• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DIY guide for mounting a center stand?

Teknor

Reaction score
Visit site
Called my AD today and asked for the price for a center stand incl mounting. The lady on the phone said mentioning NC700X and center stand in the same sentence was like giving the mechanics nightmare. She said they had to unmount the exhaust system and gave an estimate of 3 to 4 hours. Is it really this complex? To put on a center stand? I was hoping to find a DIY guide or the instruction sheet and do it myself...

My dealer quoted 30 minutes and $65 to mount a centerstand. I installed mine myself in about 30 minutes. The directions do say to remove the two exhaust mounting bolts in order to gain room to install the centerstand spring hook in a threaded hole in the frame. Others have said here that they did not have to remove the bolts. It took but a moment to do this but if you don't have to then you save that time.

There is another thread already here describing how to mount it - I posted that much and others chimed in with their experience.

Looky here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/351-center-stand-installation-question.html

Last edited:
I mounted mine in about 20 minutes. Just make sure that you put the springs on before you insert the pivot bolt and have someone put that bolt in for you when you stretch the springs.

Called my AD today and asked for the price for a center stand incl mounting. The lady on the phone said mentioning NC700X and center stand in the same sentence was like giving the mechanics nightmare. She said they had to unmount the exhaust system and gave an estimate of 3 to 4 hours. Is it really this complex? To put on a center stand? I was hoping to find a DIY guide or the instruction sheet and do it myself...

That lady is serving you pure BS! You can do it yourself in 20 minutes or less. First time! I can e-mail you the instructions in the installation manual if you want.

EDIT:
I just e-mailed the manual to you!

Last edited:
I didn't lower the entire exhaust, but considered it to gain access for my brake spring tool between the exhaust pipe and frame. Actually, removing the 2 bolts that hold up the can gave me just enough room for the tool by wedging the can down. Once you know the direction of best access, which we are giving you here, it shouldn't take more than a half hour. The stand itself goes on pretty easily. The spring is what will take the most time.

That lady is serving you pure BS! You can do it yourself in 20 minutes or less. First time! I can e-mail you the instructions in the installation manual if you want.

EDIT:

Hey can you email me a copy as well. My stand just arrived today from Japan. Ordered from Webike, I don't read japanese. I could probably figure it out but it would be nice to know I did it right.

Thanks Super. Very much appreciated.

Is a jack needed or is the installation doable with only the regular side stand?

EDIT: Looks very easy and that a jack should not be needed. Thanks for all help.

Last edited:
Hi all, what a coincidence! We picked up my stand from the dealer yesterday after ordering on Saturday. Really did not have a choice, I picked up a nail or something in the front tyre. My hubby installed it while I was on the phone, he just said those springs are always a bit of a bother and then I could try to get it on the stand. QED. What a pleasure!

Attachments

• 2012-09-11 18.54.16.jpg
    2012-09-11 18.54.16.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 2012-09-11 18.54.03.jpg
    2012-09-11 18.54.03.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 292
Well, I got mine on too. What an arm-builder that was! I finally used the method of installing the springs first and then muscling the stand into alignment while a helper-elf tapped in the pivot shaft. It would have helped if the upper spring pin was more resistant to the springs working off the end of it while you were jacking around on the bottom attachment point. But, nonetheless, finished without incident. Honda also saw fit to save a bit of coin at my expense and leave out the handy 6mm screw that holds the pivot shaft in. No worries, Honda. Glad to help you out by supplying my own parts to install the aftermarket stand that I bought that should have been on the bike anyway.

Similar to some of the other Honda options parts I've bought recently, I would not have been surprised to find in the instructions the statement:

"...requires 6mm socket head screw part number 08FA-021-B (sold separately)."

Was nervous about this install, but managed to get the job done with my wife as helper. :) Didn't have to remove the muffler bolts, was able to the hook bolt in and tightened, though it would have been slightly easier with a little more clearance.

Decided to go straight for the install springs first method based on this thread. Thought it had gone surprisingly well until I realized while I was paying attention to aligning the holes while my wife shoved the bolt through... the shorter spring had come unhooked.

Instead of starting over, we tried the tying some rope and pulling at the spring and almost got it before the rope broke... sending me flying. Had my full weight into it. We wasted a good extra 45mins fooling with this before I just tapped the bolt back out, rehooked the springs, and muscled it into position while the wife tried to shove the bolt through. Had to tap the last quarter of an inch using a hammer, but finished the job.

Was worth doing ourselves, but would have been so much easier had we not spent so much time trying to pull the spring into position with nylon rope.

I ended up crossthreading the spring pin on mine by one thread because I was trying to work around the muffler and just didn't realize I had done it until it was too late. The pin is solid nonetheless but if anyone ever decides to take it out they will have to fill, drill and tap to get a new one back in. For the springs, I put a bit of a curve into the end of an old screwdriver to use as a spring lever and they springs slipped right in. I should have taped up my fulcrum point to prevent scratching but I didn't and its the bottom of the kickstand. I don't expect it to stay pretty anyway.

Well, I got mine on too. What an arm-builder that was! I finally used the method of installing the springs first and then muscling the stand into alignment while a helper-elf tapped in the pivot shaft. It would have helped if the upper spring pin was more resistant to the springs working off the end of it while you were jacking around on the bottom attachment point. But, nonetheless, finished without incident. Honda also saw fit to save a bit of coin at my expense and leave out the handy 6mm screw that holds the pivot shaft in. No worries, Honda. Glad to help you out by supplying my own parts to install the aftermarket stand that I bought that should have been on the bike anyway.

Similar to some of the other Honda options parts I've bought recently, I would not have been surprised to find in the instructions the statement:

"...requires 6mm socket head screw part number 08FA-021-B (sold separately)."

Just received my American sourced OEM center stand (still in a Honda box). Bolt was included and instructions included it as well. This bolt was unusually shaped, with a shoulder to fit inside the pivot tab. A regular bolt would work fine, but this one is nice.

Honda likes all their bolts dry apparently - first time I've removed one. I went ahead and added a drop of thread lock to each one as I assembled it. Don't want to lose those special OEM bolts!

Just installed it, 20 mins is about right if you do the spring trick described above. Of course, after installing it I realized I do not have the human strengh to pull the bike back on the stand. Hmmm. Maybe on dirt?

For me, about 180 pounds, just standing on the center stand foot extension brings it a third of the way or so to over dead center. It doesn't feel like that much effort to me to bring it up. Is there a chance you were on a slope?

Your info shows the NC700X but if you have an S and used the X stand, I expect that would be more difficult. The reverse would be super easy, but won't have the wheel clear of the ground.

Last edited:
Back