• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling - Windshield Height Reduction

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If taller is better, then too tall is just right, right? Not necessarily. There is a lot of VooDoo surrounding windshield design and modification, but the air is not going to follow the arrows on the designers pad. Instead, it is going to stubbornly follow the laws of fluid dynamics. Well, the guys at CalSci have done the math, and unless you want to derive and solve your own simultaneous differential equations, you might read here for the Readers' Digest version, especially if you are incined to think that you are going to install a small edge deflector and "throw the air over your head"...

Motorcycle Fairings and Windshields

I disagree with a little of what they have said, but they have done the math and I have not, so I am probably wrong. I do agree with them that artistic little "flips" at the end of the windshield do more harm than good. All they accomplish is increased turbulence. My new Givi windscreen, in addition to being too tall, had this little artistic flourish as well. By cutting it off, I will eliminate its spoiling effect as well as the excessive height. A "spoiler" operates by increasing the amount of turbulence flowing over a shape, thus "spoiling" the laminar flow and providing a cushion for the laminar boundary layer. While this will serve to reduce drag on a race car, what it will mostly do at the top of a motorcycle windshield is create noise. It will widen the area of turbulence of the windshield. What I want to do is narrow the area of turbulence and place it at a position below my helmet base.

Why not over my head? The sad fact, is that in order to place the airstream completely over your head, you just about have to be looking through the shield, which I do not like. Lots of Gold Wingers do it. My father was one. I could not stand to ride his motorcycle, especially in the rain. He got volume discounts at the Rain-X store but what he really needed was a windshield wiper. Those in search of quiet air that don't want to look through the windscreen often try to size the shield to be nearly in the line of sight. CalSci gives a good method for determining this "best" height for your windscreen by using 30 ft. and 60 ft. sightline targets. Dodging the bullet in this manner (especially with the 60 ft. target) has you forever dealing with the line at the top of the windscreen. Slump a bit and it is in your field of vision. My own personal preference is to have the top edge well below my line of sight. In order to beat the noise devil, the turbulent region needs to be reduced in width and placed about mid-chest on the rider. CalSci's scientific method of determining this height is to measure to a 12-15 ft. distant target.

So, if you believe all that, I now need to cut about 2 inches off of the brand-new Givi windscreen that I just shelled out good money for. Here is one method. The CalSci literature gives another. They and I disagree on the fineness of the saw blade to use and they make use of a MAP fueled torch to create a glass-like edge whereas I use the craftsman's approach of filing and sanding. Well, actually, they do both. I have not used the MAP torch, but I find the concept interesting. Give it a try and let me know if you destroy your windscreen! I'd love to know. I am satisfied with the matte edge effect I get with fine wet-sanding. I also take some different measures because my method is for working alone with the shield on the motorcycle. Here goes...

Last edited:
The first and most obvious step is to install the shiny new windscreen and determine with great dismay that it is too tall...

Photo022.jpg

Next you can either derive and solve the three simultaneous differential equations, use CalSci's method, or take a wild guess at how much windscreen you need to remove. If your windscreen has one of those artsy duckbills on it, make sure you get all of it. We start by taping the top outside of the windscreen with painter's masking tape. Tape down far enough that you will not mar the finish with the cutting and finishing steps...

Photo023.jpg

Last edited:
The next step is to trace the outline of the top of the windscreen onto a piece of thin cardboard or thick paper. Place the board on the outside of the windscreen and trace it from the backside. If you do it the other way, you will have a shrinkage factor in the template which will make it inaccurate to use...

Photo024.jpg

Next cut the outline of your template and transfer it to the masking tape. You will do a better job than me. As you can see I screwed up twice before getting it right. Measure twice and cut once...

Photo025.jpg

There are several different types of clear plastic used to make windscreens. Polycarbonate and Acrylic are the most common. To make it more confusing, most of the acrylics are impact modified and there are several different versions of modifiers being used. This method, however, will work for all of them. I use a fairly fine tooth blade (unlike CalSci) of 18-24 teeth per inch. This is normally sped'ed for metal cutting. It is important to get the cutting speeds correct. Incorrect "speeds and feeds" is the long-time favorite method of ruining feedstock by amateur machinists. If you go too fast, you will melt the plastic from heating the work and you will have a mess. If you go too slow, you may cause an impact crack which is guaranteed to go in a different direction than the way you want to cut - say 45 degrees or so. You need a low speed, but not a super-slow speed. There is a wide range of speeds that work, but there are dangers on each end as described. You must have a variable speed saw, though.

Begin the cut at one edge (obvious, huh?) and proceed across with care to stay on your line. For best exactness, I try to leave the line, but no tape showing on top of it. Every few inches, stop sawing and apply duct tape (not masking tape) to both sides of the cut and resume. This keeps the cut piece from flapping which can initiate a break. If you have two people, then the other can hold the cut halves together to accomplish the same thing.

Photo028.jpg

Last edited:
Once cut, we file the raw edge to eliminate any errors in the cut. Also, begin to round the edge as you file. Remember newbies, a file is not a saw. File only in one direction and make long strokes as your goal is smoothing the cut, not messing it up further...

Photo030.jpg

Last edited:
Final finishing is 2000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. I use Windex as a lubricant as it is a bit slicker than water. You can start with a coarser paper if you really muffed up the edge with the file, but it shouldn't be necessary...

Photo031.jpg

All that is left is to remove the tape, clean up your mess, and ride...

Last edited:
Sorry Lee, most of your attachments are marked as "invalid" and cannot be displayed. Can you have a look at them and see what can be done?

Sorry Lee, most of your attachments are marked as "invalid" and cannot be displayed. Can you have a look at them and see what can be done?

Gee, wonder why? They show on two of my computers, although some show as a link that clicks to the photo. The HTML tags look the same between the ones that display and the ones that don't. I am not sure what to do.

Help admin!

I will try to reload them later to see if that corrects it. I can't find any problems.

Last edited:
As SuperMek, I can't see some of the images. I only see image #1, #3 and #4.

Tried Chrome and IE9, same result.

Lee, you already got your front fork and rear shock?

As SuperMek, I can't see some of the images. I only see image #1, #3 and #4.

Tried Chrome and IE9, same result.

Lee, you already got your front fork and rear shock?

Race Tech called me yesterday with a message that the forks are ready to ship. I haven't heard from Solomotoparts on the Ohlins, but I will call them today as well. It may all be coming together in the next week or two. I am getting itchy for a ride in this nice cool weather.

Images reloaded. Is this any better? I hope that this is pretty helpful info.

Last edited:
Gee, wonder why? They show on two of my computers, although some show as a link that clicks to the photo. The HTML tags look the same between the ones that display and the ones that don't. I am not sure what to do.

Help admin!

I will try to reload them later to see if that corrects it. I can't find any problems.

I can see them just fine.

Images can be seen now, many thanks.

I was asking for the forks and shock because these images made me think your bike was already ready to run, but I realized there is no HID nor handguards, so they must be old, taken before you began the extreme farkling

Nice tips, as always!

Images can be seen now, many thanks.

I was asking for the forks and shock because these images made me think your bike was already ready to run, but I realized there is no HID nor handguards, so they must be old, taken before you began the extreme farkling

Nice tips, as always!

Yes, I am adding it retrospectively for completeness.

Nope, I may not be riding before September. However, I have ridden with the shortened shield and the turbulence line is upper chest. I wanted the entire helmet in the windstream.

Back