• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Deadhorse trip pictures

I agree with all, a most wonderful account and beautiful pictures and a narrative both well done and informative. You have made my day and bet many more as i re-read your posts. Your running on non off-road tires reminded me of Alaska stories by Piet Boonstra on an 84 Wing doing the Dalton. Course both of you have lots of unpaved road experience and are great riders. I may never try to duplicate your feats but knowing the X can do it sure makes me want to try.

uzu6u6e9.jpg
zebumury.jpg

So this was supper at Johnsons Cafe in St Mary Montana. The Red Eagle Motel which I stayed right next door has great views and I spent the evening regaling a couple of ladies with my tales. They just happen to be from IL my home state, they had been coming here for 10 years hiking and this was the 3rd time their tent had got blown away. They knew exactly where site 3 was and couldn't believe my bear attack.

Last edited:
anerevet.jpg
u5y7uvuj.jpg
zydanehu.jpg

So day 22 on the road, good day.
I got a good nights sleep although I heard snoring for quite some time. This is not the first room that had walls of cardboard, the tv had to be 30 years old and the chairs came from around 1960. So I walked over to the cafe for breakfast, felt weird 10 years to the day that Hugo the campground owner gave me a free breakfast after I got back from hospital. So while eating breakfast Hugo walks in I introduce myself and yes he remembers the bear story. He says he has a good dog that patrols the campground with him now days and he hasn't had any more problems. He walks in the kitchen and I can hear him telling everyone the story. He tells the waiter to give him the bill, thanks Hugo
So I hit the road I have the Gerbings on , but not plugged in the Olympia jacket and my mesh jacket mid weight gloves. Ok right away I see a nice picture, stop then 1/4 up the road a better shot Boy I will never make any time at this rate. The road is 4 lanes wide I don't remember this the night I road in ambulance they strapped me in real tight and just said this road has a lot of curves.
Just about the time the 4 lane ends the road takes a sharp turn oh boy pay attention holy cow someone is coming half in my lane , make some quick adjustment. What the heck cattle are on the road he had to avoid them . Go around next curve more cows now I am noticing cow poop and urine all over road. I didn't see any open range signs but more cows around the next curve then some horses. Funny they have fences but some of the animals are behind it then other are right next to road.
So the speed limit is 70 on this 2 lane road but my head is on a rubber neck this morning and I am putzzing along at 50 just enjoying the day. Stop and reduce down to light jacket and the mesh jacket and summer gloves .
So here they put up huge orange signs telling motorcycles of construction and maybe we should consider another route. I think back to Alaska. So my speed creeps up and soon I 'm doing 75 like everyone else. I think back to 1967 my first time riding in Montana the speed limit was safe and reasonable at that time, heck out in the country that was always my speed limit you never saw a cop. That reminds me I think Sturgis is on I went in 67 and 2000, don't need to get too close to that. I have been through this area several times but I see on my atlas I haven't been down 191 so I am heading towards Red Lodge this will work. 421 miles with only about 30 miles on the interstate I get to Red lodge , boy this isn't what I remember this place is busy The Comfort wants $150 the next 2 say no vacancy oh boy. One more at the end of town $89 and it's ok, internet doesn't work but my phone is saying 4g so I got my hot spot.
Red Lodge so some of you know what is south of me now ,one of the great motorcycle roads Bear Tooth Pass. Last time I rode it north it was one of the best days of my life. I told the wife that and she kinda got mad ,,,better than our wedding she ask? Oh no Honey. So the next day I was heading south out of town and I said what the heck it will only add a 100 miles to mile ride so I did it again. This was in late Sept, I hit snow at 8000 feet no one else was on road I just kept on going slow made it to the top and then had rain on the way down. I am going to take 308 tomorrow and head in the general direction of home IL.
So they had a accident on Bear Tooth today closed down for half the day the riding buddy of the guy that had accident was telling me this in parking lot tonight. His buddy going to fast , bike stayed on road against guard rail but he flew over and about 125 feet down. Ya not good, they had to fly him out.
So one of pictures you see me tools out adjusting chain. Oh and I had a oh boy moment also. I am going up and over hill and dale around beautiful curves booking along and deer DEER. Grab everything got slowed to walking speed about 10 feet from it before it decides to jump over guardrail. Well later

Last edited:
4yruhu5e.jpg
3eby8u2a.jpg
retyzety.jpg

So at breakfast I was showing all the spit and shine Harley guys how a real working bike looks.
Did I mention the little guy runs fine on 85 octane gas and getting 68 mpg.
Hitting the road haven't even plotted my course yet.

Last edited:
I'll be darned ,, what is the date today. Startled black bear takes swipe at camper
10 years today and I am back here. Not camping , staying in motel. I don't camp as often.
I have a similar story - but no damage was done by the bear or me. We were honeymooning/camping our way back from Colorado. We'd made it to Arkansas, back packed in and set-up camp unknowingly on HIS trail. He charged the tent twice but didn't carry through with it - that's some scary stuff! I had a "pepper box" pistol (shoots 45's and 410 ga.) in my hand. I told her don't make a sound -I don't think she could have!

Probably the only reason I will not camp in Canada is their gun policy. I never leave home without it.

Loving your account of this adventure!

"Hitting the road haven't even plotted my course yet."

That is the only way to travel. You are not in a hurry to get anywhere, and you actually enjoy yourself.

y6e5yted.jpg
a8ubabem.jpg
ubu2ebuq.jpg
hu9ugyhu.jpg
ryzeryja.jpg

So I think this is day 23. Left Red Lodge with just a slight chance of rain, I was soon changing my plans and getting over the Bighorn Mountains as soon as I could. Took 14A over to 25 and headed south, rain all the way. Casper I thought it was too early Douglas would be right. So in Douglas I go to McDonalds and start calling one dump has a room I didn't say I would take I hoped to find something better. Well I didn't get a room the town was full, even the dump was out of rooms. Oil workers again. Ok the tank is full and I am getting on RT 20 heading east towards home, only about 1000 miles to go. I wander into Lusk WY first motel full, second full, Best Western they have a suite left $150 something,,,, swallow hard I'll take it. What a nice place, my room is kinda trashed I have gear laying everywhere drying out. Got myself a subway sandwich I'm happy camper.
My rear tire is really show some wear , it is into the wear bar I figure 1000 miles left. Oh boy something to worry about. So RT 20 is a nice road I have driven it going west but this will be my first time going east. Looks like the sun should be shining tomorrow. I sure as heck at the price i am paying I will stick around for the free breakfast. Oh with all the rain the bike looks pretty good.

Last edited:
What next...... I wish we could have met up when you came thru Alberta... I live just 20 min. north of Red Deer and I too just came back from a tour of southern Alberta and Montana. Would have been cool to compare bikes and share travel stories !!!

What next...... I wish we could have met up when you came thru Alberta... I live just 20 min. north of Red Deer and I too just came back from a tour of southern Alberta and Montana. Would have been cool to compare bikes and share travel stories !!!
Would have been nice to see you. I met one forum member in WhiteHorse just by chance.

6upubuha.jpg
3apaqevu.jpg
sumevyhe.jpg
yryjy4uj.jpg
ebybe6em.jpg

Well the Best Western put on a good breakfast chuck wagon style out in the courtyard they made up omelets. Picked up several free waters , had to get something for $160.
So I cruised RT20 across Nebraska just a smooth ribbon of asphalt all the way. Nebraska went from rolling prairies to prairies with buttes and spruce trees. Ended up farm country and lots of corn. The 85 octane gas was giving me 65 mpg . I like this road every 20 30 miles you hit a small town and slow down to 45 then back up to 70. Ya the speed limit is 65 most of the way but I only passed about 6 cars all day. Somehow once I needed a motel all the family owned places disappeared I even ran 3 miles out of my way to a small town to find one and it had the NO Vacancy sign out. So in Fort Dodge things full but the Americana Inn called the next town and got me in. Man everyone is traveling.
One picture shows my seat this is how high I jack it up with a towel, I never slide forward. 24 days my *** feels fine.
So every gas station I run into the spit and shine Harley guys. Don't they ever get tired of all that noise.
Well another 600 mile day only 400 left .

Last edited:
Back