• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Experience helps. Where is wire?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for an access point to a wire on the NC that is only "ON" when the bike is on.
I've never taken off the side panels.
Is there such a wire hiding in the handle bar assembly somewhere?
thank you.

What are you going to do with that wire?

The wire going to the front brake light switch is hot with the key ON but at least in my mind, it's only good for triggering a relay and not actually powering a device. All of my devices are powered by an accessory fuse unit/w relay that I bought from Eastern Beaver. It works great!

The wire going to the front brake light switch is hot with the key ON but at least in my mind, it's only good for triggering a relay and not actually powering a device. All of my devices are powered by an accessory fuse unit/w relay that I bought from Eastern Beaver. It works great!

Link to that item? (I must have missed the front brake light though.... isn't that in the back?)

I'm thinking of tapping the rear running light wire... then i'd have to run a long wire from the access panel above the rear wheel to the frunk, and then to the front of the bike... hmmm.....

Could just go right off the battery.... i do that for GPS...and I haven't run the battery down yet by leaving it on with the engine off.

Last edited:
OK... a long walk to Star Bucks on a cold day gave me time to figure out what to do.

I'm going to use one of [THESE].
saebatt.jpg
Virtues:
- fused. It will blow out a fuse on its own before overloading anything
- doesn't disturb Honda's wiring system
- less thant $10
- I understand how it works
- wires easily to the battery... provides easy access near Handlebars

I plan to hook up removable heating elements for the hand grips.
My cell phone/gps work the same way, so it's something I'm used to.

Last edited:
Same answer to the question that was asked here:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/10402-understanding-little-better.html

The Honds relay and accessory sub harness is still the best answer. The direct connection to the battery in post # 4 .......allows an accessory like heated grips to stay on when the bike is parked. You will forget the accessories are on......likely at a the worst possible time....ending up witha dead battery ( like the time your cell phone USB charger was left on) ending with a dead battery no start condition.

Same answer to the question that was asked here:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/10402-understanding-little-better.html

The Honds relay and accessory sub harness is still the best answer. The direct connection to the battery in post # 4 .......allows an accessory like heated grips to stay on when the bike is parked. You will forget the accessories are on......likely at a the worst possible time....ending up witha dead battery ( like the time your cell phone USB charger was left on) ending with a dead battery no start condition.

thanks, and with all due respect... I didn't ask about the harness thing... I know it's the best choice... I concede that...It's just not the answer to the question I asked.
Niether was my solution..so...it's OK.

The front brake switch does not go to a relay. It goes straight to the brake light.

The front brake switch does not go to a relay. It goes straight to the brake light.

No one suggested that the brake light switch was not connected straight to the brake light.

I think the point was that the poster did not feel that the circuit was ideal for powering accessories directly, but that since it's switched by the key, it could be used to trigger an assessory relay.

Last edited:
OK... a long walk to Star Bucks on a cold day gave me time to figure out what to do.
27995d1451330755-experience-helps-where-wire-saebatt-jpg

I'm going to use one of [THESE].

I have 2 wiring pigtails with different connectors wired direct to my battery. That one you showed with the SAE 2-wire connector is one of them, the other one has a DC coax plug for my heated gloves. Each wire pigtail/connector is independently fused and both are always hot. The SAE 2-wire connector has been around for a really long time and you can find a bunch of stuff that works with it. You can also find this handy little adapter which I use for my old Garmin 500 that has a cigarette lighter style power plug.

CURT Manufacturing - CURT Accessory Socket #58312
58312_300x225_a.jpg

-Saturday

I have a couple of ..."pigtails" going... the thing connected directly to the battery posts gives me one SAE connector. This connector had small LEDs on it that tell me battery charge state: high, med., or low.

I've attached the SAE connector to that the turns one SAE into four SAE. One of those gives the the female car power outlet acessible from inside the frunk... I also snaked one of the four SAEs in there so that connecting the battery tender is a breeze.

Hi,

Look at these two pictures : Emplacement prises accessoires Honda NC700 | Vincent Robic

The 3 pins red connector on the first picture provides 3, 6 and 12V when the key is ON. I've plugged a relay on the 12V output, to use heated grips and LED lights.

The red arrow on the second picture shows a connector that provides 12V at anytime, even when the key is OFF. The blue arrow shows where you can use "ground".

Strattuner, you have asked this question before, and the correct answer has already been given to you. Ignoring the previous replies doesn't mean that there is now a magical power wire available by the handlebars. Honda has an accessory harness and accessory relay that will give you additional connections that are on with the key. You can buy the matching male connectors online to make the wiring prettier.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you can figure out how to wire up your LEDs and accessory lights and you fabricated full fairings and other things for the bike, you can figure out how to install the accessory harness.

Back