• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

easy way to have less tension on throttle return?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5383
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5383

Is there an easy way to adjust the throttle return for less tension? Compared to my WR250R, the NC requires more to twist, fights my cooler-weather gloves too much ; }

Hmm. Short answer is no, I don't think there is any simple/easy way to make the throttle tension pull less pronounced, with any available adjustments via the bike's own parameters to do so.

There are more slightly complicated ways to change the ratio of how much throttle body/ies are opened, compared to how much a throttle barrel is turned, ie: "3/4 turn" or "1/2 turn" ratios and so on, but honestly I don't know off hand without research, how expensive, difficult, or even available to be adapted, something like that would be for our NC's use.

Actually changing out the spring to a lighter replacement, might be something really simple that I've never been aware of though, so don't give up or base any conclusions solely on my response. Who knows, there may be an entire industry geared up to do just this, and I've just never known, lol!

Edit

Honestly thinking about it, I don't even know if there is just a single spring or two, for the push/pull cable set up. I'll have to poke through the manual to get reaquainted :eek:

Last edited:
yeah, don't care about the throttle response curve like i might with a dirt bike, just the force that is applied by the hand. thanks for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the O ring type throttle lock . I leave mine on all the time. It smooths out the movement of the throttle.
Caterpillar P/N 8M4991

i'm not looking for smoother, or cruise control, guys. it's plenty smooth already, just seems like if the spring return was as easy as my WR250R it'd work better with some of my gloves that aren't as grippy.

The throttle is light on the NC range.
If you want a stiff one (Throttle...) try a Yamaha FJR1300 they are really heavy.
Talking about the Yamaha FJR1300 throttle, a common mod was to remove a spring from the throttle body to lighten the throttle.

Andy

For a dual cable throttle set up (cable pull open / cable pull shut) the spring tension is quite high. If one removes all the necessary panels to get to the throttle body, one could add a length wire to the spring to reduce the pre-load. What I did was to double wrap the grips with Wilson tennis racket padded tape to increase the grip diameter. This works well well for around town riding. For longer rides I also use a wide Crampbuster and that works very well.

FWIW, I also consider the throttle pull on the NC more than it has to be. Some of my FI bikes are featherlight. I think honda does it because it is hard enough to smoothly modulate the DCT at small throttle openings.

Yeah, I mentioned variable rate throttle response above... those cam arrangements to shorten the distance from off to WOT or change the curve are available on the WR250R too. But that's changing something else entirely, which I'm totally happy with anyway.

This is something that bugs me too. I like the light throttles on the thumpers I have had. I made a couple changes which seemed to have helped me. I got a set of ProTaper pillow top grips.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/709/19923/Pro-Taper-Pillow-Top-MX-Grips
The stock Honda grips are fairly smooth and hard which combined with the stiff throttle resulted in my having to squeeze the grips all the time. The pillow top grips really key into your gloves so that you really don't have to grip so hard anymore.

Second change was the G2 Throttle Tamer mentioned earlier. Because of the smaller cam diameter at the beginning of throttle pull it results in less force required to turn the throttle in the initial stages of throttle opening. The grips give the biggest bang for the buck. The G2 is nice but probably not necessary.

Totally agree with you on the throttle stiffness. I attributed most of the issue to the grips. So I replaced the Honda Grips with these grips..Progrip 714BK Black 125mm Dual Sport Gel Grip. Huge difference in comfort and it seemed to help with the stiffness of the throttle. Have had them on for the last 4,000 miles and they show little signs of wear and have greatly increased the overall comfort in my hand and wrist.

Old thread , but I've also had problem with throttle tension. After an hour or so my wrist gets unhappy.
My solution was to unhook the spring from the throttle and put a loop of string between them.
It's a hd type from the fishing industry and the knot of glued.
Still, I don't think it will last forever, so if your bike for some reason is missing the return wire then don't do this.
A 2 cm loop was just perfect for me. :D

I settled on a cruise assist / throttle aid thingie. It works great. The one I got is rubberized and a bit flexible which I think is a plus. But there are also a gazillion variations on plastic ones like this:

Black-Universal-font-b-motorcycle-b-font-cruise-font-b-control-b-font-motorbike-throttle-assistance.jpg

Changing the cam on either side to a larger one will reduce effort, but result in you having to turn it farther to achieve the same result. Therefore, the only thing you can do is reduce resistance (via lubrication, different springs, or a different part altogether).

Got a cam for my WR250R that's variable rate. Don't know if the G2 Throttle Tamer is available for the NC though. But the problem it solves is not quite the same anyway -- my WR already required just a light touch, it just needed finer-grained control at the bottom for off-roading.

Back