• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fix for SW Motech rack causing sticky seat latch.

maxwellian

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I put my rack on, it caused the pillion seat to catch a bit on the grab rails, making the latch just a bit sticky. I got a second hand corbin dual seat set, and things got worse.

I found if i removed a really tiny amount of material and took out the washers between the rails and rack, things moved back a long way towards stock.IMG_0879.jpg

It's only a few mm's in all dimensions, and very easily removed with a hack saw.

Can post after pic when there's daylight.

Last edited:
I also have a SW Motech rear rack and a Corbin seat (front only). Never had a problem when using the stock seat. The rear rack never interfered with opening/closing of the rear seat. When I installed the Corbin front seat there also was no problem with the rack/seat operation, except the interference of closing the rear seat and the too long Corbin front seat. After shortening the rear overhang of the Corbin, the stock rear seat closes much easier. Did you replace the rubber grommets?
How about the spacer washers? Just some thoughts.

I'm gaving a tough time trying to visualize this. Can you pan back a little bit with a second picture? It's too close for me to figure out what is what and where is where, lol

I'm gaving a tough time trying to visualize this. Can you pan back a little bit with a second picture? It's too close for me to figure out what is what and where is where, lol

aye and I'm gaving a time undastading wat ya wrote!
winking-sticking-out-tongue-smiley-emoticon.gif

Here's one a bit wider.

nu5a9u4e.jpg
Max,
I can tell you for sure that your grab rails are not installed correctly. The space between the grab rail and the plastic silver painted side tail should be parallel. The gap should be equal from front to rear.
You must have left out spacers at the rear mounting or too many spacers at the front mounting.
I can post a photo of mine if you would like to see what the correct gap looks like.
Definitely not correct.

Hmm, used all the spacers it came with. And more spacers in the front wouldn't have helped with the back of the front seat getting bumped up.

Here's after shots. It's parallel now.

age7y6as.jpg

eju4e8yn.jpg

Hmm, used all the spacers it came with. And more spacers in the front wouldn't have helped with the back of the front seat getting bumped up.

Here's after shots. It's parallel now.

age7y6as.jpg

eju4e8yn.jpg
My Corbin front seat does not touch the grab rails anywhere. And my OEM rear seat does not touch the grab rails anywhere either. Why don't you try using your stock, OEM, rear seat in place of the Corbin rear seat and see how they function.
Also did you change the rubber bumpers on the rear seat frame so that it is lower to make up for the rise of adding the SW rack?
Just some ideas for curing the misalignment.

Hmm, my Corbin touches the grab rails with or without the seat slope mod.

The OEM seat was definitely hitting the grab rails, not the new rear rubber bumpers, with or without the slope mod, with the rack on.

Maybe this wasn't a problem anyone else was having, but it's fixed now.

Hmm, my Corbin touches the grab rails with or without......
Maybe this wasn't a problem anyone else was having, but it's fixed now.
So you said it is fixed now. What did you do to fix it? Remove the slope mod? That probably made the rear of the front seat lower?
Glad you found the "cure"!

I removed the spacers and that tiny bit of material i marked in the first picture. the Corbin just barely touches the rails now. I think the stock seat wouldn't touch.

te8y6a6y.jpg

Last edited:
the Corbin just barely touches the rails now.

till some one sit on it.
sorry to be a party pooper but eventually after carrying a passenger it will cause damage to the seat materials.
so in my mind that is a bad design by motec.
you shouldn't have to do any alterations so this obviously not been thought out well enough by motec even with after market seats.

the Corbin just barely touches the rails now.

till some one sit on it.
sorry to be a party pooper but eventually after carrying a passenger it will cause damage to the seat materials.
so in my mind that is a bad design by motec.
you shouldn't have to do any alterations so this obviously not been thought out well enough by motec even with after market seats.
I've had my Corbin seat and SW Motech rack on my bike for a year, and the seat(s) still do not touch the rack or grab rails. Even with a heavy person on board! The design is fine, but maybe an installer did not follow installation directions or made some alterations in design to cause the seat touching interference? Little changes can cause a lot of problems.

Little changes can cause a lot of problems.

ooh I know about that tried it with our lass but she was having none of it and I ended up wiv dis!!

images

Back