• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do I need handlebar risers / lower pegs / hwy pegs / etc.?

ColoradoRod

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never really taken time to truly customize any bike I've owned. Many of my previous bikes were used and had already been modified in one way or another. I'm trying to decide what I can do to really make myself comfortable for long distances on my NC700. Rather than blindly installing a bunch of doodads, I figured I'd ask what symptoms signal the need for various mods.

As it stands (or sits) right now, the only thing I'm sure of is that the stock seat is pure misery for me. I tend to slide forward and without going into graphic detail, it's simply not comfortable. I've ordered a new Seat Concepts seat in hopes of curing this issue.

Highway Pegs

I'm noticing that I feel like I need to stretch / extend my legs every 40 miles or so. I'm thinking I might want to try some highway pegs just to give me a slightly different position as the miles slide by. Can anyone recommend a specific solution that doesn't look like a duct tape and bailing wire contraption. I don't have an engine guard system in place now, but if that's what it takes for a clean highway peg installation, that's what I'll do.

Footpeg Lowering Brackets

As a follow on to the highway peg question, should I consider lowering brackets for the main foot pegs? I'm really no canyon carver, but would I then need to be more careful about grinding pegs if I start getting aggressive in my turns? I'm not really tall at 5'10" and I'm normally-proportioned top to bottom, but it seems like my legs sit at a pretty good angle with the stock peg positioning.

Bar Riser / Bar Backs

My Vstrom had bar risers and bar backs when I purchased it. I don't know if this is something I should consider with the NC. I like an upright seating position because it feels better on my neck… I had neck/spine surgery several years ago and I like looking straight ahead, not up or down all the time. I'm starting to wonder if I need to bring the bars back and/or up because I noticed a bit of wrist pain on yesterday's 360 mile (8 hours) ride. I'm wondering if this is an indication that I'm leaning too far forward and putting undue strain on my wrists.

Windshield

I've installed the Givi windscreen and I'm not sure it's working for me. I get a lot of turbulence and wind noise. I was messing around yesterday and discovered that things are noticeably more quiet and less turbulent when I lean off one edge of the bike and poke my head out into undisturbed air. Same result when I would stand upright on the foot pegs. I've got a Schuberth C3 modular helmet which is supposedly not too bad for aerodynamics or quietness. I like the bug protection of a decent sized windscreen so I don't think I want to go back to a stock size, but how big do I need to create a zone of quiet? I don't expect to be able to unfold a newspaper and read it as I'm going down the highway, Goldwing-style, but I'd also like to avoid the constant wind noise and fatigue-inducing turbulence.

Anything else from an ergonomics standpoint to really make a bike comfortable for long distances? I'm not talking about bags or GPS systems or clothing or that kind of stuff. I'm really talking about the bike itself. I read stories of people doing 1000 miles a day on a bike and I can more or less figure out the provisions I'd want to have along, but my bigger question is what do these people do to make a bike COMFORTABLE for those kinds of distances?

I realize that all this stuff has been discussed in one form or another, but the part I'm trying to capture is the WHY part, as opposed to the more oft-discussed HOW part. "Why would I need XXX?" versus "How to install XXX." That sort of thing.

Thanks for indulging me.

Getting a good replacement seat is the best, first thing to do. I like the Sargent seat since they make their own seat pan...you get to keep your stock seat intact.

Here's a post about FootPegs. These attach to the existing frame and don't require special bars.

You don't really "need" all those adjustments/mods to your bike. But would they make your rides less fatigue and more enjoyable? Probably and more likely yes. Sometime an inch here and there is all it would take to go from "man, that was a long day" to "I didn't know what I was missing all along".

my first 2 mods were the windscreen and the riser. It allowed me to sit up right and taken off a lot of strain on my neck. The Honda tall screen + MRS xscreen directs the winds just over my helmet. Wearing ear plugs takes care of the noise. So far so good.

Getting the ergonomics correct for you is the difference between long-distance pleasure and agony. But, it is unlikely that anyone else's solution is the one that will work for you. We are all delightfully different. Before modifying anything, you need to understand how to evaluate the ergonomic fit of your motorcycle. Only then do you have a chance of dialing in the correct combination. Here is a post that started out talking about the issue of hands going numb...

LINK>

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/985-what-s-your-opinion.html?highlight=ulnar+deviation

<LINK

The seat / handlebar / footpeg relationship should support good riding posture. Lots of people will disagree with me, and I am fine with that, but to me, in every case, "highway bars" do not support good posture. If you have to stretch your legs that much, the correction might be lower pegs (or lots of deep knee-bend exercises). When I need to stretch, I lift myself off the seat an inch or two and "hover". In slow sections, I stand on the pegs. While "highway bars" do allow you to extend your legs, they put your back at a bad angle and make controlling the motorcycle more difficult in the case that you have to make an emergency maneuver.

Oh, and a good seat is a gift from heaven. My personal preference is the Russell Day-long. I have used them for decades.

Last edited:
I agree with Beemerphile, that we are all different, and what works for one may not work for others. I'm 5'9" and came from a Gold Wing so comfort and quiet is important. I realize the NC will never be a Gold Wing.

I did add highway pegs that attach to the Givi crash bars. I adjusted them so I was not super stretched, but plenty to be able to relax my knees and change position on my bottom. Here's the ones I use and have had them about a year and 15,000 miles. I liked the black as they blend in and you don't notice them. Anti-Vibration Highway Pegs with Clamps - Black (pair) - Highway Mounts & Pegs - Shop by Product Type I have not lowered my pegs and probably won't. I enjoy the clearance in cornering, unlike the Gold Wing. I have drug the pegs on the NC but not often.

I do have the 2" Rox Risers, love em.

I did the seat mod as on the forum, which eliminates the slope and use an Alaskan sheep skin, trimmed to 1". I have found now the seat is very comfortable. I did use sheep skins on the Gold Wing as well. To me, they are a must. I also added the Utopia back rest due to my back gets to hurting after a while. The back rest along with the Givi Trekker luggage, if you carry a passenger, they must be petite.

Now the windshield, I do miss the Wing, But I just don't think the NC would push the chunk of plastic the Wing had. My bike has the Honda Tall Screen and I added the Puig wind deflector. Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor - RevZilla The windscreen visor made a ton of difference. In the HOT weather I flip in down, much like the old wing glass windows cars had many years ago, This pulls the air right in on top of me. And adjusted in the right position I get a nice quiet pocket of air. BUT, any crosswinds, all bets are off.

Hope this helps, my experience only and as stated, we are all different. I have done 1200 mile days with this set up. (I'm not sure why they call that an Iron Butt ride. Guess it sounds better than mush butt.) Best of luck and stay safe.

ED

I have Kuryakyn (sp?) 'highway pegs' mounted on the frame. I don't use them much, for more or less the reasons Beemer mentioned. However, they're _very_ nice to use for a brief few moments when riding looooong days. The very best footpeg position for me is where Honda puts them on the CTX700 line. That mount point is available on the NCX, if you're willing to modify or discard the plastic shielding down low up front, and if you get some Honda-type pegs, since the frames are the same between the two bikes. The Kuryakyns I have mount a bit higher, but they're acceptable to me for short time periods.

I've gone through 3 3/4 seats:
--Honda factory.
--Honda w/slope mod (search the forum here).
--Honda factory very, very slightly re-shaped by me.
--Shad.
--Corbin via their ride-in service.
--Corbin with a slight adjustment on a return ride-in a few thousand miles later.

I like the Corbin custom-shaped best, although the shape is critical since corbin uses foam that has the indentation (softness) of granite. If I had it all to do over again, I'd either get the Corbin front seat only, via the ride-in service, or I'd make the seat myself from scratch. I'd buy foam sections, shape them, glue them together, and then just have a local upholsterer cover the finished product. My dad is doing this, ever so slowly, with his VTX1800, and it's the best solution.

I have Rox Risers. They nice and helpful; I'm glad I got them.

I've considered peg lowering links a few times, but never pulled the trigger.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited:
Once again Beemerphile has hit the nail dead center. So, any times as a dealer did I see folks buy motorcycles that a friend told them that was so great. That product may be great for the friend, but never did I see where it was great for the customer purchasing the product. Everyone is different. You have to find "WHAT FITS YOU!"

Look at all the available solutions for your need, then purchase what you feel is best to solve your needs. Most times it is a lot cheaper to purchase what is availabe in the market place, but there will be times when nothing you purchase fulfills your needs. For those can not find in the market place needs most times you will have to build it yourself, and that is always the lot more expensive and time consuming way to go!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I fear that I didn't state my question clearly.

When I go to the doctor and tell him that my ears hurt, he looks in my ears and says, "Hmm. It looks like you have an ear infection. Take these pills and it'll fix you up."

Having never really tailored a bike to fit ME, specifically, I now have a long list of potential "pills," but I don't know for sure what condition they treat. I don't know where to go for the diagnosis, I can only describe my symptoms.

One of my symptoms is that my rear end really aches after a 6 hour day in the saddle. The treatment for this symptom is pretty obvious. I ordered a new seat.

I also noticed that my wrists ached after several hours of riding. Does this mean I would benefit from bar-backs?

My lower back ached and it felt good to sit on the back seat, put my feet on the rear pegs and stretch forward sport bike style to the handlebars. Does this mean my riding posture is too slouched? Would this be improved or harmed with a peg lowering bracket and/or bar risers? Are highway pegs the answer to allow me to change positions on the straightaways? Or is this symptom a function of reaching middle age... The time for reading glasses and handfuls of ibuprofen.

I noticed significant buffeting and turbulence around my head with the Givi windshield. Does this mean I need a taller or wider windshield? Or some combination of the two. Or will the air deflector be a good solution and adjustable for typical canyon speeds (40-45 mph) versus interstate speeds (80 mph)?

Telling me I really need to customize my bike to fit my body really isn't helping. That's the question I'm asking... What do I need to customize the bike to fit my body? If the answer is just try a little of everything and see what feels good, then I guess I can accept that and I'll start abusing my credit card! I was just hoping for a more thoughtful, more scientific approach than throwing farkles at the bike until something works.

Thanks again. This site and all you high mileage riders are really a great resource.

An Update:

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading every page on the Russell Daylong seat web page. It sounds like many/most of my concerns might be eliminated with a great seat. Since I've already ordered it, I'm going to try the Seat Concepts seat. If that doesn't do the job, I'll spring for the Russell Daylong. If that's not enough, I'll start throwing different mods at the problem.

Last edited:
You may want to share some personal dimensions such as height and inseam.

As others have said, the seat is the biggest issue. Shad, Corbin Sergeant, Russel and others are available and some just use an AirHawk. My stock seat hut so bad I literally couldn't sit on a wooden chair after getting off the NC.

Some of the wrist problem can also be the seat that causes you to slide forward as it is sloped forward. Some easy fixes posted to lift the seat front a bit if you don't replace it. Handlebar risers help too for a more upright position and less weight on the hands.

The Madstadd is the preferred screen. It comes in various heights to suit you. Mine keeps my head in the breeze, but it is a steady comfortable breeze, not buffeting. Some like the screen taller to be in quiet air, but I like some air to not be too hot.

There are some lowering pegs available to drop an inch or so. Does help. I personally have highway pegs too just to allow some period of different position on bike. For me it helps, but the vast majority of the time I am on the pegs. My pegs are drop style.

I also noticed that my wrists ached after several hours of riding. Does this mean I would benefit from bar-backs?

My lower back ached and it felt good to sit on the back seat, put my feet on the rear pegs and stretch forward sport bike style to the handlebars. Does this mean my riding posture is too slouched? Would this be improved or harmed with a peg lowering bracket and/or bar risers? Are highway pegs the answer to allow me to change positions on the straightaways? Or is this symptom a function of reaching middle age...... If that's not enough, I'll start throwing different mods at the problem.

I am curious if you read the link that I provided in my reply. It addressed some of your questions - particularly about aching wrists. If you think that people who have never seen you or examined your posture on the motorcycle can tell you how to change it to fit you, then your expectations are unrealistic. It is a process of education and analysis. You seem to want to buy some bar-backs. Sitting back on the seat is the opposite of the effect of bar-backs (which will make you slouch even more if you do not need them. Highway pegs are the opposite of putting your feet on the passenger pegs. You are heading towards spending money to make a bike that doesn't fit you, fit you less.

All NC's need serious seat improvements to fit anybody.

Last edited:
Your backside aches because the very firm stock Honda seat is not shaped properly for you, particularly given how firm the foam is. You've ordered another, and that's good. It may take you several tries to find an off-the-shelf seat that suits you.

Wrists and back are issues of leaning on the bars (don't; your back supports you, not your wrists), and of needing to strengthen your core. Beemer's links address this in more depth.

My dad gave me a cramp buster style piece (he didn't like having it on his throttle for his gold wing) I got the right one, he kept the left one (they came as a set, which I still think is weird).

This did remarkable things for my right wrist, my left wrist wasn't ever an issue. I would have never have guessed it would have made such a difference, but it does.

I love my new madstad (though it's so quiet behind that screen I'm having to get used to a whole new set of noises... like my chain making different sounds as it gets nearer to time to lube it, and hearing the tire change sounds as I go in and out of corners and I hit a different compound on the tires.) but it might not be right for you... lots of info on this site though to help you choose.

Thanks for the continued comments.

I have to admit that I missed reading the link that Beemer included in an earlier post. I remember heading off in the direction of reading the linked thread, but was distracted by something shiny and failed to read it. I call it forum-induced attention deficit disorder. :cool:

I bookmarked Beemer's discussion of wrist angles and plan to compare the drawings and his explanations and suggestions to my actual riding position. This is exactly the kind of scientific analysis I was hoping for.

MZ5's post from above probably has a lot of truth to it, too. Who among us couldn't stand to improve core strength, right? I tend to stay strong and relatively "in shape" because of my hobbies and home improvement projects, but I must admit that I don't do anything specifically to improve my core strength. As I age, I sometimes feel myself slipping into the downward spiral where my back aches so I don't do as much so my core loses strength so I hurt even more and do even less... And onward downhill. Thanks for the kick in the backside as a reminder to keep fighting the downward cycle.

I'm looking forward to installing my new Seat Concepts seat tomorrow. Once the new seat is installed, I'll set up a tri-pod and take some pictures of my riding position for further analysis.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the continued comments.

I have to admit that I missed reading the link that Beemer included in an earlier post. I remember heading off in the direction of reading the linked thread, but was distracted by something shiny and failed to read it. I call it forum-induced attention deficit disorder. :cool:

I bookmarked Beemer's discussion of wrist angles and plan to compare the drawings and his explanations and suggestions to my actual riding position. This is exactly the kind of scientific analysis I was hoping for.

MZ5's post from above probably has a lot of truth to it, too. Who among us couldn't stand to improve core strength, right? I tend to stay strong and relatively "in shape" because of my hobbies and home improvement projects, but I must admit that I don't do anything specifically to improve my core strength. As I age, I sometimes feel myself slipping into the downward spiral where my back aches so I don't do as much so my core loses strength so I hurt even more and do even less... And onward downhill. Thanks for the kick in the backside as a reminder to keep fighting the downward cycle.

I'm looking forward to installing my new Seat Concepts seat tomorrow. Once the new seat is installed, I'll set up a tri-pod and take some pictures of my riding position for further analysis.

Thanks again!

ha ha! I'm horrible at getting distracted, especially with anything youtube related. It just keeps branching off into more and more, and more intriguing things, and pretty soon I have no idea what I originally went there to look at :rolleyes:

Totally get the spiral of sore back/don't do anything because back is sore/back gets worse due to immobility...:(

Last edited:
I think the 2" Rox Risers are the most effective farkle I've bought to date. My hands would actually cramp within a hour or two of continuous riding (NOT grip of death). I tried repositioning the bars several ways and got no relief. Adding the Rox risers eliminated the cramping and adding grip puppies later eliminated the last of the soreness.

I'm struggling right now with a sore/hurting back following a couple months of traveling for work, so I definitely sympathize there.

I also have a certain amount of difficulty with starting
SQUIRREL!!!

When I first got the bike my hands would go numb. I found it was from gripping the bars too hard. I had to practice relaxing my grip...yes practice lol. My natural tendency is to control so was a good exercise. I doesn't bother me anymore. I only have issues now when I go on longer rides. My core gets tired and I compensate by putting more pressure on the bars. At least I'm aware of it now :)

I'm 61, and a bit beat up from 18 years of roadracing. I found the stock NC700X ergonomics to be a disaster. My back was arched, my nuts were smashed, feet too far rearward and too high, and bars too low. Windshield too small, seat height too high, forks too harsh, etc...

I love the DCT, weight and gas mileage, so I have set out to make it fit me...

done:
adjustable lowering links from ebay
heavy rear spring on a Tuono shock
short sidestand
Corbin saddle (sometimes with airhawk 2, jury still out on that)
Kuryakyn mini-boards for foot pegs
Puig touring screen with additional lip at top

to do:
puig engine bars with Kuryakyn offset highway peg mounts (might move mini-boards here)
hand protectors and/or heated grips for winter

things I have tried, but undone:
rox risers (moved my torso back making forward slide on seat more exaggerated.
seat slope mod (caused squeaking of frunk lid, and raised seat height, didn't solve smashed nuts)
bead rider beads (had them on shelf)
40mm offset ebay footpegs (may go back on if mini-boards go forward as hiway pegs)
front forks slid up in triple clamps both 10mm and 19mm (at 19mm, I bottomed sump on speed bumps)
zero gravity windscreen

My feeling compared to my other bikes, is the only way I'm going to be happy with the saddle is to get some forward pegs so I can push myself back while in the saddle. If the highway pegs don't begin to bring this package together, I may flip this bike.

My feeling compared to my other bikes, is the only way I'm going to be happy with the saddle is to get some forward pegs so I can push myself back while in the saddle. If the highway pegs don't begin to bring this package together, I may flip this bike.

A Russell seat will completely fix the seat discomfort and slipping forward syndrome, but it is indeed taller. Taller improves the issue of the feet being too high so long as you are tall enough to still reach the ground. We disagree on the pegs being too far rearward. Windshield and harsh forks are easily fixable. Properly sorted, this is as good a long-distance bike as I have owned. Stock, it is as you say, a disaster.

a little off topic. Beemerphile, did I see somewhere where you said you are 6'2"? If so, do you have lowered pegs?

Back