• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fixed stock seat with highway pegs

Skeleton

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple weeks ago I road 500 kms on my new bike. It was all highway riding at about 120 kph. The trip revealed some discomfort for long rides, for my preferences.

1) Stock seat leans forward bit too much. It is uncomfortable.
2) The foot pegs are too high and back. It gave my legs slight cramping after a few hours.
3) The stock screen gave no wind protection. It was pushing my chest too much, requiring stronger hand grip.

I since installed a taller after-market wind screen. This solved the problem fully.

Yesterday I received highway pegs. Kuryakyn #7933 - Large ISO-Pegs with offset & 1.35" magnum quick clamps. They allowed me to alternate my leg position, which remedied my leg cramping on long trips.

Interestingly, the highway pegs also remedied my discomfort with the stock seat. As mentioned, I think part of the problem of the seat is that it is cocked forward, causing the rider to gradually slide forward - where the seat is more narrow. However, when my legs are swung forward onto the highway pegs, this posture naturally creates a backward movement (caused by my forward slung feet). This backward movement of the pegs counter-acts the forward movement of the slanted seat; this results in a neutral seating posture. Instantly, the seating was comfortable.

Kuryakyn has a clamp that bolts easily and properly to the bike's steel tubular frame. Kuryakyn is fully adjustable for height, pitch angle, etc. Make sure you order the 1.35" diameter clamp (as I noted). I covered the inside face of the clamp with rubber electric tape, so as to not scratch the paint finish on the bike's frame.

Highway pegs ... oooh! Comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,701
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,512
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,116
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,495
Last edited:
Bonus! ... The highway peg would probably function somewhat as a frame slider.

It has about the same profile as conventional frame sliders. So it should be able to contact the ground 'first' upon a tip-over of the bike. Given that the product's fastening clamp is a single point of contact using an offset friction clamp, I would expect the footpeg will rotate upon impact. As such, it will merely take the initial high impact force, then rotate away, after which other points on the bike's side will eventually contact the ground. This probably would involve the handlebar grip ends, levers, faux tank, muffler, foot pegs.

I would not consider this to be a failure of the footpeg to function as a frame slider. I have had conventional frame sliders on two previous sport bikes; they function and dysfunction as I noted above. As I know them to be, frame sliders merely serve to take the initial and forceful impact of a tip-over.

So, footpegs as frame sliders. Sure, but sort of.

I had the same ones for my bike before I got crash bars. I scuffed up the chrome, put on a couple of coats of self-etching primer and then applied a couple of coats of Rustoleum spray-on rubber. I like the grayed-out look better than the chrome look as my bike is black and gray.

Highway pegs ... oooh! Comfortable.

I'm not criticizing your mod, but it think it's funny how we differ. I ride all day, 500 miles, usually with my feet under me and my heels on the passenger pegs like your upper photo. I can only go about 15 minutes with my feet out front like in the lower photo, and I'm starting to hurt. Just looking at that lower photo, it looks painful to me. And yet for some it's the best choice.

Seriously, I'm glad it works out for you. The feet forward posture is very popular in the US.

Last edited:
The feet forward posture is very popular in the US.

Feet forward makes me nervous but it is more about where I ride than it being uncomfortable. I think I passed around 35 semi trucks on my way to work at 0500 this morning. There is no way I’d ride any portion of my 30 minute commute to work with my feet on forward mounted pegs.

Just like you I am very comfortable with my feet directly under me. I do not feel I could react quick enough if I needed to make an evasive move.

For those that have them I’m sure it is a great addition to your riding experience. I prefer not to have them.

I have similar highway pegs on my NC and I am the same way. The feet forward position makes me nervous and puts took much pressure on my butt. They are good for a short stretch of my legs, but not for more than a few minutes.

Feet forward makes me nervous but it is more about where I ride than it being uncomfortable. I think I passed around 35 semi trucks on my way to work at 0500 this morning. There is no way I’d ride any portion of my 30 minute commute to work with my feet on forward mounted pegs.

Just like you I am very comfortable with my feet directly under me. I do not feel I could react quick enough if I needed to make an evasive move.

For those that have them I’m sure it is a great addition to your riding experience. I prefer not to have them.

Kurys look good! I have to be able to stretch my legs now and then. My knees will lock up just sitting in one place for too long. Old age? Maybe or just years of abuse, but I really like the option.

I placed mine on the frame and use them perhaps 30% of my 90 mile commute. That, together with my 2" Bill Mayer seat pad makes a huge difference for me.

hety6ume.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I have OP's same Kury pegs, in that same spot. I don't actually use them that often, but it's very nice to be able to straighten my knees out a bit for a while. The Honda lower air deflectors offer nearly the same option, and they're in the most-comfortable spot for me, but I'm afraid I'll break them off if I fully rest my feet on them much.

This is some great information. I was wondering about putting some highway pegs on my new bike but I was going to wait for someone else to do the research for me. Thanks!

Img_2996.jpg
Similar mod on my NC750S but fixed to the crash bars. They work for me on long and short rides. I don't have a problem with regard to the back brake. Just switch back if I can see a problem arising. Never been a problem to date. Got my pegs from Ebay

I had to leave my beloved "sport bike" riding a few years ago as i could no longer ride in that tucked position any longer. So, with my arthritic knees, the NC700 was a great option and i have so enjoyed it. However, on rides longer then twenty minutes(seriously), i must be able to move my feet to another position and back as needed. So, the highway pegs have been a must for me. I enjoy the stock peg location for twisties and quick maneuvers, but if i'm there for too long it is just a painful experience!! The highway pegs make a great "option" for many riders on longer rides to use as needed, options are a good thing! I attached mine to the Skid plate for now, it seems to be a good location for now. :{)
Shad seats installed2 June 21st 2018.jpg

Last edited:
Curious why the offsets? Id like a cleaner look with the peg swivel attached to the clamp and skip the offset bar.
Needed to move the peg wider for better foot position ... eg?

Back