• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Excuse me? Is that loud?

Strick

Reaction score
Visit site
That is what I was asked today as I was suiting up after work. She was on the bench behind my parking spot and had stroller with her. I told her it's not loud at all, sleeping baby? She said her baby had just fallen asleep and she didn't want to scare the kid awake with loud pipes. She thanked me and walked back to the bench.

That was the first time anyone has asked me if my Honda is loud.

That is what I was asked today as I was suiting up after work. She was on the bench behind my parking spot and had stroller with her. I told her it's not loud at all, sleeping baby? She said her baby had just fallen asleep and she didn't want to scare the kid awake with loud pipes. She thanked me and walked back to the bench.

That was the first time anyone has asked me if my Honda is loud.

You can thank the Harley riders with loud pipes for that. I hate to see little kids cover their ears when I start my bike. It tells me that they, at a young age, have been exposed to asshats with loud pipes already. It must make those tough-guy Harley riders proud to be able scare little kids.

If loud pipes save lives just imagine what learning to ride would do.... I made the awful mistake of riding through Panama City, FL two sundays ago when those idiots were leaving a huge event, Thunder Beach or something stupid like that. It took me a long time to pass all of those rolling pylons in front of me. Most were pretty easy as they were riding high on their trailers being pulled home.......at least those were quiet.

I will step off of my soap box now.
Mike

Last edited:
Loud pipes DO NOT save lives. I sure dislike being awakened from a good Knapp by the roaring down the nearby streets. Bottom line it's disrespectful IMO.

Reminds me of a time the wife and I visited her aunt and uncle whilst riding a GL1800. When we set off to leave, everyone was seeing us off in from their driveway. As we prepared to start up and push off, the children instinctively covered their ears. They were surprised to find the bike made little noise, but I was saddened that my fellow motorcyclists had conditioned them in that way.

I pulled in to my driveway one evening and saw my neighbor. He asked if I ride everyday. I answered yes, I ride year round. He then said "it's weird. I don't hear you come in everyday. Your bike is quiet.". Well, it's a Honda, not a Harley, I replied. :D

A Honda can be loud too but I've grown up now and like my quiet bike. I'm at the age now where I will probably never buy another aftermarket exahaust.

C
I pulled in to my driveway one evening and saw my neighbor. He asked if I ride everyday. I answered yes, I ride year round. He then said "it's weird. I don't hear you come in everyday. Your bike is quiet.". Well, it's a Honda, not a Harley, I replied. :D

A side note: Harleys are actually fairly quiet the way they come from the factory. In other words, it's the owners, not the bike brand that leads to noise.

Last edited:
Two of my nephews were at my parents house when I was getting ready to leave on the motorcycle... the younger one covered his ears before the bike started and was complaining how loud it was going to be... The other was smiling ear to ear...

When I turned it over, the younger one started screaming about "It's too loud, It's too loud!" I couldn't hear the bike much over his wailing... The older one walked up beside me and asked me to rev it up a few times... I think he both liked the bike, and the sound of rev'ing engines and it pissing his brother off was icing on the cake.

I kept it below 3k RPM out of respect for the younger one... not sure where he got the idea that motorcycles are loud... the bikes he's probably been exposed to the most are my dad's GL1800 and a 250 Rebel... neither of which will rattle windows...

To me, loud is just plain exhausting. I had the pleasure of riding in a "Tough Enough" ride this past January. It was about 90% Milwaukee's Best , 5% straight-piped metrics, two Can-Ams and Me. Most of the guys over about 60 years old had quieter exhaust, but the guys trying to hang on to their "youth" came all chromed out with no mufflers and leather vests. It was not a fun ride. Only two people talked to me. We started out at Indian Creek Cycles and rode for half an hour. We then stopped for 45 minutes to let people get gas and rest. After everyone was done tightening loose nuts and telling each other what special super-secret edition their bike was, we went hardcore biker for another 20 miles just to stop again. I couldn't figure it out, so I decided to break from the pack and do my own ride. It was so much quieter and much nicer to not be stuck in the middle of 50 Screamin' Eagles. Now, my best friend rides a '79 hardtail HD with straight pipes and my cousin has a Vulcan 1700 with two 4" truck stacks instead of mufflers. When I ride with them, I prefer to be in front. I've always liked quiet bikes. To each his own I guess, but you're right that it sucks that children are terrified of motorcycles because of those guys who can't keep from performing extended throttle blipps at the stoplight next to the minivan.

C

A side note: Harleys are actually fairly quiet the way they come from the factory. In other words, it's the owners, not the bike brand that leads to noise.

You are right, 670cc. It's not fair to the majority of Harley owners out there. Some of the nicest and most gracious riders I've met are on Harleys. Maybe instead of saying "it's a Honda, not a Harley", I should have said "I am a motorcyclist, not a douchebag". :p

The curious thing for me, is my most hated motorcycle sound, is an unmuffled Harley, but I really like the gentle chuffing sound of stock mufflered Harleys. (well the bigger ones that come with normal looking mufflers, maybe not those dual "shot gun" looking ones you see on Sportsters) I don't know if I've ever heard the stock mufflers on any of the Sportster type bikes, so I am unsure there?

With the Danmoto on my NC, it's way loud compared to a stocker, and too obnoxious for me without the baffle in, but starting it up and idling with it baffled, it makes an "internal combustion engine operating" burble sound. Not a *BLATT BLATT BLATT BLATT* South Park one. If I exercise restraint with rpm and throttle, I can ride beside a cop with his window open, and not be in mortal terror of getting pulled over for a noise violation.

I would not risk giving the throttle a good goose or being at too high an rpm right beside a closed window cop, so with that caveat, I do wish the Danmoto was a bit more reserved.

loud pipe causee hearing damages as well as fatigue.

believe or not, in a urban environment it causes damages to property value too, people actually like to live in quiet areas.

this is why I believe electric vehicles and motorcycle make more sense.

loud pipe causee hearing damages as well as fatigue.

believe or not, in a urban environment it causes damages to property value too, people actually like to live in quiet areas.

this is why I believe electric vehicles and motorcycle make more sense.

If I had a choice, I'd rather listen to loud pipes all day long than babies crying, kids screaming and dogs barking, though. I'm always told to get over it or put earplugs in when I complain about those things.

[Harleys are actually fairly quiet the way they come from the factory...it's the owners, not the bike brand that leads to noise.]

Yes, all modern motorcycles have to pass the same EPA noise standards.

My '02 Buell Blast came with the barely baffled pro series exhaust (not for street use) and my neighbors despised me. Leaving at 6am every morning I'm pretty sure I woke up the entire neighborhood. I rode with earplugs in until I was able to get a stock exhaust on it...and then I continued to ride with earplugs because it was still damn loud at cruising speeds. Then the heavens parted and the right deal came along on this beautiful, sweet running machine. I now ride around enjoying the sounds of the environment around me. My neighbors literally baked me cookies and thanked me for ditching the blast.

The loud pipe crowd is delusional in thinking that a straight pipe works better than a muffled pipe on the street. All engines require some back pressure to run correctly.

Those who believe that "loud Pipes Save Lives" need to point their exhaust to the front because that's where 80% of the threats will come. And if those loud pipes are so safe, why don't they ask the insurance company for a discount on their premium?

Loud pipes are the main complaint that non-riders have about motorcycles in general and I can't blame them. Noise is also the reasons there are some communities that don't allow motorcycles of any kind. Sitting on my deck on Sunday morning, reading the paper and having a cup of coffee, it really ticks me off to hear 5-10 motorcycles roar past without concern for others.

Last edited:
If loud pipes save lives just imagine what learning to ride would do........ Most were pretty easy as they were riding high on their trailers being pulled home.......at least those were quiet.

I will step off of my soap box now.
Mike

You crack me up!

My last loud bike was a NEW 1974 Suki 250 2-stroke. Yeah, that was me. Are your ears still ringing?

Back