• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Electric Motorcycles - Brammo & Zero

not sure if this is a good comparison.

ride one. you will be surprise. sure range still not as great as gas.

but all the things u mention about maint would be gone,

belt driven, meaning no adjustment needed every 500-1000 miles, no lube. no spark plug to worry or foul, no oil change, no oil to even check, it wont suddenly eat oil, or antifreeze, no radiator to break or replace. no valve check or adjustment, no gasket to replace, as there is not liquid to contain

there is no cat converter, no exhaust to break or scratch or replace,

theres is so much less moving parts inside a electric motor compare to a combustion engine. so less complication in diag and repairs. electric motors can lass a long time with no maint ,

you will have quiet neighborhood again

pretending that someday the prices are reasonable. electric vehicle only have two disadvantages over gas ( for now ): range and charge time. this will get solve at some point, we are almost there, testa can already get 300+ miles per charge. just like my mazda, but can't be fueled in 5 min.

Please, don't get me wrong- I thank Bruce immensely for his nice, in depth test ride report on the electrics, and I specifically am not trying to dismiss electric motorcycles, but as with everything, humans by nature wanting to win their side of a debate, will sweep the bad under the rug, and prominently display the good.

I'm no different of course, and simply pipe up with items I don't see as being enough of a benefit to outweigh the extremely high initial cost, and lack of maintenance that is, IMHO, with my 125R as the example I used, so utterly simple, cheap, and infrequent, that I would truly despair for the populace in general, if it was considered a worrisome chore to do.

I'll gladly change my tune if the prices drop by say, $10,000 or 15,000 dollars for electric motorcycles, that can do what my CBR can do, including beat it senseless in a drag race. :p

I feel guilty sullying up Bruce's thread as it is (sorry B.! :eek:) so I will quietly close the door behind me as I exit the scene of the crime...

I feel guilty sullying up Bruce's thread as it is (sorry B.! :eek:) so I will quietly close the door behind me as I exit the scene of the crime...

NO WORRIES!!! :eek:

I am believer in this technology, just DCT. Like everyone here has brought up the cost to purchase one of these is holding me back. How I would setup my Zero SR would cost me about $22k with all the accessories that I would desire. I would also tinker with the bike and add improvements like LED Lighting. If any you already know I did that to NaNCy.

I think deep inside of me, I am looking for another project to work on to improve. The Zero would be a great project to work on and to enjoy. I would have to stabilize my financial situation before I could go out and purchase one or purchase their demo unit when the 2016s come out.

I would have to let go of a couple of my bikes to do it. NaNCy would be staying. I'd be willing to get up my 1975 Honda CB360T and 2004 ST1300 to get the Zero, just not right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 174
I think the NC700/750 is probably one of the better bikes to compare to the Zero S or DS in terms of fanctionality, or maybe the FZ-07. The Zero SR a good comparison is probably the FZ-09. With the exception of range and recharging time, the electrics have surpased the small displacement 125/250/300 bikes in terms of performance. The range and recharging time, however still lend these bikes to basic average commuting or short trips. Until these issues are overcome, electrics will be touring bikes.

On the cost side, the prices are still significatly higher than comparable bikes. The comment that was made about the Zero SR pricing being in line with other "flagship" bikes is irrelivant, it is not even close to functionality and performance of the other "flagship" bikes. Like I said, the SR is basically the same as an FZ-09, which has a base price of $7990.

All this being said, if prices can come down somewhat, and battery technology is proven (espcaially in hot climates) my next commuter bike (in 5-8 years) will likely be an electric.

And what "performance" exactly are we comparing? List it out. Should be super easy since it's so silly. Straight line acceleration only? Who knew motorcycles were so one dimensional! :rolleyes:

Umm, well really ANY performance that involves the twisting movement of your right hand. the 125 bikes are fun beginner bikes and can be fun to throw around a bit, but let's stay in the real world. At just a touch over a 3 second zero to sixty time (which ANYONE can perform, not requiring deft handling of a clutch to launch correctly at a narrow power band) and torque that is ALWAYS there, it's just not even worth a comparison.

You can't really be serious are you?

The 125s are good at what they are good at - economical (the zero is NOT), lightweight and easy to handle. The zero is a completely different market.

Sure I'm serious. From my point of view on the subject.

I have no clue what you think a Zero is designed for, nor why you would buy one, and for what purpose. A race bike? A canyon carver within a prescribed distance from the city? A commuter?

Are you basing the merits of a motorcycle strictly on outright straight line acceleration, at the expense of everything else? I'm not.

"Any performance that involves the twisting movement of your right hand"

L.S.B., you're "Railroading" my Thread again... :confused:

I've driven an electric Moped.. "Flux", cute, economical...

The Zero's horsepower is an odd number to find - 54hp at 4300 rpm is on their website for my 2013 S.
But the VIN decodes to just 22hp, so I'm not sure what.

Torque is across all speeds - the unusual is the "pull" has no "sweet spot" in the power band - it is along the entire power band.

I rode the 2015 SR last week (I was in California for the Game Developers Conference.) which is the 106 torque - 67hp, that bike has serious kick.
Only thing like it is driving a loaded semi down a mountain. It PUSHES from right into the spine, smoothly and powerfully.
I also rode the 2015FX, but only on streets... so not much to add.

Illinois?
Randy’s Cycle (815) 923-0500 18307 Beck Road Marengo, IL 60152

My dad bought a Vectrix there... fair group.

The Zero's horsepower is an odd number to find - 54hp at 4300 rpm is on their website for my 2013 S.
But the VIN decodes to just 22hp, so I'm not sure what.

Torque is across all speeds - the unusual is the "pull" has no "sweet spot" in the power band - it is along the entire power band.

I rode the 2015 SR last week (I was in California for the Game Developers Conference.) which is the 106 torque - 67hp, that bike has serious kick.
Only thing like it is driving a loaded semi down a mountain. It PUSHES from right into the spine, smoothly and powerfully.
I also rode the 2015FX, but only on streets... so not much to add.

I am glad that someone else rode this bike and liked it. I found a lot of "HATERS" lurking in the shadows regarding this subject.

The Technology "ROCKS" and it will continue to get better in the following years. As I mentioned many times before, I cannot justify the cost of $22k for how I would want mine configured. Getting the optional Power Tank ($2,500) and Quick Charger ($600) is a "MUST HAVE" for me.

My son makes batteries for the Leaf. Technology improving fast but a ways to go before practical for anything but commuting. Simple comforts like running the heater in winter significantly reduce range.

Not a hater, but I like to travel and ride longer distance. In time these will be overcome somehow.

Back