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fixed the Rear Seat!

dakotamiles

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I (finally found!) and talked to our local motorcycle upholsterer who said that the rear seats on motorcycles are designed for looks, not for sitting on. The rear seat on the NC700X is no exception. Meanwhile, I have a wife who will consider riding with me as long as she doesn't have to sit on a glorified sawhorse. We took one trip and she informed me that the rear seat is all wrong - it is too narrow, it slopes forward, and it bulges up in the middle.

I spent a lot of time looking at alternatives and was about to buy a Corbin seat but they wouldn't sell me a rear seat only - I had to buy the front seat too, because the two seats mate differently than the OEM ones do.

That's when I finally went looking for the local motorcycle upholsterer. And he seems to know what he's doing. (If you go to the Sturgis Rally, you'll find him fixing everyone's seats!)

I took my rear seat to him and in a couple of days he had me come back for the new version. He put in a steel plate to make it flat and wider, fixed the slant, and then put on some decent padding. It works a lot better for people to park their rear ends on! It latches just the same as always. The only problem is that it's a little tight against the top box when I open it to fill the tank.

new seat640.jpg tilted up.jpg

You can sort of see the dents where it is supported by the grab rails, or whatever you call them. It kind of rests on those a little bit.

I took the missus on a short ride and she was a lot happier with her perch this time. I think it looks fine, but I'm all about function over beauty.

And while I was there, he told me that my seat is probably uncomfortable because it slants forward, would I like him to fix that for me too? I was reasonably okay with the original seat but I said "sure!". In about 20 minutes we got the seat off, he opened it up and dished out the back part of the foam with just the right shape for a pair of male seat bones, stapled it back together and I bolted it back on. You can't see the difference in the picture as he used the same fabric, so it is stretched over the new dimples. But I hadn't realized what I was missing! Now my seat is comfy and I don't slide forward, and my wife may actually ride with me more often!

Best of all, the price for both these fixes was about $250, less than the price of a single replacement seat. So if you can find a good motorcycle upholsterer, they might be able to get you fixed up.

Or, if you come to Sturgis for the rally, just look for Kreun Kustomz in the antique baby blue van. But you'll probably have to take a number because he's likely to be busy.

That looks nice and might be what I need to bring my wife on a ride with me. Have the two of you gotten to test it out yet?

You answered multiple questions for me at one time!

I was going to contact Corbin to see if you could buy just the back seat for my wife (since they list the price of the back seat along with the price of the front seat on their website).

I have gone to Kreun Kustom's website and I will email and see if he would accept having a seat shipped out to him.

Since we have a first hand report in you it makes it very easy just to go ahead and ship the seat out.

I will wait until after Sturgis to do so since he is probably really busy leading up to the event.

Thanks Dakotamiles!

God bless!!

Michael

I'm glad I could help! And I was happy to get these fixes.

One of the things I thought was good about going to this guy is that he is local. I'm sure that Williamsport has to be big enough to have a motorcycle upholsterer. Usually the motorcycle dealers know about these people, and so do the upholstery companies. But I shouldn't dissuade you from contacting Mr. Kreun because I like him and I want him to keep getting business.

To Greenex, Yes, I took my wife for a short ride. She said "It's better". She is not able to compare with other motorcycle seats as this is all new to her! (As it is to me). I'm thinking I ought to take her down to Mr. Kreun and they can talk about making little adjustments.

Back