• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Gravel Road Ride 2-Up

philp38

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I went on a 40 mile gravel road ride today. The bike impressed me with how stable it was (even on loose gravel). I think the mods I would like to do is the skidplate and different tires. Sorry I should have put this in Touring and Traveling threads...
April6th007_zpsd1ccf4f1.jpg
April6th009_zps051aabfa.jpg
April6th010_zpscf9d5320.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly the kind of roads I want to go exploring.
What tires are you thinking of going with?
I'm leaning towards the Pirelli MT60R or the Conti Escapes.

Exactly the kind of roads I want to go exploring.
What tires are you thinking of going with?
I'm leaning towards the Pirelli MT60R or the Conti Escapes.

Pirelli or TKCs. I have had TKCs on my KLR and I remember them riding a little rough on the highway. Other than that they are great tires. If your ever up this way let me know. We have 100s of miles of gravel roads here in Tellico Plains.

I would not suggest this!!

Look at your front fender
Then look at your Radiator, it is alum.

I want to first;

1. extend the Front fender down about 4" longer minimum so that a pebble does not damage the radiator or anything else
2. maybe a Radiator grille
3. Inner Rear fender insert or install a hugger rear fender
4. Hand Guards may be nice

If you get a radiator grill, then you don't have to extend the fender. And it will stop all debris coming at your radiator, not just what is coming off the front wheel.

The bike is very stable until you get to sand, which is terrible no matter what bike you ride. My driveway turns to sand in the summer when the weather gets hotter and there is no rain for a while. Did it a week ago but then we got some rain. I usually get air off one section of my trail on and off the property, but when the sand is present, I take it a lot slower. My next set of tires will be dual sports and will hopefully make it possible to do it all the time! :)

I ride 2 up on similar roads as well. 25% dirt gravel and really enjoy the versatility of the bike exploring National Forest roads with a Garmin to get me back to civilization. The tires will slip going up a steep gavel road so you have to be easy on the throttle. Also the 17 inch front tire will want to tuck in when you hit any thing soft. I too am looking for a better tire. I like the Michlen Anakee 3 design but can't seem to find a 17 inch front.

Back