• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Decided on tires....now to decide what rear tire size?

Jut8

Reaction score
Visit site
So after a lot of going back and forth on what to get, I decided the Shinko 705's are the route to go for new rubber on 2012 NC700x. I liked the look of the 805's and the TKC80's, but realistically, i mostly ride the road for commuting, and the most offroad I will see on the bike is when i pack up my mountain bike, and we are on fireroads or dirt/gravel roads, so i think teh 705 will fit the bill. Plus I think the 705 radial will ride nicer than the 805 bias ply....at least that has been my observations when riding ATV tires, correct me if i am wrong, but the radials really seem to give a much more compliant ride, and the bias tires are really stiff.

So for the rear, what you you guys running, the 170/60-17 or the 150/70-17? Any opinions on either? I am running a rear hugger, but I think I should have the clearance for either one. Sticking with the stock size up front.

I went with the 150/70-17 for the Shinko 705. I think it fits the best and has the least impact on gearing and speedometer error. It seems to be the more popular size choice.

Another one of several Shinko 705 threads: Shinko 705's

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I always go with the manufacturer's recommended size when it comes to tires. On a car, not as big an issue, you have 4 and losing one generally wont result in totaling out the car. I also dont skimp when it comes to brakes and tires on any vehicle - these are the only safety devices directly connected to the road. You also dont have to worry about the gearing or speedo.

Buy the tire that works for where you spend your most amount of time, and buy the best one you can afford. I have Michelin Pilot Road 4's on front and rear. I am 90% on the street, and of the different tires I have tried, these are my favorites.

In the end, it is your money and arse on the line, so make the best decision with the most amount of information. Just remember - ask 100 people what the "best" tire is, and you will get 100 different answers.

I have to be honest, I always go with the manufacturer's recommended size when it comes to tires.

I would have, too, but the Shinko 705 rear is not available in 160/60-17, hence the OP's question.

Back