• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Differences between 2012 & 2013 NC700X?

RedRob

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings all,

I'm new to the community, been scouring through these forums for the past few weeks learning as much as I can about the NC700x. I first saw it at the NYMC show earlier this year and was instantly hooked. Currently working with a potential buyer to take one or both of my current bikes off my hands so I can pick up the NC (with manual trans of course :) ).

Had one question that I haven't been able to find the answer to yet: Were any major changes done to the 2013 model to justify the $500 price increase? Is there any reason to opt for a 2013 over a 2012 (although it looks like I'd be lucky to find a 2012 at this point in time).

I read somewhere that the front forks travel was reduced a little bit on the 2013.

Price and color are the only changes I've heard about. I doubt you will see any changes for 10 years if Ma Honda keeps her current ways. The ST came out in Europe in 2002 and all they've changed to the bike was a plastic side cover. You can pay 2013 prices for what is basically a 2002 model. At least parts will be a ail able for a long time.
Mike

2012 nc700x

2013 nc700x

From the looks of it - The front forks have 1/2 inch less travel and the bike comes in red.

Can't see it, if the suspension changed then the wheelbase, rake, trail, and seat height would have changed. According to the specs, they didn't... so does the 2013 have six inches of travel, or do our 2012's have only five and a half.... ???

Oh, and up here in Canuckville, same- the new colour is red. (versus 2012's black)

And the Honda bastards have discounted the 2013's by $500.00! The price is now $8,499.00 instead of $8,999.00

Grrr :mad:

Can't see it, if the suspension changed then the wheelbase, rake, trail, and seat height would have changed. According to the specs, they didn't... so does the 2013 have six inches of travel, or do our 2012's have only five and a half.... ???

The 2013s have 5.6 inches of travel in the front forks instead of the 2012's 6 inches. Honda simply changed the cylinder design in the front forks for whatever reason their engineers decided was worthwhile - proving they were doing something - for instance. It's certainly not enough of a change to affect the whole bike.

My bet is that in the end there is no difference between the 2012 and the 2013 NC700X except the pricing and the color choice. Specs for the front suspension? It's very common for the Web site to have typos, and copy/paste from the wrong model. In fact, if you go to Honda's USA site right now and look at the specs for a 2013 DCT model, it says Transmission: Six speed, and it lists the weight (472 lb.) of the manual version, not the DCT. I wouldn't put much faith in the Web site specs.

Secondly, if you check the specs in the official 2012 Honda NC700X Service Manual, it states that the 2012 front suspension travel is, guess what, 5.4 inches! So you see, it never was 5.9 or 6.0 inches. It was all a lie :)eek:!), and there is actually no difference between the 2012 and 2013 suspension.

When I had my forks apart for the Gold Valve Emulator upgrade, I guess I could have measured the actual travel, but I didn't think to do it at the time.

Honda rarely makes small changes from year to year without a compelling reason. Many models persist with few, if any hardware changes for their entire product life cycle.

Greg

Last edited:
It was stated somewhere over here cam chain tensioner part no was changed. There had been some outages.

they probably over engineered the 1st of forks.
may have a lower spec bits inside which may alter the height or maybe they realise that the cb500x forks are the same and cheaper??

There are ZERO changes in the 2013 model except for the color, directly from a Honda rep. who was recently at my dealership who was meeting with the owner. The internet is FULL of misleading information/inaccurate information and typos. There are no cases of any cam chain failures in the U.S. and no parts changes if you check an online parts dealer and compare. The Honda rep. told me he actually reads internet forums to prepare to address such concerns when he meets with people at trade shows, and he was familiar with all the conjecture on this model. Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Back