• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First time rider buys an Africa Twin

MichaelJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you guys or gals seen this? I ran across it while looking at AT reviews. This guy has never ridden a motorcycle before and he walks in and buys an AT off the showroom floor. He looked at the NC700 but thought he would outgrow it right away. At least he got a DCT which makes one less thing that he has to learn as an absolute newbie rider. Never having ridden before and buying a tall, heavy and fairly powerful bike is scary. He can do whatever he wants, it's a free country - but I don't think it's very wise getting a bike like that as a first-timer. His take on protective clothing is pretty funny too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQZZc23BQE

Yes I saw that the other night while searching for new AT videos. I didn't watch all of it as it was pretty long. I am sure I missed some of the details. I was wondering if he had a license or even taken any type of safety course. It almost looked like it was on a bike for the first time. His enthusiasm was kind of fun to see but he looked like he was in over his head.

That was also one rather large looking dealership that he got that bike from. I bet it would be fun to spend some time looking at everything they had for sale.

I remember a story my local BMW dealer told me. He has his shop just off a back road near where I live. It is also on a steep slope.

A new rider purchased a new R100RS from him many moons ago. The dealer was anxious about this and offered to give the customer a few lessons in a local car park for an hour or so given that the RS was much more powerful than anything he had ridden. He even offered to ride the bike out of the gate and to the top of the hill for him to avoid the awkward exit from the shop front. The customer was having none of it.

He got on his new bike and promptly rode it into the wall across the road, outside of the gate. He was dazed and sore and the front of the bike was wrecked. Hard lesson......

I think there is ENVY overload here. If the guy has got the money, why not?
He can ride easily with the DCT.
Anyway, I think he is OKAY. He wasn't showing off or telling people how "bad" the AT was or how bad the BMW GS was....not like some big mouth here.
:p

You know?
:D

I am intrigued again by the many AT videos here.

Griff, I've seen something similar in Montreal. A guy pulled out of the Harley/BMW dealership on a well equipped GS across the 4 lane street. He goosed it while turning and dropped the bike in traffic. Maybe that was the reason my first stop out of the dealership with the NC was a large empty parking lot.

I think there is ENVY overload here. If the guy has got the money, why not?
He can ride easily with the DCT.
Anyway, I think he is OKAY. He wasn't showing off or telling people how "bad" the AT was or how bad the BMW GS was....not like some big mouth here.
:p

You know?
:D

I am intrigued again by the many AT videos here.

Envy overload? Envy of what, his questionable judgment? The DCT may make it easier to ride a motorcycle but it does not make it easy. That's a big heavy bike and handling it would be incredibly challenging for a newbie rider. I watched another of his videos and, almost predictably, he had an accident. He either hit or got hit by a car and went down pretty hard hurting his leg. He wouldn't talk about the details of the crash but at the end of the video he actually got very reflective and humble admitting that the bike was too much for him. I feel bad for him now.

I don't think even that paint job will turn Fousey into a flying tiger!

(I also think that watching him buy three, crash two that I'm done with him)

I'm not a fan of new riders starting on big bikes.
Last year a local poker run had several first time riders on their Harleys. They had days to weeks of experience.
Two of them died and one was injured the same day.

I'm not a fan of new riders starting on big bikes.
Last year a local poker run had several first time riders on their Harleys. They had days to weeks of experience.
Two of them died and one was injured the same day.

Wow, 3 newbs on the same day at the same event on Harleys, unbelievable! Where was that? I'd like to google it.

It happened in the Nebraska panhandle... so I doubt you'll find anything on google unless you know the names and can find the obits.
At least I'm not aware that it made the papers. I don't remember the names, it wasn't anyone I knew.
I vaguely remember the person that told me about it saying one went off the side of the road, and I think another involved running off a T in the road... something about rain? I think the injury was just due to a tip over when stopped... but I can't be sure.
I don't even remember who told me and it was a short conversation, so I don't have any details beyond that.

It happened in the Nebraska panhandle... so I doubt you'll find anything on google unless you know the names and can find the obits.
At least I'm not aware that it made the papers. I don't remember the names, it wasn't anyone I knew.
I vaguely remember the person that told me about it saying one went off the side of the road, and I think another involved running off a T in the road... something about rain? I think the injury was just due to a tip over when stopped... but I can't be sure.
I don't even remember who told me and it was a short conversation, so I don't have any details beyond that.

I did some googling and can't find any stories with two motorcycle related deaths on the same day.
There is also no mention of any motorcycle related fatalities in any of the counties these people would have been riding through in statistics compiled by the state for 2015.
Perhaps I misunderstood what the person was saying and it was a different ride, I am mistaken as to when I heard the story, or it was a made up story.

Maybe they were talking about Sturgis, in which case there have been multiple Harley related deaths on the same day.

Over the years it seems that many many so called motorcycle TV shows, videos, and movies, have newbie motorcycle riders. Most are really funny.

I did some googling and can't find any stories with two motorcycle related deaths on the same day.
There is also no mention of any motorcycle related fatalities in any of the counties these people would have been riding through in statistics compiled by the state for 2015.
Perhaps I misunderstood what the person was saying and it was a different ride, I am mistaken as to when I heard the story, or it was a made up story.

Maybe they were talking about Sturgis, in which case there have been multiple Harley related deaths on the same day.

The reason I ask is because on Saturday I passed a couple Harleys at an intersection, I had the right of way and they pulled out behind me. I turned at a side street and was just going slow checking out the neighbourhood, they followed so I but on my blinker and pulled over to let them go by. It was a long sweeping curve and the first of them went by maybe 30 mph, no problem (I mean it was the kind of curve you could and would take at 40 mph) the second went by slower and for some reason was heading for the other side of the road and slowing down and there was a car behind her with the driver probably wondering as I was, WTF? She slowly drifted into the on coming lane out of control (good thing there were no cars coming) then finally she pulled back out of the oncoming lane across her lane, in front of the car which had basically stopped, and pulled onto the shoulder about thirty five yards in front of me. Her riding partner was long gone. The car drove off. I pulled up beside her and asked if she was okay. Dressed in sandels, shorts, armless blouse, no gloves, leather vest and a half helmet she said, "Normally I'm good on those turns. I just want to sit here for a minute." She was visibly shaken. I could see her partner coming back so I left. I was thinking to myself as I drove on... how can a guy put his girl friend/wife on a big bike, in sandles and say follow me. If there would have been a cement truck coming she would have just drove right into it at 15 mph, out of control.

In Ontario anybody with a car drivers licence can pass a simple written test (M1) and is then allowed to operate ANY motorcycle with just a few restrictions:

1 - No passenger
2 - Daylight riding only
3 - No 400 series hiways (interstate)
4 - 0% blood alcohol level

After a short time (12 weeks???), you may pass a pylon / road test to get your M2 which removes all restriction accept the 0% alcohol.

A good looking woman, maybe 35 or 40 years old.
1.jpg

Back