• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Embarrassing Tip-Overs & First Time Drops

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I dropped NaNCy for the first time while trying to park her. It was over something real embarrassing too. I was standing off to the left of her and setting the center stand. My first try the rear tire was again the curb and was worried that center stand was not fully engaged. I bummed her off the stand and repositioned. Then I lost my balance on the uneven street and NaNCy was headed downward. I bravely held on to her and easily eased her to the ground. She got a few scraps on the truck, muffler, and the right Barkbuster bar. My heart broke at that moment...

I quickly went over to the right of her and picked her up with ease. Most of the scratches others wiped off easily or were hardly visible. The right bar received most of the scuffing and scratchs, see below.

IMG_2618.jpg

I also gave her some of the skin off my left shin in the process to ease her down.

My best friend of nearly 30 years has this superstition. If you do not drop your bike for any length of time, you are headed for a "BIG ACCIDENT" later on... :rolleyes:

I guess that I'm "Good" for awhile now then...

I've heard the other side of that superstition in the following phrase. There are 2 type of riders out there. Those that have been "Down" and those that "Will"...

I cleaned up NaNCy when we got home, me too. I got a little "000" and "0000" steel wool to smooth out the gouges and scratches on the bar, not my leg or heart...

s** happens. get over it. i fell once,while pulling it out of my garage. one foot just slipped on wet ,morning tarmac and down we go. together. basically while standing. just make sure that you learn your lesson and try not to make same mistake again :)

s** happens. get over it. i fell once,while pulling it out of my garage. one foot just slipped on wet ,morning tarmac and down we go. together. basically while standing. just make sure that you learn your lesson and try not to make same mistake again :)

I did and have accepted it, but the pain in my shin is a constant reminder of this incident... :)

After 27 years of riding, you learn to do that. However the first time, especially on your "First New Bike" is difficult to shollow. Like the "Horse-Sized Ibuprofen" I had to take when I got home. I had some leftover from my sprained wrist a few weeks ago... ;)

If it doesn't have any bumps or bruises, you haven't been riding it. Feel free to put the motto in my signature through a Latin translator.

That said, my first fall, the second day I owned my bike, did a ton more damage than yours did and the second fall, the third third day I owned the bike, did more than the first fall and I was as heartbroken as you - and so physically broken I needed to take time off work - for many days. The 3rd through Nth falls\drops\scuffs were much easier to deal with. :)

Serveral times, also embarrassing circumstances. A "Piece of Cake" to pick it up.

You have to know where to grab it when lifting it up back onto it's wheels again...

I've done it (I had one too). Just much easier to pick up an NC!

Three weeks ago parked my own at the backyard, in a 1 week old conrete pavement. Center stand, cover on, come inside and just heard "poffff" few seconds later.
Knew immediately what hapenned, went outside cursing already the concrete guy even before see what happened.

Then there she was, laying on the right side. Concrete pierced by the right foot of the center stand. Crash bars scratched was the only damage visible.

Since then I am having some issues with the front brake, have posted here for help but is still not clear for me what is going on with it. I've been travelling in the last weeks so not possible to test it properly.

My suggestion is you go around easy and confirm everything is ok

yeap, Mine was a little different than yours. I put my bike on the side stand. Started walking away and then I decided to go back to her. I wanted to move her slightly. I totally forgot about the disk lock. I started to move it when "crack" and a chunk of fender plastic flew off. I looked around and saw a big red piece of plastic near by. Oh DARN. I had to order up a new front fender. Meanwhile, I glued the piece with super glue.

Ken

Last edited:
I trailered my bike home because I didn't have my endorsement yet. Used ratcheting tie down straps on the triple clamp to secure it to a U-haul motorcycle trailer. The straps were new. I bought them because they were motorcycle specific and had loops to put the strap hooks through so nothing hard had to touch the bike. They also had a quick release mechanism I wasn't familiar with and didn't read about until later. Bike made it home fine, but as I went to unload it, that quick release engaged when I wasn't expecting it and the pressure from the other strap yanked the bike over before I could catch it, dropping it on the trailer side rail. Minor scuffs on the lower left fairing section and a tiny radiator dent was the extent of the damage , but I felt like a moron.

Do not curse yourself.
Do not drop the NC or any bike, if you are really careful and aware of what's going on around you (bike, road, slope, etc).

My embarrassing moment: Dropped my bike - YouTube
Won't happen again. Haven't used that bloody thing for weeks now. I have a 2-way alarm system installed.

That's a tough one to beat, caught on video too...;)

It would have been worst for me, if someone caught what I did on video and posted it somewhere for all to see. I would crawled under a rock for awhile to hide.

I was working on my wifes brand new bike in the garage. I had put a piece of 2x4 block under the kickstand to level the bike. As I walked around the bike to get a tool, I bumped it and it went right over on the right side and right into her other bike. I think I saw my life pass before my eyes! My bike is one thing but both her bikes? The bike gods were smiling on me (or laughing their asses off). The only damage I could find was a bent foot peg and very slight scratch in her chrome mirror on the new bike. I was able to fix the peg quickly. The mirror was replaced before she noticed it. Call me a coward but to this day, I have not mentioned the incident. Hopefully, she never reads this forum. :p

Lol great story. And smart decision. Tell her on your 50th anniversary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back